Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anybody ever use a manual tire changer? (Read 74 times)
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Anybody ever use a manual tire changer?
05/03/13 at 12:10:12

I've been thinking about getting a manual tire changer.  

I have snow tires mounted on/off my wife's car every winter/spring, so it would pay for itself pretty quickly if it works (Hf has for about $40.)  There is also a manual balancer for about $80.  

I'm getting pretty comfortable with MC tire changes using spoons - have never tried a car tire.  

Just looking for a few anecdotes.  (I'll believe the ones favorable to the decision I want to make!) Cheesy

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Anybody ever use a manual tire changer?
Reply #1 - 05/03/13 at 13:20:09

With tubeless car tires you have to have a way to tighten it to get them to seal,It can be done with a rope if its not to big of a tire.They have that air thing for that,You know a little rope like tube you air up to tighten it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 05/03/13 at 13:24:31

Quite often, a friend has one we use as needed. Harbor Freight cheapy, they just need to be bolted down securely.

Tubeless radials are easy to inflate, pull the valve core, hit the filler trigger. Seats them in seconds 98% of the time, all the way up into the tractor trailer super singles that are over 400mm wide and 24.5" rims. A little squirt of soapy water around the bead helps prevent sticking and speeds up seating times.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #3 - 05/03/13 at 19:42:00

i saw a friend of mine seat a big tractor tire.  

he had the compressor pumped w. pressure, sprayed (i think it was) starting fluid into the tire on the rim. then LIT IT ON FIRE!  WHOOMPH! bead instantly seated, he put the air hose to it and pumped it up. he said you have to get air into it before it cools down or it will pull back away.  he's a farmer and trucker- said they used to do it all the time ?  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 05/03/13 at 20:05:36

I have a spark plug wire boot on a Milton fitting thats threaded into another Milton. The boot is tie wrapped onto the Milton. I pull the valve core, lube ( OOOOKay, I Spit on it,, allright?) the boot & shove it down on the valve stem ^& plug the air hose in. It shoves so much air in so fast I can almost always seat a light truck tire. Thats whats on the front of the backhoe. I have sealed leaks at the bead with the tire on the machine by hammering the tire away from the rim a little( with the leaky area at the top) & squirting Green Slime in & airing it back up. I like Green Slime a lot. NOt for its flavor or texture on the palate, but for how it helps with tire problems. Rassling the tires on that b/hoe has taught me a lot. I also have a HF tire tool. Ive never needed it for a car size tire, but it worked great on bustin a lawnmower tire off.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #5 - 05/05/13 at 19:48:12

A good quality manual works fine, but it needs to stand up to a good bit of force (That you supply.) and has to be bolted down well. Lots of tire shops use Ether to blow the beads out on the rim, but it is an art, not a science. They usually keep it a secret, though. Also probably illegal and dangerous unless you like the smell of singed eyebrows.  Wink

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #6 - 05/05/13 at 21:29:52

I bought one of those H-F manual changers back in '91 when I started racing again. Also bought one of their bed extenders & a hitch receiver. I mounted the receiver to the bumper of my truck on the pass. side & used the bed extender U-bolted to the tire machine to secure it. I don't know how many tires that thing has mounted since we let anyone who needed to use it. The bead breaker is great for m/c tires too. Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #7 - 05/06/13 at 04:52:12

thanks for the info, guys

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 02:23:07

General CategoryThe Cafe › Anybody ever use a manual tire changer?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.