Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bike dips under idle or backfires real bad (Read 123 times)
Jacob

2012 Suzuki S40 650

Ford City, PA
Bike dips under idle or backfires real bad
05/06/13 at 07:39:44

I apologize for some of the dumb questions I've asked on this site but I got one more just in case someone might know a fix.

I wanted to ask you if anyone knew anything about the TEV? For mine with just the spring it dips way under idle almost stalling or with a few washers to help put tension on the spring fixes the dipping under idle but brings some very loud decelerating backfiring.. It's a 2012, Dyna Muffler, Lancer Jet Kit, stock 52.5 pilot and 150 main, 3 washers in place of white spacer, PowerStar Spark plug, Cone Air Filter, a/f screw between 1 1/2 - 2 turns out...   I'm at about 900ft elevation.. I just can't seem to get the bike to stop dipping under idle with just the TEV spring in there and when I add washer or washers it does not dip below idle anymore but backfires real loud when decelerating... I don't know what to do to keep the bike from backfiring during decelerating and keep from dipping under idle at the same time.

Thank you to anyone that can help

Thanks

IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Re: Bike dips under idle or backfires real bad
Reply #1 - 05/06/13 at 07:55:58

I would try turning the fuel mixture screw out some more to see if you can eliminate some of these problems. if you have to turn the screw out more than three turns you need to try a 55 pilot jet. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Smiley

I do not mess with my TEV. And I have no poping or back fires. But I have a drop in K&N air filter and a stock exhaust. I am at 500 feet and have a 147.5 main, a 52.5 pilot and raised the needle .030. My mixture screw is turned out 2 & 3/4 turns.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 05/06/13 at 08:12:09

I answered your Personal Mesage about this......you can see the long answer by going to your messages.

I agre with Apache Snow.....the TEV is not often the cause of running issues.....provided the passages are clean and it works as it was designed.

When the engine drops rpms below the idle - it is an indication that the mixture has gone too rich or too lean.  It could be that a mixture or jet adjustment could change the problem.......or maybe it is a sticky slide that is not seating completely until the engine stops.  I imagine the stalling issue only occurs when you are sitting still.....the engine is not stalling while you are moving?

Try turning the screw out 1/4 turn at a time and see what happens.  If the issue becomes worse then maybe the carb is set too rich.  If there is no difference and you get 3 turns out....then maybe up to a #55 pilot....however the need for a #55 is questionable as that is a very rich jet for the Savage.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 05/06/13 at 08:55:12

You don't have your idle speed set too low,... do you?... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 05/06/13 at 09:22:30

If your fix creates a new problem, then what was fixed was not the problem.
return it to stock and try another.

1st be certain, you have a clean carb and you have assembled it correctly. Next make all adjustments as best you can.

You might even have to redo some and start all over.

Idle speed seems to affect all others, so try a high idle speed (1200 rpm) and if that didn't work try a low (1000).

WWW   IP Logged
Jacob

2012 Suzuki S40 650

Ford City, PA
Reply #5 - 05/06/13 at 14:48:20

Thanks everyone.. Will be trying a few tips when I get a chance to work on her.. Thanks again

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 05/06/13 at 15:57:43

Mine used to shut off if I was running at high speed & slapped the gas shut.
Raised the idle & that went away

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:24:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike dips under idle or backfires real bad

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.