Service robbery..... (Read 234 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Service robbery.....
04/30/13 at 16:55:11

My unit ticked over 4 grand, and its due for the recommended service. I called two places, they want @ 4 bills plus parts, WTFudge  Shocked

My wife wants me to take it in, just to be sure, etc.....to catch any thing before the warranty expires come August (I think). I kinda want to start learning this stuff myself. I hear how easy this bike is to service, is it? I'm not a motor head by any stretch of the imagination, I can wrench, but I don't normally grasp things to quickly.

What do you guys think?  Undecided

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Service robbery.....
Reply #1 - 04/30/13 at 18:18:44

It don't need much...  oil and filter change.. check battery water,.. check air filter,.. drain the airbox overflow tube,.. check snugness of the to exhaust pipe manifold bolts... check yer' front brake pads,.. check the air in yer' tires,... and check valve adjustment...
Shouldn't cost more than $150 at the dealer... and that would be a rip-off at that ... 1hr work for a pro...
Might take a noob 3hrs... first try ever...

If you want to take baby steps... you can leave off the valve check 'till 6k...  that's the hardest thing for a noob...

...(just thought of a couple other things... if you want...
Lube the cables,.. and give a squirt of lube to the shift rod joints and sidestand)...

Dealers skip most of this stuff BTW... paying big bucks don't get you good care...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #2 - 05/01/13 at 04:18:40

There are some great straight up dealerships out there.......unfortunately they are too few and too far apart   Huh

Learn to wrench on your own ride, it's fullfilling, saves you lots of money and helps to gain knowledge that may prove helpfull when stuck on the side of the road one day   Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 05/01/13 at 04:42:08

The only extra thing that I can imagine would bring the price up to $ 400, would be is they did everything Serowbot listed......plus a re-torque of the head.  Getting the head cover off, rubber plug out, head nuts taken off and cleaned, anti-sieze on the studs, torque them down, button it all up and adjust the valves.....that would take a while and bring the price up considerably.

Is it necessary.......I don't thing we have any documented head gasket failures?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #4 - 05/01/13 at 04:54:04

I just happened to be in Star City Motor Sports in Lincoln, NE, a week or so ago. One of the sales folk told me their shop rate is $125/hour. It doesn't take very long at those rates to run up a big bill.

Suzuki calls for retorquing the head bolts every 4000 miles. This requires removing the head cover for access to some of the bolts. According to the Clymer manual, depending on build tolerances of the particular machine, the engine may have to be removed from the frame to get that cover off. Labor charges will rise quickly.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #5 - 05/01/13 at 05:31:59

What happens to your warranty if a "Certified Suzuki Service Center" does NOT do the "4000 mile recommended service"??

Is it OK on the warranty for someone else to do the work?  Like .. you?

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #6 - 05/01/13 at 05:48:02

The Magnuson Moss Federal warranties act USA only

http://business.ftc.gov/documents/bus01-businesspersons-guide-federal-warrant...

"Tie-In Sales" Provisions

Generally, tie-in sales provisions are not allowed. Such a provision would require a purchaser of the warranted product to buy an item or service from a particular company to use with the warranted product in order to be eligible to receive a remedy under the warranty. The following are examples of prohibited tie-in sales provisions.

In order to keep your new Plenum Brand Vacuum Cleaner warranty in effect, you must use genuine Plenum Brand Filter Bags. Failure to have scheduled maintenance performed, at your expense, by the Great American Maintenance Company, Inc., voids this warranty.

While you cannot use a tie-in sales provision, your warranty need not cover use of replacement parts, repairs, or maintenance that is inappropriate for your product. The following is an example of a permissible provision that excludes coverage of such things.

While necessary maintenance or repairs on your AudioMundo Stereo System can be performed by any company, we recommend that you use only authorized AudioMundo dealers. Improper or incorrectly performed maintenance or repair voids this warranty.

Although tie-in sales provisions generally are not allowed, you can include such a provision in your warranty if you can demonstrate to the satisfaction of the FTC that your product will not work properly without a specified item or service. If you believe that this is the case, you should contact the warranty staff of the FTC's Bureau of Consumer Protection for information on how to apply for a waiver of the tie-in sales prohibition.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 05/01/13 at 08:34:05

Ive got 20,000 miles on mine. Never touched a head bolt. No rubber plug issues, either.
I wouldnt let anyone mess with mine after the disaters weve seen caused here by idiots at dealerships.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #8 - 05/01/13 at 19:25:28

I'll let the wife rule this time....then its all mine. I'll learn what makes this gal tick, and I'll learn how to tickle her, especially with all the GREAT support of you fellow savages!  Grin

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #9 - 05/02/13 at 09:36:52

Understand the wife wins on this one but seriously...oil/filter change you can do (just pay attention to the parts and their orientation on the filter replacement).
put an ounce of seaform on the gas tank and ride it.
If you keep an eye on weird noises, leaking and stuff like that you could probably do nothing more to it than that for years...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 05:38:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Service robbery.....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.