Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Today, a Savage fell in my lap... (Read 349 times)
TheSavagePJ

Learn as you go...

Schenectady, NY
Today, a Savage fell in my lap...
04/30/13 at 18:24:08

Today, I got an unexpected call from a buddy who is in the journalism business. Turns out, hes leaving his paper where he worked for 10 years to move up to the Watertown, NY area for the paper up there. (very upstate NY, stones throw from Canadistan). He already moved, but he wanted to know if I'd be willing to take his '87 Savage. He couldnt take it with him, and his landlord called to let him know that if it isnt gone by the end of the week, it was going straight to the scrapyard. Its mine for free, however there is no title, though he'd work with me to get a replacement and sign it over to me.

So yeah, awesome, free bike. As to why its free, its been sitting under a tarp for 6 years, exposed to the elements. I rode out today to look at it, and though I was expecting worse, its still what you would expect. There is no major frame rust (from what I could see), looks to be bone stock. Hell, the tires were still inflated and it still had chrome left on it.  

I figured, worst case, it'll be too far gone and end up being a money pit, so sell off whatever good parts there are and call it that. However, I've been looking for a project to tear into, and this might just be the ticket. My biggest obstacle will be my own inexperience, and I think if nothing else, this could be a great learning experience into my own Savage.

Any advice on what I should do here? The bike is coming tomorrow, so I'll have pics of what Im dealing with. I was thinking of tearing everything down to its bare bones, inspect, toss away anything looking old, worn damaged etc., clean up whats good, replace whatever is missing, put it all back together, then try to get it running again. I'm sure theres guys on here who have resurrected old, neglected bikes, so tell it like it is.

Pics will follow, so until then, I don't have many specifics yet.

2004, stock minus dyna exhaust
TheSavagePJ electrospector00   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Today, a Savage fell in my lap...
Reply #1 - 04/30/13 at 18:32:43

That had to hurt... Huh...

PS... if you don't have a lot of experience,.. tearing it down to bare bones will get you nothing but a big pile of parts...
Take baby steps.. study what it needs... then get it functioning...
Then... once you have a machine worth investing time and money in... make it what you want...
JMHO... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 04/30/13 at 18:34:07

Save all the parts because you can sell them to other members in the marketplace.

You you need a goal, something that you plan to build out of the bike -- like a bobber or a cafe or a road racer or a flat tracker because whatever your heart desires the savage can become any of them.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #3 - 04/30/13 at 18:44:07

Someone give him a place to start? Like fluid changes, carb cleaning? brake fluid/pad check? charge battery and check elec... lights, starter turn over ect..?  Lubes?
Posting what I would check on any bike that sat for awhile, my wifes was running but I still checked all those things and replaced the rubber (tires) to boot.
I figure all yuse guys will be able to tell him what if anything would likely be a problem on one that sat so long.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
TheSavagePJ

Learn as you go...

Schenectady, NY
Reply #4 - 04/30/13 at 18:44:50

OldFeller, I hear that. Thats the other problem, up until 2 this afternoon, I was thinking "well, I got a raptor and the heat shield on order for the bike, I'll be good with that for a while" to "Crap, what am I gonna do with bike thats practically growing moss on it?"

I always thought a bobber would be cool, but I definitely into the cafe racer look. Maybe mimic an old school Triumph or something. Its all so sudden, especially for a newbie who hasnt torn any of these bikes apart yet, much less any bike for that matter.

I'm not saying its too much. The thought of it going to the boneyard was too much for me to let it go.

Oh, and Serowbot, I've dated girls that weigh more than a Savage...  Grin Well... not really, but a few were close, well dry weight anyway.

old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #5 - 04/30/13 at 18:47:13

Quote:
Oh, and Serowbot, I've dated girls that weigh more than a Savage...  Grin Well... not really, but a few were close, well dry weight anyway.

Was that before or after you bought them dinner? Shocked

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/30/13 at 19:43:54

The best place to start with an old bike, lawnmower, or what have you is to see if you can get it to run by doing the simple things.

