New rider questions (Read 457 times)
Ianmh
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto
New rider questions
05/04/13 at 22:55:46

So I took my s40 our for it's first real run today, although most of it was stop and go traffic. I'm wondering what speeds the gears should be shifting at. Like should I be going 10 km/h before I shift gears to second. So far I seem to be in the range of 1st 10km, 2nd 20km, and 3rd 35 to 40km. Haven't gone past 3rd yet. I know most of you are probably mph.

Also I'm feeling okay on roads, but I'm having a terrible time in my garage. It's an above ground garage with steep ramps, really tight turns and a key fob opener half way up a ramp. It's like I ride for 30 minutes and get home and turn into an fumbling idiot. Tonight I had to walk it down backwards from a ramp and try again. Embarrassing.   Embarrassed

Anyway, hoping each time I got out I'll build a bit more confidence. Oh, and another thing I'm having a terrible time with is remembering to turn my signals off.  Embarrassed

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: New rider questions
Reply #1 - 05/04/13 at 23:06:39

Ianmh wrote on 05/04/13 at 22:55:46:
I'm having a terrible time with is remembering to turn my signals off.  Embarrassed

That goes for all riders with signals... Grin...

You'll have to convert, but,..into 2nd at 20mph, 3rd at 30mph, 4th at 40mph, 5th at 50mph...
Now,.. don't you wish your bike read out in mph?... Grin...
It's not that  fussy...  you'll get a feel for it...
...(I've been up to 70mph in 3rd,.. so, you won't hurt it)...

Same with stopping on a hill... just takes time...

Welcome to SS.com... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
SkyHigh
YaBB Newbies

Get your kicks on
Route 66...

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #2 - 05/05/13 at 01:20:54

Also I'm feeling okay on roads, but I'm having a terrible time in my garage. It's an above ground garage with steep ramps, really tight turns and a key fob opener half way up a ramp. It's like I ride for 30 minutes and get home and turn into an fumbling idiot. Tonight I had to walk it down backwards from a ramp and try again. Embarrassing.   Embarrassed

Anyway, hoping each time I got out I'll build a bit more confidence. Oh, and another thing I'm having a terrible time with is remembering to turn my signals off.  Embarrassed

I had never even sat on a motorcycle let alone rode one until 2 years ago at the age of 52, when I bought my 2011 S40. I rode around the neighborhood a lot at first, getting up to 35 MPH in 3rd. When I felt I was ready to tackle heavier traffic, higher speeds, and traffic lights, I ventured out onto the main roads here. I was nervous as heck but did all right. The strange part was feeling the wind buffeting my head around with the full-face helmet on.

Two years later and I'm riding comfortably at 75 - 80 MPH on I-10 here on 60-mile round-trips. My opinion is that anyone can ride a motorcycle on straight roads and easy curves quite adeptly; it's the slow, tight turns and scenarios where you inch along at walking speed that are toughest.

As you ride more and more, you'll become a good rider. Just be very careful on that ramp leading to your above-ground garage. And remember to never apply your front brake while turning on that ramp nor anywhere else or you can drop the bike. For those instances, use your rear brake only and feed power to the tranny gingerly with the clutch. Use the front brake only when stopping in a straight line.

Welcome to SS and the best of luck to you!

Stock 2011 S40 - Pearl Mirage White / Metallic Veil Silver
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 05/05/13 at 07:41:37

get one of those flash to open garage door openers.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 05/05/13 at 08:26:45

Open the door before you get on. Close it after you get off. Until youre good on the bike, take the ramps w/o stopping & keep both hands on it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
RC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Quartz Hill Ca.
Reply #5 - 05/05/13 at 12:16:09

Get yourself a Kisan signelminder and your signels will turn themselves off like the ones on your car

IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #6 - 05/05/13 at 15:14:46

Serowbot wrote on 05/04/13 at 23:06:39:

What??? You're a crazy man! Grin  Your engine must have been just begging for mercy???

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 05/05/13 at 15:38:08

87 savage wrote on 05/05/13 at 15:14:46:
Serowbot wrote on 05/04/13 at 23:06:39:

What??? You're a crazy man! Grin  Your engine must have been just begging for mercy???

