Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Painting/restoring
Reply #15 - 05/13/13 at 10:50:38

I'd have just wet sanded the base material with 320 grit paper and then sprayed it with stainless steel tone appliance epoxy. Looks like metal, seals the base material, much more durable than the factory coating... I'm doing one frame and set of steel fork sliders in gloss black, another in almond (CL72-248cc and CL100-99cc Honda Scramblers). My Savage is getting the engine repainted, was Chevrolet red-orange and I'm a Dodge guy (loathe GM), probably Chrysler Magnum orange to go better with the pumpkin and cream paint job, fork sliders matte black to match the frame unless I decide to pull the engine and do both in almond.

Chrysler/Dodge semi-gloss black engine enamel is a near perfect match to the factory frame color. So frame, engine side panels and fork sliders done in it makes a pretty good tie together color... paint your engine's inner cases, barrel and cylinder head sections a contrasting color and...  Shocked

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Badass94Cad

This space for rent

Mass-->Jerz-->PA!
Reply #16 - 05/13/13 at 14:43:52

I'm in the same boat.  Picked up the bike for a steal, but the aluminum cases are all pitted to death (not to mention the rusty spokes!).  :'(

I've done a bit of aluminum polishing by hand in the past, and planned to attempt to polish up the parts on this bike (last winter, never got to it).

The technique I learned is this:  After removing the clear, use stages of wet sanding.  1000, 1500, 2000 til it's good and smooth.  Then I buff the parts with a polishing wheel and rouge on a power drill (I bought a cheap $20 Ryobi since I hated putting pressure on the bearings in my DeWalt).  Once it's super smooth, then hit it with some Mothers or equivalent aluminum polish.  It will look like chrome/mirror finish, but it's a lot of elbow grease!

Of course there are power buffers/polishers available, but this is strictly DIY on the cheap.

Ultimately, the raw aluminum will need to be protected, using something like Zoops Seal or equivalent, or maintained with polish regularly.  Cool

1995 Suzuki Savage - It's a rat, but it's MY rat!
  IP Logged
Badass94Cad

This space for rent

Mass-->Jerz-->PA!
Reply #17 - 05/13/13 at 14:48:10

Just dug up this old pic.  The tank is chrome.  The block (big box at end of tank) and end cap were raw aluminum that I polished.  Cool

1995 Suzuki Savage - It's a rat, but it's MY rat!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 05/14/13 at 12:24:33

After trying several ideas I settled on parachute cord w/ the middle strings pulled out. A full wrap on a spoke with some polish of sorts & pulled tight, sliding it back & forth it climbs up & down the spoke,, quickest approach Ive come up with. Still hard!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 01:26:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Painting/restoring

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.