Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Re: New rider questions
Reply #15 - 06/13/13 at 18:50:07

Ianmh wrote on 05/04/13 at 22:55:46:
....It's like I ride for 30 minutes and get home and turn into an fumbling idiot. Tonight I had to walk it down backwards from a ramp and try again. Embarrassing....[

Something I started doing years ago:

When starting on a hill, keep the bike from rolling backward using the rear brake pedal.  Throttle and clutch like you are going to pull away from a stop.  When the clutch is in the friction zone with some throttle, you will feel the suspension react as the bike is straining a bit.  At this point, smoothly release the brake pedal.  You won't drift backward....not even an inch!

Practice on level ground a few times before doing this in anger.....

BTW, I sometimes do this using the front brake.  It's not really that hard!

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
MWR06AZ
YaBB Newbies

Glendale, AZ

Reply #16 - 06/18/13 at 17:44:38

For casual/conservative I usually do 2nd at 15-20 mph, 3rd at 25-30 mph, 4th at 35-40 mph, and 5th at 45-50 mph.

Just doing that in my head that converts to 2nd at 25-32kph, 3rd at 42-50 kph, 4th at around 55-65 kph, 5th at 72-80 kph. If you really need to remember the engine is capable of getting to the 80 kph speed once you're in second gear so you can be more aggressive on the throttle. Fun every now and then but I like the good gas mileage overall.

2006 S40
  IP Logged
Ianmh
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto
Reply #17 - 06/20/13 at 17:08:59

Thanks for all the info. I wish this forum alerted me when a thread updates. Smiley

jcstokes, No, I didn't teach myself, I took a course last year. I live downtown, so there's not really anywhere to practice, you leave my place and your mixed in with hundreds of other cars instantly. Not great for a newb. As for the signals, I'm getting better at remembering, but still forget sometimes. Sad 75mph seems crazy for 3rd?

oldNslow, getting better at the garage now.  Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
tokn
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 06/20/13 at 17:34:17

Hiya,

I'm a beginner rider myself, 34yrs old and just started riding a month ago.

One thing I would suggest is taking a Motorcycle Safety Foundation type course.

They teach you all the basics and excellent riding strategies.  It was night and day difference for me before and after the class.  My riding confidence increased dramatically after the class.

Since you're in Canada I don't know if its called the same thing, but I highly recommend a beginner biker course like it.

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #19 - 06/20/13 at 17:58:43

Ianmh there is a notification option there for post threads   Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #20 - 06/20/13 at 18:14:10

Ianmh, the 75 mph 120 kph max in third may be crazy, but it's what the handbook says, 100 kph in third no trouble.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Snubby241
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

ESCONDIDO, CA 920029
Reply #21 - 06/20/13 at 19:10:31

tokn wrote on 06/20/13 at 17:34:17:
Hiya,

I'm a beginner rider myself, 34yrs old and just started riding a month ago.

One thing I would suggest is taking a Motorcycle Safety Foundation type course.

They teach you all the basics and excellent riding strategies.  It was night and day difference for me before and after the class.  My riding confidence increased dramatically after the class.

Since you're in Canada I don't know if its called the same thing, but I highly recommend a beginner biker course like it.

If you can find someone who does one on one coaching, I highly recommend that. I did the MSF, which I've heard good and bad about, mine was on the bad side.  Took more lessons at another school,  but the best is the one on one I'm doing now.  Really pays off when the instructor can focus on you instead of a gaggle of bikes.

2013 S40, I don't want a pickle.
  IP Logged
tokn
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 06/20/13 at 21:15:06

Quote:
If you can find someone who does one on one coaching, I highly recommend that. I did the MSF, which I've heard good and bad about, mine was on the bad side.  Took more lessons at another school,  but the best is the one on one I'm doing now.  Really pays off when the instructor can focus on you instead of a gaggle of bikes.

Agreed, one on one is always best.

We had ten people in my MSF class with two coaches, so the ratio wasn't bad at all.

But the key thing for me was picking up the good habits through the class, rather than having to figure things out and possible developing bad habits as I went.

