Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
High mileage Savage/S40... do's and don'ts? (Read 330 times)
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: High mileage Savage/S40... do's and don'ts?
Reply #15 - 05/10/13 at 08:14:03

You can skip the vacuum line when you go Raptor, as it is a traditional manual petcock. I use standard braid cored fuel line on my bikes, change it once a year. Modern fuel erodes the inside of soft lines, plugging up the fuel filter and/or the petcock. I run a right side petcock, about a foot of fuel line, with a metal filter in the middle. Couple bucks a year to keep fresh fuel lines on it is money well spent.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #16 - 05/10/13 at 10:43:10

I wonder how the rubber fuel line on my Cub cadet lawn tractor lasted 16 years using E-10 with out deteriorating. Huh

Must be magic.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #17 - 05/10/13 at 17:08:50

Probably a better grade of fuel line than the cheap crap put on newer equipment.

I put fuel in a 2 year old gas powered weed eater last week, watched it all come out the fuel line holes in the tank. Lines looked okay on the outside, had rotted off flush with the tank base inside.

I do have some ethanol safe lines to replace the factory ones. When/if I get around to it. Have two string trimmers with wheels, not sure I'll bother fixing the handlebars and shoulder strap one.

Same principle as when a riding mower deck gives up the ghost, I've got a 12 foot cut finishing mower behind a John Deere 2350 diesel farm tractor, why waste money on the little 42 inch cut versions. The little finishing mower is a 60 inch cut.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #18 - 05/11/13 at 04:24:56

From all the posts I've read it seems that the majority of people that have reported petcock issues don't have stock bikes and have changed the vacuum properties of the engine in one way or another.  That being said PJ you have a Dyna muffler and a K&N air filter, that Raptor petcock sitting on your work bench already is a very easy install   Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #19 - 05/12/13 at 08:08:27

My petcock died a while back.  All stock except the dyna muff.  But, it's 26 years old.  That's a long time for a little rubber diaphram.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #20 - 05/12/13 at 10:16:03

I've purchased 4 dead Savages that the PO couldn't get fixed... Dealers kept rebuilding carbs  and putting in new spark plugs at huge cost, but never fixed...
They were all low miles, and stock... and all had torn pet diaphragms...

I clean them up,... drain the tanks, rebuild the carbs, new battery, oil change, etc... and Raptorize them.... then, send them on their way... at a profit...

That's 4 bikes out of 10 or 12... which would be a 30 to 40% cause of death... (only 1 has needed a cam chain,... the rest died of neglect)...
My bike was the first of the 4... with a bad pet... at 3k miles... it's now past 30k... with 27k trouble free miles on a Raptor...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #21 - 05/13/13 at 10:30:54

My '06 was stock when I put the raptor on...first mod I did...in the mornings when it was cold I'd roll up to a light and it would die...hasn't done that since the raptor...

easy fix...maybe 1hr if you go real slow...and solves a ton of weird/strange symtoms that are very hard to diagnose if you don't know the vac petcock is a failure point (i.e. most dealership mechanics).

Verslavy is a must have to keep your engine from getting torn up when the camchain stretches too far, plus it gives you an indication that your cam chain will need replacment when the time comes.
Harder to install but still can be down by your average Joe w/o a problem...

Those 2 items and regular oil changes, setting idle correctly and keeping a good tire pressure should get you way down the road for many years

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 08:39:59

General CategoryThe Cafe › High mileage Savage/S40... do's and don'ts?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.