Send Topic Print
Petcock slip up (Read 314 times)
Doug

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Texarkana, AR
Re: Petcock slip up
Reply #15 - 05/09/13 at 10:21:57

Just installed my raptor yesterday, and changed the gas. Have to swing by the store to get some oil. (kind of low) Why the heck does it have to be so difficult to change the spark plug?

"Can't do + won't do = don't do. Can do + will do = do do." xD
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #16 - 05/09/13 at 18:58:52

Doug wrote on 05/09/13 at 10:21:57:
...Why the heck does it have to be so difficult to change the spark plug?

It's not so bad if you don't totally remove the tank.

Here's what I do:

1.  Remove the seat.

2.  Remove the two bolts from the rear of the fuel tank.

3.  Remove all lines (fuel and vacuum (if you still have one)) from the petcock.

4.  Move the fuel tank back a bit, then prop up the rear of the tank with a short section of 4" X 4".  This will keep the tank out of your way.

5.  Remove the port chrome beauty cover.

6. Slap a wobble adapter onto your 3/8" drive ratchet.  Pop an 18mm deep-well socket on the adapter and you've now got access to the spark plug.

Note that, when using this method, I do not have to disconnect the speedo cable or the electrical connector.

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #17 - 05/09/13 at 19:10:20

Doug wrote on 05/09/13 at 10:16:13:
Because I had not started it in a good while and figured that most of the gas had evaporated from the carb. The bike didn't want to start in any other position. When I got her going, I got so excited that I forgot to flip it back down to on.

I've done that myself! So Is it running ok now in the on position?

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
Doug

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Texarkana, AR
Reply #18 - 05/10/13 at 09:49:52

87 savage wrote on 05/09/13 at 19:10:20:
Doug wrote on 05/09/13 at 10:16:13:
Because I had not started it in a good while and figured that most of the gas had evaporated from the carb. The bike didn't want to start in any other position. When I got her going, I got so excited that I forgot to flip it back down to on.

I've done that myself! So Is it running ok now in the on position?

Well, it seems as though she is not wanting to start now... but that may be due to the battery. I just got a new Big Crank and installed it a few days ago... But my blinkers aren't all installed so the brake light and blinker lights stay on, which may be sucking alot of juice. I'm not sure how to fix that exept get it all wired up properly and recharge the battery if needed. I also have a question about the oil lvl. How much should I put in there, considering I've never done it myself. how far should it come up on the window down at the bottom?

IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #19 - 05/10/13 at 15:08:27

Doug wrote on 05/10/13 at 09:49:52:
Well, it seems as though she is not wanting to start now... but that may be due to the battery. I just got a new Big Crank and installed it a few days ago... But my blinkers aren't all installed so the brake light and blinker lights stay on, which may be sucking alot of juice. I'm not sure how to fix that exept get it all wired up properly and recharge the battery if needed. I also have a question about the oil lvl. How much should I put in there, considering I've never done it myself. how far should it come up on the window down at the bottom?

Right in the middle of the window when the bike is level, or just over the bottom when on the kickstand.
There are two positions in which the key will come out of the ignition switch. If you turn the key all the way back (Park position), your tail light will stay on. It is for emergencies like having to leave your bike on the side of the road to go get gas or whatever. That will drain the battery quick as sh#t! Sad

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
Doug

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Texarkana, AR
Reply #20 - 05/11/13 at 09:50:19

Ah, I see. Thanks for the help. I'm going to have to check my wiring and make sure my blinkers and such are hooked up properly. That should fix the problem.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 19:36:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Petcock slip up

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.