Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
about time to change oil... (Read 381 times)
mtlsir
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

about time to change oil...
05/04/13 at 05:29:10

Hi, yesterday i was worried by the fact i did seen anything in the small oil window, so i decider it was time to go buy a filter and some oil. My first thought was right, i had about 3/4 liter of black nasty oil.
And the oil filter spring was missing, so i don't think that its really was filtering.
worthless without pics  Embarrassed

1998 sauvage frenchie
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: about time to change oil...
Reply #1 - 05/04/13 at 07:55:09

Thats ugly.. lousy deal about the spring, bummer. There is an O ring on the filter, too,, dont 4get that,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #2 - 05/04/13 at 08:00:37

How much do new motors cost these days?

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
mtlsir
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/04/13 at 10:12:59

as long as its running i don't look that, used one maybe worst than mine, yeah i've replaced the big oring and st smaller one 2.
i had run it for 2 week home - work work home, now it run stronger

1998 sauvage frenchie
  IP Logged
jjn

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Keaau, Hi. USA
Reply #4 - 05/05/13 at 11:37:53

Not a Savage/S40 owner yet myself. How far did you go between the oil change? On my air cooled bikes I used to change every 1000 miles. But, I'm 59 and have been riding since I was 8. Try changing the oil sooner.
   Black oil doesn't always mean bad things. I used to work on big freight hauling trucks for many years. Take one of those big pigs, replace the oil filters and the 8-14 gallons of oil, run the engine for a short time, and often, it will already look black in color.
  I think car and motorcycle makers are extending the suggested oil change intervals much farther than they used to be.
   A big single, though, seems to often make a fair amount of blowby which can dirty your oil in the crankcase.
   I'd try changing at 1000 miles to see how the oil looks next time.

Jon in Puyallup, Wa. USA
  IP Logged
mtlsir
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/05/13 at 15:36:57

i got it in march of this year, i've done my road exam with it and change my oil right after, previous owner said he had it change for at season begining. he said that he clock less than 3k km per year. maybe it was because of the humidity or some other factor.

1998 sauvage frenchie
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 05/06/13 at 03:07:43

Oil change intervals have been well studied on the Savage.

Start with Suzuki Standards as stated in the full service manual, they want you to change the oil every 3,000 to 5,000 miles (they assume a dino oil in this procedure as there weren't many synthetics out there in 1987).   For many of us, that translates to changing the oil once a year.

Here at SS.com we have recommended oils up in the Tech Section.  We have recommended oils because the normal, off the shelf oils that were available (with enough ZDDP in them) in 1987 haven't been available for like 15 years now.   The current off the shelf car oils are way way less than what our bike requires.   An oil that CAN support our antique valve train is really sorta scarce now, and certainly isn't common off the shelf any more.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1344471565

All but the very first one of these recommended oils are full synthetics which could support extended drain intervals if our air filtration system also supported fine air filtration to match that extended drain interval.  But we are stuck with a standard air filter system that allows too much silica (fine dust) to get into the oil over the course of more than one year, so no extended drain intervals for us.  

Shame that, the synthetic oils could do it but the air filter can't.

So, buy oil off the recommended list and change it at least once a year (or more often if you just feel lead that way).  This is where the state of the Savage oil change sits right now.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 05/06/13 at 10:18:19

My bike hardly uses any oil fight after a change. As the miles build, it uses a bit more. When it gets to where I need to add between needing gas, I change it. Usually, thats around 2,500 miles. I like Rotella-T, Dino.
Its about $13.00 a gallon. Pretty reasonable / quart price that way.
Got 20,000 miles on it. Its not making any threatening sounds, shifts like a dream. I say its gonna run a Looong time being cared for the way I do it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mtlsir
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/06/13 at 19:08:14

ok, so the guy at suzuki has sold me the mineral suzuki motorcycle engine oil. So you are saying than he sold me some oil that doesn't have the right additives for my bike.

1998 sauvage frenchie
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 05/06/13 at 19:50:23

IDK if its good for our valve train, thats someone elses brain, not mine.
I DO know that Rotella T is just fine for them & costs 13 bux a gallon,.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 05/07/13 at 07:26:40

mtlsir wrote on 05/06/13 at 19:08:14:
ok, so the guy at suzuki has sold me the mineral suzuki motorcycle engine oil. So you are saying than he sold me some oil that doesn't have the right additives for my bike.

Yup, you got it ..... furthermore I will say your dealer's service and parts department doesn't even have a clue what your Savage really needs on a lot of other different fronts as well.

This sounds harsh, but it gets proven out every spring with the new terror tales the new folks bring with them.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 05/07/13 at 07:57:55

My Savage has been with me through living in 3 different states in 15 years of ownership. It has been back to the dealer exactly twice in that time, once for its first service (1200 miles at 2 weeks ownership), once for a rear tube when it popped close to the dealership. That's it.

My selling dealer, and his mechanic, were BOTH involved with Suzuki factory racing, and had been since the 1970s. I've followed their recommendations since day one. My bike has never needed so much as a minor valve adjustment, let alone an overhaul due to dealer "tech" incompetence.

They told me "never use Suzuki brand oil or filters, don't waste money on bringing it in for routine maintenance, and, by the way, we took the air mix screw cover off your carb, here's how you adjust it, and if you notch your battery box right "here" you can run the world's most common bike battery instead of this oddball the factory specs for the bike"...

I've dealt with dealerships in MS, TN, WA, OR and ID. The only one who knew ANYTHING about the Savage was my selling dealer in Biloxi MS. The rest knew absolutely nothing about the bike or its quirks.

Take the factory dino juice back, it's for liquid cooled bikes with self adjusting or shim and bucket valve trains. It isn't for old fashioned air cooled engines with 1960s style cam and followers with screw and nut adjusters.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #12 - 05/07/13 at 13:48:44

WD wrote on 05/07/13 at 07:57:55:
My Savage has been with me through living in 3 different states in 15 years of ownership. It has been back to the dealer exactly twice in that time, once for its first service (1200 miles at 2 weeks ownership), once for a rear tube when it popped close to the dealership. That's it.

My selling dealer, and his mechanic, were BOTH involved with Suzuki factory racing, and had been since the 1970s. I've followed their recommendations since day one. My bike has never needed so much as a minor valve adjustment, let alone an overhaul due to dealer "tech" incompetence.

They told me "never use Suzuki brand oil or filters, don't waste money on bringing it in for routine maintenance, and, by the way, we took the air mix screw cover off your carb, here's how you adjust it, and if you notch your battery box right "here" you can run the world's most common bike battery instead of this oddball the factory specs for the bike"...

What is the most common bike battery, btw?  /thread-hi-jack

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 05/07/13 at 18:36:42

Dane Allen wrote on 05/07/13 at 13:48:44:
What is the most common bike battery, btw?  /thread-hi-jack

I forget the part number,.. but there is a perfect fit, wet cell, battery at WallyMart for $35 or so... but it has the vent hose on the negative side... You can notch yer' box to let that tube out, opposite the stock battery...
...( I think that's what WD is referring to)...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #14 - 05/07/13 at 18:43:33

A 14L-B2 battery will put every thing in the right place. Smiley

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 10:31:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › about time to change oil...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.