Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Voodoo Vintage Hard Tail (Read 1391 times)
JLight
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Voodoo Vintage Hard Tail
05/03/13 at 07:56:14

Anybody going to order the new Voodoo Vintage weld-on hard tail?

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Re: Voodoo Vintage Hard Tail
Reply #1 - 05/03/13 at 12:47:14

Love the looks, but I'm not a kid anymore and have back issues so not a chance here   Tongue

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #2 - 05/03/13 at 14:20:18

I think I will consider it when I am able to add a second bike to the stable, and this one becomes more of a toy to tinker with  Grin as long as it's my daily ride/joy I think I will keep it more functional for all around riding.

(Don't think the wife is interested in me adding another bike for quite a while either  Sad)

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
JLight
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/03/13 at 19:42:17

Understandable. My wife rides an '02 Savage and I have a sport bike and an iron head sportster. I'm chopping an '87 Savage right now and the hard tail would be perfect but it costs more than I paid for the bike. I'm not sure if I'll order one or not.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 05/03/13 at 23:13:07

JLight wrote on 05/03/13 at 19:42:17:
Understandable. My wife rides an '02 Savage and I have a sport bike and an iron head sportster. I'm chopping an '87 Savage right now and the hard tail would be perfect but it costs more than I paid for the bike. I'm not sure if I'll order one or not.

struts Cool

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
JLight
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/04/13 at 18:15:54

Struts don't look much better than shocks. I want a hard tail but I may wait and do it to the sporty.

IP Logged
axa

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 12/28/13 at 04:20:18

Im working on one.
Anybody else....

birth_of_a_hardtail_Large.jpg
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #7 - 12/28/13 at 08:39:17

That picture says thousands of words... time to start saving for the conversion. Can't stand how my bike looks with the stock frame and visible shocks.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
axa

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 12/30/13 at 05:15:46

yes i gave it a hard thought before pulling the trigger.  Cuz, for me it was by far the most expensive individual 'upgrade', and im doing a complete engine rebuild and all the performance upgrades.

But i had to do it, and its not just that im against soft tail bikes, but the lines are just all wrong.

Also, this will pull the bike back 4 inches, so that should take care of me having to fab some forward control extensions...
2 birds with a few bills....
Though, Voodoo does have a builders kit that will save you about C note.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #9 - 01/14/14 at 05:41:50

If I may be of help...

Here's an interesting example of "softailing a hardtail"...

This is a 1956 BMW R25 single. Notice the rigid frame and how shocks were "added".

It required a slight modification to the Savage frame, and looks very nice (if it's done properly).

I will consider it myself.  Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #10 - 01/14/14 at 05:49:54

JLight wrote on 05/04/13 at 18:15:54:
Struts don't look much better than shocks. I want a hard tail but I may wait and do it to the sporty.

If you want a hard tail, and were going to cut your frame to add one.... why not just take off the shock, cut the tabs off and weld struts into place? It would look cleaner and you wouldn't have to spend five catrillion dollars for an add-on frame. (ok so the catrillion was a bit sarcastic, no offense intended, just sayin some folks have a set income)

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
axa

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 01/14/14 at 09:45:36

ya 200 and catrillion is a bit off, but anyway this was the main point of my previous post, the lines are just all wrong.

if you are just replacing the shocks for struts, your swing arm is still way short making the bike look like its had its ass crushed in...
This bike is built for women and short men, so you are either still driving with your knees in your face or you spent nearly as much money on new forward controls than you would have on the hard tail.

doing a proper hard tail solves both problems.

IP Logged
Rix

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 01/15/14 at 08:26:09

The thought of a hardtail makes my kidneys hurt.

2013 BOULEVARD S40/LS650 ALL STOCK
1982 HONDA MB5 WITH MODS
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 01/15/14 at 11:06:38

Rix wrote on 01/15/14 at 08:26:09:
The thought of a hardtail makes my kidneys hurt.

Why? Run the rear tire at 25-30 psi and it is fine. But it will still handle better at 35-40 psi. Rigid frames handle better, you can feel when you are pushing the machine beyond is design limits. Shocks and swingarms (not to mention those god awful hydraulic forks) mask handling issues. A rigid frame doesn't give you any side to side chassis oscillation, or in layman's terms, corner wobble, that you get with a swingarm. There is zero inherent play, a set of shocks gives you four points of movement, that compound on each other when the bushings start to wear a bit (because most riders are too lazy/uneducated to lube the pivot points).

I'll take a rigid frame with a springer any day of the week, and twice on the weekends, over a hydraulic fork equipped squishy frame. And I'll take a pickup truck with an I-beam/leaf spring front end over an IFS for the same reason, fewer points of movement that wear and need attention to maintain proper geometry and road feel.

I'm so disgusted with the swingarm frame, hydraulic forks, electronic ignition and electric only start on the Savage that I'm just about ready to load it into the burn pile and wash my hands of it. Yes, my 98 looks 1000x better than a stock version. Yes, it works a lot better than a stock version. It is still a pile of modern poor design thinly disguised as a motorcycle.  Angry

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Rix

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 01/15/14 at 12:03:20

I'm really not into pushing the bike (or my skills/lack of skills), I'm just commuting/cruising.
Tacoma roads and a hardtail would be brutal.
If I was being a bit sporty with it, I could understand for sure.

2013 BOULEVARD S40/LS650 ALL STOCK
1982 HONDA MB5 WITH MODS
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 01:25:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Voodoo Vintage Hard Tail

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.