Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
about time to change oil... (Read 381 times)
mtlsir
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: about time to change oil...
Reply #15 - 05/07/13 at 19:33:18

Good to know! a lot of experience here, thaks fo sharing!

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 05/07/13 at 07:26:40:
mtlsir wrote on 05/06/13 at 19:08:14:
ok, so the guy at suzuki has sold me the mineral suzuki motorcycle engine oil. So you are saying than he sold me some oil that doesn't have the right additives for my bike.

Yup, you got it ..... furthermore I will say your dealer's service and parts department doesn't even have a clue what your Savage really needs on a lot of other different fronts as well.

This sounds harsh, but it gets proven out every spring with the new terror tales the new folks bring with them.

1998 sauvage frenchie
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 05/08/13 at 05:18:44

In the past I have been kind of overzealous in my oil selection.  I would use what I perceived as the best oil available at the time, and some of it is expensive and only available by mail...or special order at the shops.  When I bought my Savage I was inclined to be a little less anal about the oil selection, as it is not a high performance engine.  I did what most of us Noobs do.....I bought Suzuki brand oil as recommended iin the owners manual.

Not long after doing that, I started reading the oil posts on this thread and became educated.  Unlike a lot of forums that post opinons without supporting data, this forum provided information about the content of the old and current oils....and showed what is happening to oils as the EPA started to mandate what is in "rated" oils.  I dumped the Suzuki oil pretty quickly and used the rest of it in my lawn mower.  I made the switch to Rotella T, as the supporting data on this site showed that it was a good oil and had enough ZDDP to keep our old school valve train properly lubricated.  I had been reading for years that Kawasaki KLR people swear by Rotella - but until this forum I had never found the data that showed why it was better than proper "motorcycle" oils.

I still mail order my synthetic 2T oil for my chainsaws and the synthetic 4T oil for my trials bike - but for the Savage I am using Rotella T and adding 1 oz of Redline ZDDP booster per quart.  Time will tell if this is the right thing to do.        

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #17 - 05/08/13 at 06:35:31

Most common is a 14L-A2 with left side vent, you can get one pretty much anywhere. The B2 is the same battery with the vent on the right hand side, can be a good bit harder to find.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #18 - 05/08/13 at 20:00:34

FWIW....

My Savage (see my signature block) uses the same Yuasa AGM battery as does my KLR650s.

At least as sealed batteries go, it uses a very common size.....

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 12:37:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › about time to change oil...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.