70mph is only around 6k... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #8 - 05/05/13 at 16:42:56

Serowbot wrote on 05/05/13 at 15:38:08:
70mph is only around 6k... Huh...

But, But...I think I will try that tomorrow! Grin

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
Ianmh
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto
Reply #9 - 05/05/13 at 17:45:21

Maybe I'm shifting the gears too soon, but I tend to shift them when the bike feels like it's losing omph.

As for my stopping on a ramp in the middle, I have no choice, it's my building parking, I've kind of got it down now. I ride up to it and sometimes I am off a bit and have to walk it up a few steps with the clutch. Then I throw it into netral, hold the handle bar break and grab my fob, then open the door. Then try to get threw it before it comes back down. Wink

Today I went on a really nice ride, and I had read the S40's back fire sometimes, but this was so loud I thought someone was shooting at me, lol. Really jumped, it did it a few more times and I think I'm getting used to it. Anyone else have this?

WWW   IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #10 - 05/06/13 at 01:26:04

Yup, that's a fairly common issue with this bike. Click this link http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1181745927
and scroll down to .....carbs & jetting, .....backfire issues. Plenty of good info there.

IP Logged
Snubby241
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

ESCONDIDO, CA 920029
Reply #11 - 06/12/13 at 20:15:40

SkyHigh wrote on 05/05/13 at 01:20:54:

I had never even sat on a motorcycle let alone rode one until 2 years ago at the age of 52, when I bought my 2011 S40. I rode around the neighborhood a lot at first, getting up to 35 MPH in 3rd. When I felt I was ready to tackle heavier traffic, higher speeds, and traffic lights, I ventured out onto the main roads here. I was nervous as heck but did all right. The strange part was feeling the wind buffeting my head around with the full-face helmet on.

Two years later and I'm riding comfortably at 75 - 80 MPH on I-10 here on 60-mile round-trips. My opinion is that anyone can ride a motorcycle on straight roads and easy curves quite adeptly; it's the slow, tight turns and scenarios where you inch along at walking speed that are toughest.

As you ride more and more, you'll become a good rider. Just be very careful on that ramp leading to your above-ground garage. And remember to never apply your front brake while turning on that ramp nor anywhere else or you can drop the bike. For those instances, use your rear brake only and feed power to the tranny gingerly with the clutch. Use the front brake only when stopping in a straight line.

Welcome to SS and the best of luck to you!

Hi All, I'm new here also and was encouraged to see this comment.  I'm 61 and a new rider.  Actually made my first attempt in my late 50's and managed to go flying off my buddies sv650.  Set me back a bit, last year decided to start taking lessons again, my 2013 S40 is actually my third bike.  I'll be snooping around looking for info on seats and other goodies.  The same friend just gifted me with sever hundred $$ worth of free bags, so I'm fiddling with them now. Next I'm interested in a windshield, actually just a fly screen, any recommendations on that? Thanks in advance.

2013 S40, I don't want a pickle.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #12 - 06/12/13 at 23:43:08

Ianmh, failure to turn off your signals may get you killed. Please remember that. The bike's maximum in third is about 75 mph according to the handbook. Are you teaching yourself to ride? Welcome to the forum.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #13 - 06/13/13 at 05:54:55

Welcome Ianmh.

Here's a drill that might help you get more comfortable with low speed riding. Find yourself an empty parking lot and practice doing figure eights as slow as you can go, letting the engine idle and controlling your speed by slipping the clutch. Turn your head and look all the way around the turn. After a while you'll be amazed how far you can lean the bike over in slow turns without falling over. If you think you're getting to the point of no return just add just a tiny bit of throttle and the bike will stand back up.

The trick is to keep your head up and cranked around looking where you want to go. If you look at the ground in front of your front wheel you're going there - right down on the ground.  A couple of 30 minute sessions practicing like this and you'll be riding up and down that parking ramp like a pro.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #14 - 06/13/13 at 12:38:16

Agree with Old n Slow. don't look at the front wheel

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 04:19:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New rider questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.