Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ryca springs and oil level (Read 47 times)
John in Kalifornia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ryca springs and oil level
05/04/13 at 12:25:45

Back again. Had an "incident" with the angle grinder with a flapper disc while grinding the battery tray but the stitches are out and I'm healed up so am ready to start back working on the bike. Wife made me stay away from tools, didn't want her meal ticket to do any more self damage.

I have shortened the forks 2 inches and bought the Ryca springs. Is the oil level still 2.95 inches from the top compressed with the springs out? I would assume it is still the same. I weigh 250 pounds, should I use more preload or more oil? ATF (Mercon or type F) OK?

John in Kalifornia

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Ryca springs and oil level
Reply #1 - 05/04/13 at 13:25:29

WD wrote on 04/02/13 at 08:51:38:
Modern ATF (Dex 3 and newer) is 10w or 5w or even 2.5w (Dex 6). Type F is 15w or 20w depending on who blended it to which era spec. Type F will eat your fork seals. B&M Trick Shift (super expensive "performance" ATF) is actually just Type F... Roll Eyes

Can you add any to your existing fill? Yes. An ounce per side at a time, with test riding in between each addition. If you hit 18oz per side, assuming you had 14 oz per to begin with, and it still feels soft or is bottoming out, drain them and go up a weight or two on your fork oil. You can get up to 40w from Bel-Ray. The thicker the oil, the more likely you are to blow out a seal.

I use Dex3 in my Savage. Drop out the forks, drain them, collapse the upper tubes into the lowers. With springs out fill to the top of the upper tube, extend forks, add guts, bolt back in. Ride is still a bit soft for my liking, but, I'm used to springer and girder front ends. I hate fork dive...

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 10:41:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ryca springs and oil level

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.