IP Logged
Ianmh
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto
Reply #23 - 06/20/13 at 21:27:56

ToesNose, I didn't notice the notification button. Thanks.  Roll Eyes

As for the courses, I took a 3 day cours last fall. I actually failed the test, but passed it on a retake the next weekend. I stalled the bike too many times the first time, although for some reason I never stall the S40, so I blame the bike.  Grin

Might take an advanced course in the fall.

WWW   IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #24 - 06/21/13 at 04:48:55

Ianmh wrote on 06/20/13 at 21:27:56:
Might take an advanced course in the fall.

Ianmh make sure to read the description of the Advanced riders course before enrolling. Here in the states the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) has many levels, and Advanced is just that... for advanced riders. See if there are intermediate levels before jumping to the finish line  Smiley

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Ianmh
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto
Reply #25 - 06/21/13 at 10:32:23

The advanced course I'm talking about is actually for the final stage of licensing. In Ontario we have M1, M2, and M, I have my M2, but the advance course has the M exit test once it's done.

WWW   IP Logged
savagerider87

Riding a quality
Japanese machine
since '13

Northern NY
Reply #26 - 06/24/13 at 19:09:46

this is my first bike and first year riding as well..... its a lil nerve racking at first, but it gets better with time welcome to the forum this place is a wealth of knowledge and just great people in general.  I dont know how it works in Canada, but here in the states we have the motorcycle safety foundation, which is a national training provider that educates new riders and is a major help to the first timer, they will teach you the fundamentals of motorcycling and trust me i learned a ton of useful info try checking with your local DMV, they might offer a similar course  in your area Smiley

1987 650 F Jardine exhaust,custom leather lever covers,and Corbin seat
2014 Star Bolt R-Spec
  IP Logged
SkyHigh
YaBB Newbies

Get your kicks on
Route 66...

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #27 - 06/25/13 at 00:07:46

Quote:
I had never even sat on a motorcycle let alone rode one until 2 years ago at the age of 52, when I bought my 2011 S40. I rode around the neighborhood a lot at first, getting up to 35 MPH in 3rd. When I felt I was ready to tackle heavier traffic, higher speeds, and traffic lights, I ventured out onto the main roads here. I was nervous as heck but did all right. The strange part was feeling the wind buffeting my head around with the full-face helmet on.

Two years later and I'm riding comfortably at 75 - 80 MPH on I-10 here on 60-mile round-trips. My opinion is that anyone can ride a motorcycle on straight roads and easy curves quite adeptly; it's the slow, tight turns and scenarios where you inch along at walking speed that are toughest.

As you ride more and more, you'll become a good rider. Just be very careful on that ramp leading to your above-ground garage. And remember to never apply your front brake while turning on that ramp nor anywhere else or you can drop the bike. For those instances, use your rear brake only and feed power to the tranny gingerly with the clutch. Use the front brake only when stopping in a straight line.

Welcome to SS and the best of luck to you!

Hi All, I'm new here also and was encouraged to see this comment.  I'm 61 and a new rider.  Actually made my first attempt in my late 50's and managed to go flying off my buddies sv650.  Set me back a bit, last year decided to start taking lessons again, my 2013 S40 is actually my third bike.  I'll be snooping around looking for info on seats and other goodies.  The same friend just gifted me with sever hundred $$ worth of free bags, so I'm fiddling with them now. Next I'm interested in a windshield, actually just a fly screen, any recommendations on that? Thanks in advance. [/quote]

I've been away for several weeks, so I'm replying to this post just now.  I think it may be true that riding a motorcycle for the first time for older folks like me and Snubby241 may be much different than it is for young folks who are first-timers at it.

So if you are an older, first-time rider who has questions, concerns, or comments regarding riding, please post them.  We can all learn from each other to enjoy riding to the fullest.  I think it's a blast and offers a true sense of freedom that cars can't.

Of course, if you're a younger first-time rider, please post your questions, concerns, and comments, as well.  I just mentioned older newbies because they (as I did) may need a bit of encouragement to garner the courage to go riding for the first time.   Smiley

Stock 2011 S40 - Pearl Mirage White / Metallic Veil Silver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 06:24:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New rider questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.