Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
need riding tips for my savage (Read 260 times)
scotland66
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Austria
need riding tips for my savage
05/08/13 at 12:20:49

Hi, as of yesterday im a proud owner of a savage 650. Im new to biking and have been knocking about on a suzuki marauder 125 for the last couple of months.
So took out my savage for the first time today! But it don't have the stock handlebars it has really wide dragbars.  Must say they look amazing!  But I almost missed a few corners verging on to the opposite side of the road! Are these handlebars easy to get used to or are they always gonna be more difficult to steer. Any advice is appreciated!

IP Logged
gdrseeker

Addicted!!

Carson Valley NV
Re: need riding tips for my savage
Reply #1 - 05/08/13 at 12:36:07

Are you cornering at high speed or low speed?  Are you familiar with counter steering?  You should be breaking (slowing down) in a straight line before the turn, then lean and counter steer if you are at a speed above say 15 MPH.  You should be leaning into the turn and accelerating through the middle of the turn continuing ot accelerate and at reaching your proper speed as you exit the turn.

1996 Savage, Jardine, K&N, 145 / 55 jets, 1 turn out at 5000 ft. elevation.
  IP Logged
Coaxial

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reply #2 - 05/08/13 at 12:49:31

And try not to brake while in the turn... it upsets the bike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVWNinsmkAw

Twist of the wrist!

2007 Suzuki Boulevard S40 Black. K&N Air Filter, Jardine Rumbler Exhaust, Raptor Petcock.

145 Main Jet, 45 Pilot Jet, 1.5x
  IP Logged
scotland66
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Austria
Reply #3 - 05/08/13 at 12:54:54

Actually it was at low speed, I think its just a case of getting used to these handlebars. Think I need to get the confidence to throw it around like I did with my little marauder Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Wayneg561
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

West Palm Beach, FL
Reply #4 - 05/08/13 at 12:55:55

Yes never hit the brakes mid-turn the bike will straighten up and that's not what you want. If you feel your turning too wide lean harder and give it more throttle.

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #5 - 05/08/13 at 13:02:02

scotland66 wrote on 05/08/13 at 12:20:49:
Hi, as of yesterday im a proud owner of a savage 650. Im new to biking....

If I may, I would suggest you enroll in the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Riders Course. It will be the best motorcycle money you ever spend.

Good hunting and stop looking at the curb, unless that is where you want to go.

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
Borracho

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #6 - 05/08/13 at 20:48:35

+1 on the msf course.

2004, Jardine muffler, K&N drop-in, Corbin seat, Raptor petcock and Sportster handlebars with phony ISO grips.
  IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #7 - 05/08/13 at 20:55:24

I add another +1 for the Motorcycle safety course, it is best $200 I've spent.

IP Logged
scotland66
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Austria
Reply #8 - 05/09/13 at 01:32:14

I live in Austria,  we have basically the same thing here. Did it to allow me legally to ride a 125cc,  it was great! Now after a few months, I wanted more and bought the bike ive wanted for the last 20 years, and at last ive got my thumper! Need to wait 2 more weeks though til ive passed my full bike test and legally ride it on the road!
Im 46 and a late starter! Hahaha. ...

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #9 - 05/09/13 at 03:39:38

You'll need to re-learn some of the riding characteristics of the new bike, especially the power zone as compared to the little 125cc. It will be an asset, but until then and can get you into trouble if you drive it like you did your first bike. Practice some hard braking, etc, and stay loose on it, don't grip the bars till where your hands hurt after riding.....
I did the same thing as you late in life, except I had a 250 Rebel as my first ride.....enjoy!

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
scotland66
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Austria
Reply #10 - 05/09/13 at 03:45:30

Thanks for the good advice, after my test im going to take some more voluntary private lessons to get me as safe ad possible on the road Tongue

IP Logged
TheSavagePJ

Learn as you go...

Schenectady, NY
Reply #11 - 05/09/13 at 08:45:44

Add yet another +1 for the MSF course, worth every penny. Also, this:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/proficient-motorcycling-david-l-hough/1101240...

A very through, in depth read that covers just about everything you would ever want to know. I read mine cover to cover, and I'm in the process of reading it again, for the sake of brushing up. I was a big fan of the section on countersteering, which can be a hard thing for newbies to master.

2004, stock minus dyna exhaust
TheSavagePJ electrospector00   IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #12 - 05/09/13 at 10:08:43

+1 for the safety course, though I guess you would want to take the one that you get to use your own bike rather than theirs. In PA, 250cc bikes are provided in the beginner course, the advanced uses yours. I don't know how it is were you live... Also, I think that the long forks and rake of the savage make it more... interesting in corners.

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 05/09/13 at 10:28:10

If youre going wide in a corner FORCE your eyes to LOOK at the place on the road YOU WANT TO BE. Never look where you dont want to GO,
Its not easy, but thats what you have to do to drive that thing down into a corner. You need to drop right? Look right, press out with the right arm on the handlebar momentarily & it will fall into the corner better. YOU can lay these over hard enough to actually hurt your foot by pinching it between peg & motor. Ive had to drag my foot back several times in a hard corner.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #14 - 05/09/13 at 10:36:01

I wouldn't let my stepson go take his test until he could grind the peg ends w/o dumping the bike. There is a lot more capability in the Savage platform than most riders think.

Proper exhaust, proper jetting, good air intake and weight reduction takes it from a commuter slug to... almost decent... the only major draw back is the substandard suspension. Which is easily improved with Intruder 800 rear shocks.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 00:20:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › need riding tips for my savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.