Send Topic Print
Painting/restoring (Read 365 times)
Jlfosternz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Painting/restoring
05/10/13 at 14:12:00

This is my first post on the forum, so I want to start with saying thanks to everyone else's previous posts! I'm a new rider and bought a 2005 s40 6 months ago. Thanks to these boards I've so far lifted the seat, removed the washer from the carb, drilled out the idle mixture screw, swapped out my muffler for a Harley Dyna, and rejetted the carbs - and now the bike run is running like a champ!

My question though, is about painting. The bike is scratched to the bone on the shells that the fork tubes slide in and out of (not sure what they are called; but I mean the part that attaches to the front tire), and I'm curious if anyone could recommend how best to repaint those? i.e. Any special type of sandpaper to use to sand them down, and any special type of paint or gloss cover I should use? Also, I have the same question for the engine covers on the left side of the bike as they are scratched and rusty (previous owner left it in the rain for 7 years while only putting 2300 miles on it).

Thanks for any help you can give, and for all the help you've already given!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Painting/restoring
Reply #1 - 05/10/13 at 14:24:39

The aluminum fork legs, triple tree yokes, engine side covers and wheel hubs are aluminum that has a surface what was brushed with a sanding drum at the factory - then clear coated.  The surface is not completey polished smooth under the clear coat - but has a series of directional scratches that does reflect light.

The clear coat is not excpeptionally durable, and when it breaks down it allows water to get to the aluminum and corrodes it.

Making the surface look line new is tough.  The clear coat and bare surfaces need to be the same...either coated or not.  The clear coat can be stripped with paint stipper - but then you need to either paint the surface to get it to look good, or you can lightly sand it and buff it and either clear coat it again - or if you don't let it sit out and only ride in fair weather you can leave it bare and polish it regularly.

Some of the people on this site have used Scotch Brite pads to just scratch the corrosion and get the bare aluminum to match the surface under the clear coat.

I had some corrosion on my engine cases.  I took them off, stripped the clear coat off, and then machined buffed them.  They look good - but the aluminum is very soft and scratches very easily.

Runs_005_002.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Jlfosternz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/10/13 at 14:47:57

Thanks for the quick reply!

I may have played down just how scratched to the bone they are. The fork legs look like someone took a grinder to them. Below are pics of the fork legs and the engine cases. I'm not sure whether buffing them are still going to be an option. If I strip, sand, paint, and coat them, can I later re-strip and try buffing them?

Fork legs:

Engine cases:

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #3 - 05/10/13 at 15:47:52

Wow! For an 05 that is not just neglect, but abuse of a motorcycle  Sad

I don't have experience in sanding/buffing the aluminum on these bikes so I will leave the advice to the others, but welcome and hope you enjoy the ride  Cool

p.s. You probably want to check/replace those tires...even though they only have 2300 miles on them they are probably in need of replacment

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 05/10/13 at 15:50:57

They could be stripped, sanded, buffed and clear coated - but it will take a considerable amount of time.  You would have to sand until you got to the bottom of the corrosion - and they may be deep.

You can strip the clear, sand or sandblast to clean up the surface, and then prime and paint them...then strip it off and paint it later if you want.  Powder coating and baking the pieces will require you removing everything from the pieces - which will be a lot of work.  You can paint them with the parts mostyl assembled.

Go to the RYCA site....and the customer bikes have a wide range of polishing and painting.  You can get an idea of what you might like on your bike.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Jlfosternz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/11/13 at 08:04:10

Thanks for the help! I may wait until the off-season to do the aluminum and just keep focusing on the chrome for now.... as ugly as the bike looks from this damage, it runs perfectly, bought it for a steal, and love working on it Smiley

IP Logged
Jiggyfly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/11/13 at 23:34:27

Buying a set of fork tubes on eBay in better condition might be waaaaaaaay easier.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 05/12/13 at 00:02:31

There's a point where deterioration, becomes art,...
the Japanese call it "Wabi Sabi"...
I think I like it...
Smiley...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #8 - 05/12/13 at 04:28:26

You could always paint them too  Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 05/12/13 at 10:12:41

3M green pads on a palm sized jitterbug sander stripped the junk off my cases. Keep a spray bottle of water handy, wet the pads & cases some. YOull learn the optimal amount, about the time youre done,
Rattle can clear works fine,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jlfosternz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 05/12/13 at 12:21:35

Well, with a couple of hours time on each (could have used a couple more), I've done up the left-side guard over the belt and the right side guard over the transmission (pics below). The right side was even worse than the left, so I decided to do it first. Definitely not a show room shine, but a huge improvement... it is definitely turning out a lot easier than the chrome work is.

While I'm sure Wabi Sabi is fine artform, I'm not so sure I want it on my own bike  Grin

Belt Cover:

Transmission cover:

fixed it -v1

« Last Edit: 05/12/13 at 14:50:27 by verslagen1 »  
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 05/12/13 at 16:55:10

A little jitterbug will create a texture that doesnt have straight lines & knock the crud off real quick., It will create a matte finish that looks really close to stock after the clear. IF ya use the water.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #12 - 05/12/13 at 16:57:11

Looks like they cleaned up pretty well, did you do it by hand or use a buffing wheel?

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Jlfosternz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 05/12/13 at 18:36:11

All by hand, but I think I'll go buy a jitterbug to do the rest.

Thanks to the feedback, I just use some paint stripper to take off the gloss, then a 3M pad to knock off as much crud as I could (with or without water, I didn't do as much of the job as I was hoping for). I tried a wire brush at first, but it made too many scratches for my liking. Then used some waterproof 400 grit sandpaper with a little water (by far the longest part of the job), then 800 grit sandpaper, followed by #0000 steel wool, before finally some aluminum turtle wax.

Once I get everything to at least a non-embarrassing state, I'll probably go back and try to get it all show-room shiny.  Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 05/12/13 at 22:58:20

The sander isnt gonna do the little spots, its for rippin across the broad places, well, AND it gets rid of the lines. B4 I went to that I was doin it by hand & I could see there were gonna be all kindsa lines in different directions,, the sander turned it all into one ready to shoot, not  textured surface,but all the same, I cant explain it, but its a lot better than how it was gonna look with the hand sanding lines,
ahh! It was one big blurred finish,, kinda matte,Remember to9 use water, lightly, on the pad & when ya see the silverish mush, squirt the pad so it doesnt clump up.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 23:28:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Painting/restoring

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.