Fuel in air box (Read 166 times)
ericson25
YaBB Newbies

LS650 My Half-A
-Harley

Toledo, Ohio
Fuel in air box
05/02/13 at 15:13:08

I did not make any changes to the carb and all of a sudden I have gallons of fuel poring into the air cleaner box. WHAT THE HECK. HELP!!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Fuel in air box
Reply #1 - 05/02/13 at 15:59:27

Do you have a stock petcock?...is it set to Prime. or on?...
Do this test...
Test your Petcock,.. don't just turn it to Prime..

If it's not that,... yer' floats are stuck...
(PS... you can try tapping the bottom of the bowl with the handle end of a screwdriver)...DON'T BREAK IT!...

PSS..(When you get this solved... Check your oil level, if it's high, you need to change your oil)...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ericson25
YaBB Newbies

LS650 My Half-A
-Harley

Toledo, Ohio
Reply #2 - 05/03/13 at 15:14:43

WOW talk about pilot error. The last bike I had was a "69" Royal Enfield 750 Interceptor. The fuel valve had 3 positions , OFF,ON, RESERVE .  After taking the carb bowl off and having a ton of fuel pouring out I realized that I was trying to run it in PRI mode. Which brings up another question, is there any way to shut off the fuel? I will get it all back together tomorrow and see what happens. Also should the drain tube from the air box have a plug at the end?

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #3 - 05/03/13 at 15:18:41

Yes it should, the plug keeps oil/gas from running out and getting on your rear tire while traveling. Pull the plug and drain it once in a while to keep it drained.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
ericson25
YaBB Newbies

LS650 My Half-A
-Harley

Toledo, Ohio
Reply #4 - 05/03/13 at 15:30:28

What is your thought about the first problem with trying to run it with the valve in the PRI position?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 05/03/13 at 16:06:31

If the stock pet is working properly, it is actuated by engine vacuum...... the ON, and RESERVE, positions should shut off fuel flow when the engine isn't running...
PRIME, is used only when you have occasion for the float bowl to be empty...(such as, having run out of gas, or having worked on the carb,... or if it's sat a very long time)...
So,.. generally... ride, and park, in the ON position...

.. but,... if you had done that,... you wouldn't know that you have a float problem..
Now you know... Either it was a rare, one time thing,.. or you have sticking floats, or a worn out float needle....

You need to find out why...
If you run, as you should, in the ON position,... the floats may stick or leak and you'll not notice... (or, you may notice odd carb problems while running)...
If you run in PRIME,... you'll find out, but, you'll risk this happening again...
It's quite a pickle to be in...

This is why,.. I like the manual Raptor petcock... It behaves like your old RE pet... ON,OFF,RESERVE...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ericson25
YaBB Newbies

LS650 My Half-A
-Harley

Toledo, Ohio
Reply #6 - 05/04/13 at 07:59:32

Ok I think the float and fuel valve work. With the bowl off no fuel runs when valve is in ON or RES. but when in PRI fuel runs out. Next question is. There is a tube that is at a 45 Deg angle that attaches to the top of the float bowl, where does the other end go. I see it in pictures in the manual but I can't find where it goes. I do not have the tank off.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #7 - 05/04/13 at 18:12:55

ericson25 wrote on 05/04/13 at 07:59:32:
Ok I think the float and fuel valve work. With the bowl off no fuel runs when valve is in ON or RES. but when in PRI fuel runs out. Next question is. There is a tube that is at a 45 Deg angle that attaches to the top of the float bowl, where does the other end go. I see it in pictures in the manual but I can't find where it goes. I do not have the tank off.

That is a vent line.  The line runs up under the gas tank and faces forward.  There is no filter on this line.

BTW, your carb's needle valve could still be bad, based on what you've told us so far....

« Last Edit: 05/05/13 at 17:15:52 by Serowbot »  

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #8 - 05/05/13 at 16:34:29

ericson25 wrote on 05/04/13 at 07:59:32:

No fuel should run out when the petcock is in res or on positions with the float bowl off (or on for that matter) unless vacuum is applied to the diaphragm in the petcock via the vacuum hose that goes from the right front of the carb to the petcock. In other words, if the petcock is operating properly fuel will not come out in res and on positions unless the bike is running. Sounds like you may need to replace the float needle valve and seat. The kit is available on ebay for about 12 bucks shipped.

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 20:32:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fuel in air box

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.