Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Today, a Savage fell in my lap... (Read 349 times)
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Re: Today, a Savage fell in my lap...
Reply #15 - 05/02/13 at 10:56:27

If I lived within 250 miles of you I'd offer you $400 as is & come get it. It looks like it would be good for a project I have in mind. Grin

Sadly, it is way too far away for me. :'(

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 05/02/13 at 14:11:55

TheSavagePJ wrote on 05/01/13 at 18:02:57:
Small update, my buddy with a truck can't help me out until the weekend, so what I'm up against is still a mystery. I do have a less-than-stellar pic of the bike, I'll make up for it later with pics of just about anywhere I can stick my phones camera. The suspense is killing me, I'm hoping for a workable bike, but my gut tells me you guys are going to be getting some parts in the for sale forum. If nothing else, it'll be an educational experience!

If nothing else, it'll be an educational experience!

THIS guy has had an "educational experience"..
Go slow, make SURE there is no hassle w/ the title before you move it.
Spend exactly NOT one Dime on looks until it runs & is safe.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
TheSavagePJ

Learn as you go...

Schenectady, NY
Reply #17 - 06/04/13 at 20:27:22

So after a few setbacks, I was finally able to pick up the bike before the scrappers got to it. The pictures, as promised:

http://imgur.com/a/fd80G#JJUJfq9

After a lot of legwork today, I figured out that the bike is not stolen, it was never wrecked and it hasn't been registered for over 5 years, therefore no record of it exists at DMV. I was told by my mechanic that if I can get it running and worthy of a rebuild, I should take it to to Vermont  (about an hour from me) and request a title and registration there, as the laws are not nearly as strict as NY.

As you can see, the bike is in fair-poor condition, but everything vital is there. After a surface inspection, I know that the front caliper is seized, there is small blotches of rust on the inside of the tank, petcock is permanently frozen in prime, there is still oil in the pan (a little under half of the window when held at 90), kickstand is bent in an odd position and lots of other things you would expect from a bike sitting outside for many years. On the plus side, the bike was stored behind two large brick buildings in a corner, which I think might have prevented the damage from being worse. Anywho, there's a lot on my plate.

So there it is, my friends. Where should I start?

2004, stock minus dyna exhaust
TheSavagePJ electrospector00   IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #18 - 06/04/13 at 22:03:35

Get a block of wood about six inches square and 2 and three quarter inches high. Put it under the kickstand and let the bike sit for a few minutes, the bike should stand almost vertical. After three to five minutes look down near the bottom of the right hand crankcase cover, you will see a little round window, which should be half to three quarters full of oil. If no oil shows, don't rush in to starting it. If there is oil, go looking for a battery. Although the bike looks rough there seems to have been an absence of bobbers, customisers, creators and project managers. This could work in your favour.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #19 - 06/05/13 at 06:03:38

Hey PJ she's a weather worn stock bike but still FREE!

I'd say before anything else just get her running to see if she's worth starting as a full on project or possibly just a parts/donor bike.  Drain the oil and check it for any water or anything winky, if that looks ok then I would pull the carb and clean it out and hook up a temporary gas tank/can just to feed the carb and hook the battery up from your other scoot check for spark and then try to start her   Smiley

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
TheSavagePJ

Learn as you go...

Schenectady, NY
Reply #20 - 06/05/13 at 06:07:26

stokes, there is definitely oil in the crankcase, which was a big relief. I'll do what you said, as the absence of a dipstick makes checking oil kind of a guessing game with these bikes.

Is there a how-to on how to clean rust spots out of the inside of a gas tank?

justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 06/05/13 at 06:27:03

Before I put much time in the tank, as long as theyre not so bad that theyd choke up a filter. get it running,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
TheSavagePJ

Learn as you go...

Schenectady, NY
Reply #22 - 06/05/13 at 07:19:57

Stokes, I did what you said about getting the bike to sit vertical for about 15 minutes (I gave it extra time because I'm assuming the cold, sludgy oil will need extra time to settle at the bottom of the crankcase. I have a tiny bit over 1/4, which means there is SOME oil left in there.

As for the gas tank rust, it isn't horrible, just some spotty blotches and a nice layer of crud at the bottom. (I'd take a pic but my camera just isn't that small).

I'm thinking of starting a new post in RSD, because I'm going to be including a lot of pics and since this will be my first project ever, I will be treading carefully. Money is kind of tight right now, so my progress will be at a snails pace until I get some funds coming in. If it runs and doesn't need any major rebuilding, I want to keep my investment around $700-$1000 max. The cosmetics I'm not worried about so much, my girlfriend is a master with paint and restoration, and shes as excited as I am about the project.

jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #23 - 06/05/13 at 12:28:19

I'm no mechanic and the oil level check should be done with warm oil, however, you do have oil there. If you do fire it up don't add more than about half a US pint, you will soon be draining it anyway. As far as the tank goes, I suggest removing the tank and petcock, sealing up the petcock outlet putting in about a gallon of petrol and shaking the tank vigorously. Hopefully this will dissolve the crud. You can the drain the tank and filter the petrol into a suitable container and re use it to repeat the process several times. This may not be ideal but you do mention budgetary considerations.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #24 - 06/05/13 at 17:12:34

Just clean the tank enough to be able to run it & make sure the engine is sound. YOu wouldnt wanna put 5 hours & $30.00 in a tank to discover the engine is shot.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #25 - 06/05/13 at 17:43:13

TheSavagePJ wrote on 06/05/13 at 07:19:57:
I'm thinking of starting a new post in RSD, because I'm going to be including a lot of pics and since this will be my first project ever, I will be treading carefully.

We can move this to the RSD if you like... or you can start a new one,.. your choice... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:24:30

General CategoryThe Cafe › Today, a Savage fell in my lap...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.