Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Throttle return
05/08/13 at 06:08:00

Just me

... so I noticed last night the throttle is not "returning" like I recall. If you crank say... 1/4 turn and just remove your hand the throttle stays in that position.
Is this right?
If not.. what would be the first place to look for remedy? Spring? cable lube? sticky carb linakage?

Thanks All!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Throttle return
Reply #1 - 05/08/13 at 06:21:47

Something is dragging somewhere.

You can unhook the cable at the carb without removing any other parts.  See if the carb butterfly operates smoothly and has a strong return.  If that checks OK, then the grip could have moved and is dragging on the handlebar (has something bumped the throttle grip and pushed it too far onto the handlebar?).  You should be able to turn the grip easily.  Last thing to check is the cable....is it lubed and working smoothly?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 05/08/13 at 07:49:37

Lube the cable AND the bar end. Pull off the right side grip assembly, liberally apply vaseline to the bar end, replace grip assembly.

The throttle sleeve can develop tight spots as it ages. It is plastic and can/will deform with use. I replaced mine years ago with a die cast zinc unit. One less incipient problem.

I do have to assist mine in full return, have since the bike was new. Can't keep enough oil in the cable for the spring to handle it 100%.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #3 - 05/08/13 at 13:03:59

If the throttle does not snap shut - completely - when you remove your hand from the throttle grip there is a problem. It requires repair, and in my opinion (and that of a hell of a lot of others) the bike is UNSAFE TO RIDE until it is fixed.

Having said that, I would look to see if a previous owner had installed some sort of "cruise control" throttle lock that might be contributing to the problem.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #4 - 05/09/13 at 05:45:23

Thanks all... I think Dave nailed it... though I wont know till I dig in there. I have been tapping the stoopid plastic end back onto the bar about daily. I finally just took it off. I suspect I have been borking the actual functioning of the throttle on the handlebar.

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #5 - 05/12/13 at 11:43:17

Charon wrote on 05/08/13 at 13:03:59:
If the throttle does not snap shut - completely - when you remove your hand from the throttle grip there is a problem. It requires repair, and in my opinion (and that of a hell of a lot of others) the bike is UNSAFE TO RIDE until it is fixed.

Having said that, I would look to see if a previous owner had installed some sort of "cruise control" throttle lock that might be contributing to the problem.

Good news is.. YOU NAILED it

I removed the cruise thingy and now the throttle snaps shut

The bad news is.. I the one that installed it.. and only about 8 months ago. I swear it worked fine until this month.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #6 - 05/12/13 at 12:17:46

those cruise controls are really finicky. It takes me about an hour of playing around with it until I get it working just right.
I bought on of these. Expensive, but I liked the idea of cancelling when you apply the brake.
http://www.brakeawayproducts.com/appguide-5CP02-static.php

« Last Edit: 05/12/13 at 17:02:08 by arteacher »  

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 05/12/13 at 12:56:32

Get one of these...
No moving parts!... installs in 10 seconds... it works pretty darn good...
Wink...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Go-Cruise-Throttle-Lock-Motorcycle-Cruise-Control-1-i...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #8 - 05/13/13 at 04:24:55

Arteacher that Breakaway is a neat device, great usability that it switches off with the brake handle. Me likey  Wink

@Pine- glad you figured out your issue with little headache  Smiley

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 01:15:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Throttle return

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.