Clean out the gas tank, test the petcock, check fuel line etc., clean the carb and air filter, put some good oil in it, connect a battery and see if it will start and run.  After that you can make your plans because then you will better know the scope of the work that must be done.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #7 - 04/30/13 at 21:03:52

Open the inspection port on the side of the case and try to turn the crank using a socket. (take spark plug out and put the tranny in neutral) If the crank turns fairly easily you have a head start on getting running because you know the engine hasn't seized while it was left neglected. The inspection cover is that big circle with a big slotted screw driver slot in it.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #8 - 05/01/13 at 04:36:04

Yea don't worry about making plans for the bike till you service it and see if it's a viable runner. Do all the above as suggested and don't spend any more money on it then you need to, even use you're bikes battery to turn it over after running through all the basics.  If it runs well enough then start dreaming either of building or parting out LOL.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 05/01/13 at 05:28:10

I believe as some have said - the first thing to do is as little as possible to get it running.  If it has had fuel in it for 6 years.....get it out and see what it left behind.  The tank, carb and petcock may need to get some serious cleaning.

Post us some detailed pics.........and give us some details after you get it home.  Then after you have it running......it may be time to investigate the title issue.  No sense spening money on the title and taxes if the thing is only good for parts.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 05/01/13 at 08:58:43

First, dont buy ANYthing that it hasnt Proved it MUST have in order to run.
Not one dime on looks, until its running right.
Keep the receipt, dont touch the shield, be ready to return it. It will run just fine w/o that.IF it runs good, then install it & finish fixing it up.
Look, you got it for free. Its not pretty, But, itll be fun to ride. You CAN allow it to eat your time, trying to get it "Pretty" for others to see & oooh & ahh over. Heck with them, dont worry about what others may say or think. Just get it running & get it Safe, fresh tires, brakes working right..
Over time, you can pick which parts need attention & start cleaning it up & making it like YOu want it. Winter time is good for that..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
TheSavagePJ

Learn as you go...

Schenectady, NY
Reply #11 - 05/01/13 at 18:02:57

Small update, my buddy with a truck can't help me out until the weekend, so what I'm up against is still a mystery. I do have a less-than-stellar pic of the bike, I'll make up for it later with pics of just about anywhere I can stick my phones camera. The suspense is killing me, I'm hoping for a workable bike, but my gut tells me you guys are going to be getting some parts in the for sale forum. If nothing else, it'll be an educational experience!

IMG026.jpg

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 05/02/13 at 05:01:26

Eeeeeek!  That photo is scary! Shocked

Still.....it is worth doing something with it.  If you find someone doing a RYCA conversion - you might be able to get a lot of parts needed to freshen that bike up...provided that it runs....or......you got the perfect start for a RAT BIKE.

Sometimes the roughest beater cars, trucks and bikes the most useful and most fun.  There are no worries about scratches, dents or washing/waxing....just ride and have fun.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
TheSavagePJ

Learn as you go...

Schenectady, NY
Reply #13 - 05/02/13 at 06:21:31

Dave wrote on 05/02/13 at 05:01:26:
Eeeeeek!  That photo is scary! Shocked

Still.....it is worth doing something with it.  If you find someone doing a RYCA conversion - you might be able to get a lot of parts needed to freshen that bike up...provided that it runs....or......you got the perfect start for a RAT BIKE.

Sometimes the roughest beater cars, trucks and bikes the most useful and most fun.  There are no worries about scratches, dents or washing/waxing....just ride and have fun.

Funny you say that, Dave. I was contacted by user V-Pilot who lives a stones throw away from me, who is doing the RYCA conversion. I'll be giving him a visit once I get my rear turn signal issue addressed. Oh, and I 100% agree with you, I do have a soft spot for the less-than-pretty bikes. They are supposed to be FUN, dirty shows you love them, more so than keeping it in the garage and keeping it perfectly clean and sterile.

I've said this before, but this is a great community, and I am continually surprised by the amount of help and support I've been getting from the members here. Feeling like you don't have to tackle a huge project like this on your own makes the ultimate goal all that more attainable.

My girlfriend is a wizard with paint, especially with a rattle can and oil paints. Shes as excited as I am about it, provided I can get it running again.

ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #14 - 05/02/13 at 08:21:41

hey it's not a great pic, but from what I can see it doesn't look rusted out or anything. You may have a diamond in the rough PJ, we'll all cross our fingers for ya  Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 14:28:36

General CategoryThe Cafe › Today, a Savage fell in my lap...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.