Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bikes first dump..... oh noes! (Read 108 times)
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Bikes first dump..... oh noes!
05/06/13 at 10:36:23

So my bike had its first "offical" all-the-way-dump yesterday....

My wife so much loved her first ride on my bike that she was ready for lesson #2... and getting out of first!

I rode the bike the 1/4 mile to the Natchez Trace Park and got to the first little road side park. There we swapped out and she got on the bike and I followed her in the car. She took it very slow.. but finally was up to the limit of 45 to 50 mph. When we got to the next road side park, (she had to cross traffic) she came in too fast and ran up into grass. However with all the rain, the grass is nothing more that "floating green stuff" over the mud. All in very slo-mo.. the bike just kinda slid down pinning her foot. Nothing was hurt but her pride as the mud allowed for the impact. I got the bike off her and and out of the muck. She rode about the parking lot a few turns and then headed for the next roadside park another 10 miles on down. She pulled in just fine on that one.

It was still pretty chilly, so we swapped out and headed home. A muddy bike and muddy wife... but smiles all around.

PS: Had the bike been any bigger this would have been a REAL problem. As the bike was leaning back down a slight incline. So it was heavy lifting and I was worried the tire would just spin.  But I got it up alone and the bike pulled itself from the muck. I will be getting the pressure washer out this afternoon.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Bikes first dump..... oh noes!
Reply #1 - 05/06/13 at 10:38:10

I am proud of her & very glad she escaped unharmed.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #2 - 05/06/13 at 11:01:35

Mrs. Pine,
Glad you are ok and jumped back on the bike after the spill. IMHO, you would learn more and be a safer rider by signing up for the MSF Basic Riders course. I am sure Mr. Pine is a great rider, but riding and teaching how to ride are two different skill sets.

For what it is worth

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 05/06/13 at 11:05:03

It is waaaay too easy to get going too fast - too soon when learning.  The clutch and gear shifting really don't get you into trouble....it is the turning and brakes that are difficult to master.

When I was teaching my wife she started out on a little Yamaha trials bike that was old enough it did have a small seat.  She rode around the yard only a few times and was doing well....then she rode up and asked "How do you shift?"  Once at speed....the steering and front brake combination did her in....especially when she accidently rolled on the throttle while braking!

I think the new riders need to stay in a parking lot until they are really good at stopping.......not just starting.

Glad that this lesson was not a hard one in the end, and everyone is OK.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 05/06/13 at 11:24:42

Ohhh yea,, he is spot on,, How many "Ohh thats just Soo funny" noob crashes are on You Tube that were simply an inability to stop?

Sadly, stopping isnt that easy to practice w/o first getting going.

But, stopping is the first skill to master.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #5 - 05/06/13 at 11:37:53

Blinky-FSO wrote on 05/06/13 at 11:01:35:
Mrs. Pine,
Glad you are ok and jumped back on the bike after the spill. IMHO, you would learn more and be a safer rider by signing up for the MSF Basic Riders course. I am sure Mr. Pine is a great rider, but riding and teaching how to ride are two different skill sets.

For what it is worth

Yup.. I told her this exact same thing....

she might listen now....

Heck maybe we will do it together! I havent done it yet... and I am sure I would learn alot. (self taught does not mean well taught)

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #6 - 05/06/13 at 12:22:06

Self taught is probably ok, but you will always learn something from a professional. I never regretted doing a refresher course when I started riding again after a twenty seven year break.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 05/06/13 at 15:30:31

I took my wife out on country road and she drove it ten miles stopping and taking off for ten miles just a few long curves,They need to get used to the shifting and clutching, braking,before they go a round blocks in town.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
dsluggo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/06/13 at 19:02:09

sorry u went down, you now join the been down side of riding, as opposed to waiting to go down.  Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:27:19

General CategoryThe Cafe › Bikes first dump..... oh noes!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.