Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
That is heavy.....man!
05/10/13 at 06:33:46

Before I went to bed the other night......I watched a bit of Steven Hawking on the educational channel.  He was talking about the universe and the mutual attraction of bodies of mass.....also known as gravity.  If 2 objects are attracted to each other....in the absence of friction or other influences they will move toward each other.  That movement will be proportional, so if one body is twice the weight of the other....the lighter body will move twice the distance of the heavier body.  So.....the lighter body will move 2/3rd the distance and the heavy body will move 1/3rd the distance.  I don't have a problem with this.......until he pointed out.

When an apple falls from a tree, the apple falls toward the earth....and at the same time the earth moves toward the apple! Shocked  The distance that the earth moves toward the apple is imperceptable and conforms to the ratio of the apple mass to the earth mass......but it does move!

Wow!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Re: That is heavy.....man!
Reply #1 - 05/10/13 at 06:58:55

Right... Huh

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 05/10/13 at 07:04:50

what he say about when the 2 collide?

WWW   IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #3 - 05/10/13 at 07:12:33

verslagen1 wrote on 05/10/13 at 07:04:50:
what he say about when the 2 collide?

applesauce..  Grin

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
sbrice54
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

sheboygan, wi
Reply #4 - 05/10/13 at 07:20:24

So how come the skinny chicks don't move toward me????

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #5 - 05/10/13 at 07:21:08

Let's test this out. I have a bag of Gala apples so everyone grab hold of something. Cool

Dave, I am pleased to hear the bike fired up. Waiting for pictures and a report of your planned trip to the big bell on Saturday. If the weather holds, I am scheduled for a BRC2 course Saturday afternoon on the new to me 2007 C50. I have not had the opportunity to practice any slow maneuvers on it yet and am somewhat apprehensive about dropping a 600 pound bike. So, if you feel the earth jumping slightly in the direction of Georgetown Kentucky Saturday afternoon, you will know it was me losing it in the u-turn box.

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
RatdogWillie
Serious Thumper

Nostalgia isn't what
it used to be...

Johnstown, PA.
Reply #6 - 05/10/13 at 07:26:13

It's very simple since Newton's first and second laws, embodied in Fnet = ma. The net force, Fnet on a body of mass m causes it to have acceleration a. Newton's third law. FAB = -FBA. If body A exerts a force on body B, then B exerts an equal size and oppositely directed force on A.
The definition of torque, t = r´F, where ´ is the vector (cross) product operator. The rotational analogue of Newton's law: tnet = Ia where I is moment of inertia and a is angular acceleration. The definitions of displacement, velocity, acceleration and force as vectors, and the fact that the law of vector addition applies to them. The definition of momentum, p = mv. It is a vector and the law of vector addition applies.
The definition of work, W = F•x, where x is displacement and • is the vector scalar (dot) product operator. Work is a scalar. The definition of kinetic energy, Ek = (1/2)mv2. Kinetic energy is a scalar. The work-kinetic energy principle: Wnet = DEk in a closed non-dissipative system. The Wnet is the net work done on the system by all external influences. Conservation of net mass in a closed system (classical physics). Conservation of net momentum in a closed system.
Conservation of net energy in a closed system. Conservation of net angular momentum in a closed system. The thermal energy principle: Q = DU in a closed system, where U is the internal thermal energy and Q measures the thermal energy transfer in or out of the system. (In older books thermal energy was called "heat".) The first law of thermodynamics. DU = Q - W where U is internal energy, Q is the thermal energy added to the system, and W is the work done by the system. This is the usual sign convention. The second law of thermodynamics. This has several equivalent statements, but one is that no heat engine can have an efficiency greater than that of a Carnot engine operating between the same two temperatures. That maximum efficiency of any engine is therefore e = (Th - Tc)/Th, where the Ts are absolute temperatures of the reservoirs. Note that this efficiency is always less than one since absolute temperatures are always positive (greater than zero). The third law of thermodynamics. The entropy of a closed system never decreases over time.

