Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
fuel mix tuning for high altitude (Read 118 times)
incensetragedy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

fuel mix tuning for high altitude
05/04/13 at 11:59:57

first post from a long time lurker.  i bought this '96 savage bone stock about a month ago.

(please see my first reply for the image)

when i put the dyna muffler on it started backfiring like crazy which i've heard is typical.  yesterday i pulled the air box and replaced it with a cone filter (wouldn't fit on the carb directly so i used that rubber hose) and relocated the electronics.  i put an inline gas filter onto the crank case breather and ran it under the bike, and finally drilled out the mixture screw and gave it a half turn counterclockwise.  the backfiring is probably 75% gone and i get a nice tone out of the intake.  of course there are issues...

first, if i leave it sit for more than a couple hours i'll have to pull the choke one click to get it to start.  i can push it back in immediately, and once it's warmed up it runs great.

also, the power curve is a little jumpy in the low gears

neither of these are a huge deal to me but i want to ask if there's a possibility that i'm doing damage to the engine.  i live just about a mile high here in colorado which is what makes me hesitate to rejet cause i figured the lean stock mix might be perfect for this altitude.

IP Logged
incensetragedy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: fuel mix tuning for high altitude
Reply #1 - 05/04/13 at 12:00:29

sorry, it wouldn't let me post the image in the OP cause it was my first post :\

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 05/04/13 at 12:07:03

You're probably pretty good...  a little choke, on a cold engine in Colo. is okay...
If anything,.. I'd leave the pilot stock, and maybe go to a #150 main...

Try this test, if you like...
Quote:
Main jet...
To test the main, accelerate from 30 or 40 mph, in 4th or 5th gear at full throttle for several seconds, then reduce throttle by about 1/8,...if power increases for a second, you are lean on the main jet.  Go up one jet size and test again.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
incensetragedy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/04/13 at 12:29:25

thanks for the tip!  going for a long ride today, i will try that out and let you know.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #4 - 05/04/13 at 18:27:38

Incense,

I live in the Springs (my house is at 6500' ASL).

My bike (see signature) has stock jetting and runs well up here....no complaints!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
incensetragedy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/04/13 at 20:18:14

digger - i bought my bike down in the springs!  i'm up in longmont.

serowbot - i think i am indeed lean on the main jet.  i was cruising at about 65, coasted down to about 35 and opened the throttle, and when i let off the engine revved real high for maybe 2 seconds.  felt kinda like the clutch was slipping.  does that sound like what you are describing?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 05/04/13 at 23:59:12

Incense,... that's actually a little clearer signal than I would expect...
...but, we may chalk that up to intense concentration,..

Just to be sure... give it one more try...
Get going,... calm and steady, at 35mph... then open up to full throttle, for a few seconds... as you feel it pulling strong,... just ease off a small fraction...
See if you perceive a little, up-kick, before the deceleration happens...
... (that's been my perception.... just a slight, kick... for maybe a half, or a quarter of a second, before decel)...

It may just be, that it appeared more intense, because I told you to look for it...

Try the test one more time,.. and go with your best judgement... if you do go up to a #150,... and it's not beneficial... you can always go back down...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #7 - 05/07/13 at 07:13:56

incense...I'm in Denver...look in my signature line for my set up...

I have to tell you, I was pretty much digging into the carb mods and such when I bought my exhaust like 3 years ago...haven't done very radical mods to the stock setup.

I just recently pulled the snorkle off the airbox (pretty much eliminated my backfire on shutdown)...don't ask me why/how but it did and I'm sticking to it... Grin

My bike is running really, really well and i have to force myself not to mess with it too much...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Bobby
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/08/13 at 05:42:24

Bubba wrote on 05/07/13 at 07:13:56:
I just recently pulled the snorkle off the airbox (pretty much eliminated my backfire on shutdown)...don't ask me why/how but it did and I'm sticking to it... Grin

I'm new to working on these LS650's Can you explain what you meant by pulling the snorkel off the air box? I'm trying to get my wife's savage from back firing on decel.

thanks,
B-smith Grin

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #9 - 05/08/13 at 06:25:43

Well, every bike is different and it may impact you or it may not. I also have a K&N drop-in filter in my airbox and some of the effect may be from that too.
Anyway, the part is #10 in this fiche:

http://www.ronayersmotorcycles.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=298929&ca...

It's just a flow director of some sort but , for me, it seemed to allow for better airflow through my system. I was truly amazed that my shutdown "pop" disappeared after removing it. I've messed with my airmix screw a lot trying to get rid of it and it never fully disappeared.

I live at a mile high and I still get "pops" sometimes between shifts (depending on weather)...I'll be interested to find what it does when I ride up higher (10,000 ft). I always get lots of "snap,crackle,pops" when I ride down the passes and do a lot of engine braking... Tongue

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 02:26:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › fuel mix tuning for high altitude

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.