Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wiring for Trail Tech Vapor Tach (Read 233 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Wiring for Trail Tech Vapor Tach
05/10/13 at 05:05:47

I got my bike running last night, and the tach does not work as it should.  The owners manual and the Tech helper I emailed said the black tach wire should be grounded, and the red wire should go to the orange wire that is the power side of the coil (the other option is the black wire from the igniter).  The tach appears to have an accurate reading at idle - but as you open the throttle and the rpm's increase....the tach reading drops and goes to zero almost immediately.

How have you other Vapor owners wired your tach?

IMG_0809.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: Wiring for Trail Tech Vapor Tach
Reply #1 - 05/10/13 at 06:10:55

It has been eons since I put mine on.
However:
1. do you have the 600k ohm resistor in the red wire?

2. I think it hooks to the Black/Yellow wire going to the coil.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1216396521/0#0

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1338268746/0#0

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #2 - 05/10/13 at 10:30:47

Goto RadioShack and get some resistors that will total 600K ohms and solder those inline somewhere in the red wire.  That will take  care of your tach reading issue.  That's what I did on mine instead of ordering the wire that had the resistor already built in.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 05/10/13 at 10:35:32

Thanks for all the replies.  There is a Radio Shack on my way home and I will stop by and get what I need.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #4 - 05/10/13 at 10:59:31

Dave wrote on 05/10/13 at 10:35:32:
Thanks for all the replies.  There is a Radio Shack on my way home and I will stop by and get what I need.

I see you got the dashboard kit as well,  If you plan on using the LED's that came in the kit for the indicator lights, get 2 Diodes for the blinker indicators or they will light up when you hit the brakes. I do recommend the LED's instead of the incandescent bulbs as the incandescent bulbs aren't bright enough to see in daylight for the most part.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #5 - 05/10/13 at 11:15:48

rfw2003 wrote on 05/10/13 at 10:30:47:
Goto RadioShack and get some resistors that will total 600K ohms and solder those inline somewhere in the red wire.  That will take  care of your tach reading issue.  That's what I did on mine instead of ordering the wire that had the resistor already built in.

R.F.

That is what I did on mine as well.  Had to use 2 in parallel and a 3rd in series to get to 600k.  Must have been 2 1meg in parallel then a 100k in series.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #6 - 05/10/13 at 13:28:46

youzguyz wrote on 05/10/13 at 11:15:48:
rfw2003 wrote on 05/10/13 at 10:30:47:

R.F.

That is what I did on mine as well.  Had to use 2 in parallel and a 3rd in series to get to 600k.  Must have been 2 1meg in parallel then a 100k in series.

Correct, That is the exact same config I used with the resistors.

R.F.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 05/10/13 at 14:16:59

I stopped by Radio Shack and got a resistor....they must have gone metric as I could get a 560 or 640 ohm....not a 600.  I got the 560 and hopefully that will go the trick.

My indicator lights use the wires that used to go to the speedometer indicator lights....and I must have gotten lucky as they work just fine.  They don't do anything weird when I hit the brakes, and I tried them with the left and right flasher working while I hit the brake....and nothing weird happened.

Dave

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #8 - 05/10/13 at 18:33:08

Dave wrote on 05/10/13 at 14:16:59:
I stopped by Radio Shack and got a resistor....they must have gone metric as I could get a 560 or 640 ohm....not a 600.  I got the 560 and hopefully that will go the trick.

My indicator lights use the wires that used to go to the speedometer indicator lights....and I must have gotten lucky as they work just fine.  They don't do anything weird when I hit the brakes, and I tried them with the left and right flasher working while I hit the brake....and nothing weird happened.

Dave

Ya need to make another trip back,  you need a total of 600K ohms  that is 600,000 ohms  not just 600 ohms.  Most likely what you will need to get at Radio Shack is a pack of 1M ohm resistors and also a pack of 100K ohm resistors.  Wire 2 of the 1M ohm resistors in parallel then add one of the 100K ohm resistors in series and you will have your 600K ohm resistance that you need.

R.F.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 05/11/13 at 05:43:31

Well......I got up early this morning and put everything together with a 600 ohm reistor....and it seems to be working fine.  I will go for a ride today and see - but I did start it up and it idled and ran fine, and the tach worked as it should.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 05/13/13 at 04:41:21

Update:

The 600 ohm resistor works....most of the time.  Every so often the tach goes into a spasm and reads very high numbers.  It seems to be related to a specific engine rpm - if Iincrease the engine speed or slow it down the issue goes away.

The other issue appears to be the common ground to the headlight area.  THe wiring harness for the left electrical control has a common ground that goes up and grounds all the left control functions....headlight, turns signals, horn.  When I use a turn signal - the fach responds with erratic readings and flashing warning lights for overspeed.  It appears I will have to serperate the ground for the tach and possibly the Vapor power from this common ground wire.

I will install a 600K resistor and move the ground.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 07/15/13 at 03:10:36

I forgot to update this thread to the succesful conclusion.

I went to Radio Shack and the largest resistor they had was 470K ohm.  I did not want to have to solder a bunch of resistors in parallell or series to get to 600K ohm.....so I bought the 470K ohm reistors in a pack of 5.

I soldered one of the resistors in the wire leading from the coil to the Vapor.....and it now works great!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 21:24:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Wiring for Trail Tech Vapor Tach

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.