That should clear up any doubts you may have on this matter

What was the best thing before sliced bread?
Why is it called tourist season if we can't shoot them?
How is it possible to have a civil war?
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 05/10/13 at 07:32:11

Shocked Undecided Shocked Undecided Shocked Undecided Shocked Undecided Shocked  UndecidedShocked Undecided Shocked Undecided Shocked Undecided Shocked

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
RatdogWillie
Serious Thumper

Nostalgia isn't what
it used to be...

Johnstown, PA.
Reply #8 - 05/10/13 at 08:48:32

sbrice54 wrote on 05/10/13 at 07:20:24:

Most mathematicians would consider the case of a skinny chick accelerating toward a massive object, say the floor, or a wall or yourself as a collision that is nearly or totally elastic. In the totally elastic collision, the skinny chick loses no kinetic energy in the collision, so her speed after collision is the same as before the collision. Seldom does one consider how conservation of momentum is satisfied in this problem. They should, for the analysis is instructive. Analyzing this may also give some insight into why energy, momentum and the conservation laws took so long to be formulated, since the concepts are subtle.
Consider a skinny chick of mass m colliding elastically with a stationary object of larger mass M such as yourself. Draw the picture before and after the collision. The conservation equations are: mv1 = mv2 + MV2 (1/2)mv12 = (1/2)mv22 + (1/2)MV2 where v1 is the initial velocity of the smaller ball, v2 is its final velocity after collision, and V2 is the velocity of the larger mass after the collision. Multiply the energy equation by 2 to eliminate the (1/2) factors. mv12 = mv22 + MV2   Divide this by m on both sides. v12 = v22 + (M/m)V22  Randomly rearrange = v12 - v22 = (M/m)V22  then Divide the momentum equation by m on both sides = v1 = v2 + (M/m)V2 then rearrange and square both sides = (v1 - v2)2 = (M/m)2V22 . Next multiply by (M/m) and combine with [7] to eliminate V22 = (M/m)(v12 - v22) = (v1 - v2)2 . That leaves a simply step of multiplying  both sides by (m/M) = (v12 - v22) = (m/M)(v1 - v2). Logic tells us that we must now take the limit as (m/M) which goes to zero shown as (v12 - v22) = 0 .
Therefore one solution of this attractionless problem is v1 = -v2. Another solution is v1 = v2, corresponding to the case where the two objects do not attract at all.
Solution – this problem of attraction may not necessarily be solved by change in the skinny chicks momentum which could be perpendicular to you, or by affecting only the skinny chicks velocity component (speed velocity). The solution may well involve toothpaste, deodorant, or attire or not.
I hope that I have been helpful in this matter.

What was the best thing before sliced bread?
Why is it called tourist season if we can't shoot them?
How is it possible to have a civil war?
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 05/10/13 at 08:57:11

That was a Great answer!

Now,, Ive been pondering (& Ive had someone even show me the math)
how to figure out velocity of a falling object. That whole 32'/sec/sec thing,,

Just seems to me that at the end on 1 second, it otta be Going 32'/sec And have fallen 16 feet.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #10 - 05/10/13 at 09:10:46

sbrice54 wrote on 05/10/13 at 07:20:24:

too much friction

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 05/10/13 at 09:14:40

Whenever I'm falling,.. I try very hard not to distract myself with math...
Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 05/10/13 at 09:42:12

Any time I am in a place I Could fall I always carry a piece of water hose.
Everybody knows you cant move a hose more than 3 feet before it hangs up on Something!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #13 - 05/10/13 at 10:35:09

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/10/13 at 09:42:12:
Any time I am in a place I Could fall I always carry a piece of water hose.
Everybody knows you cant move a hose more than 3 feet before it hangs up on Something!

HAHAHAHA Grin

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #14 - 05/10/13 at 10:40:07

One of my old riding buddies used to say he got so drunk last night that he had to hold on to the grass to keep from falling out of the front yard. Shocked

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 04:25:45

General CategoryThe Cafe › That is heavy.....man!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.