Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tall sissy bars or a flagpole? (Read 180 times)
newb_Jack
Ex Member

Tall sissy bars or a flagpole?
05/01/13 at 07:49:13

Has anybody had any luck putting on really tall sissy bars? I'm looking for something that I could attach a hockey stick to. I'd guess that it would need to be about 3ft high off the fender..  not really sure.

If anybody has had any luck installing some kind of flag pole, I think that would work too. I just need to transport a hockey stick in a manner that still lets me lane split. Right now I've just got it strapped diagonal across my back...

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Tall sissy bars or a flagpole?
Reply #1 - 05/01/13 at 07:57:00

Hit up the bike junkyards online. You want to find yards and related shops that have been in business since the 70s or early 80s.

My sissybar came from a friend's garage, part of a stash of old metric and HD chopper parts he'd been collecting for decades. Pain in the butt to mount.

In the pic it is just propped up with a length of lumber while I decide where to drill the bag supports and fender...

Happy hunting, they are still out there but it takes some research to find them.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #2 - 05/01/13 at 17:34:35

Another alternative would be a holder similar to a gun sleeve like on military style bikes, I bet you could make something similar with PVC just for a hockey stick that would be cheap and easy to disconect when you wanted.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #3 - 05/02/13 at 09:56:47

Made my own.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
newb_Jack
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/02/13 at 13:26:29

Those rifle mounts are an interesting idea...

I'm not handy with the steel and welding, so I won't be crafting my own I dont think.  Maybe some kind of PVC contraption though, that's detachable.

I thought maybe a flag would be more common.. perhaps I should have asked about guns!

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #5 - 05/03/13 at 07:27:16

I built a sissy yesterday outta scrap, I didn't know the small sissy is SOLID aluminum! So I just put 2 bolts on it, its only temp anyway untill I get my new project started.

Its about 10" tall off the seat, the 3/4" square steel tube is from lowe's, cost about $10 for a piece 3' long. I used scrap sheet steel and made "L" brackets that I riveted in.
I used a dremel tool to cut it, and a $20 manual rivet tool, lowe's also sells the sheet steel in small sizes for fairly cheap.
Tools I used: Dremel (all the cutting), 12' tape measure, battery powered drill, sand paper, rivet tool, roofers square (didn't really need it tho), some hand clamps and a vice grip plier to hold it still on occasion, and a file to keep the edges of sheet smooth after install.
Oh and some black paint, spray can stuff.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 05:30:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tall sissy bars or a flagpole?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.