Send Topic Print
Is this a good deal? (Read 127 times)
yo_o
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Is this a good deal?
04/30/13 at 14:54:28

Hello, I'm new to this forum, but from what I see there's a good amount of useful info here.

I've just recently come across this post on craigslist for an 1986 Savage for $1250. I've got some questions about the bike and I'm wondering what the Savage community think of this. I'm about to take a look at it tomorrow at noon.

1) From what I've researched the price seems to be about par or a bit lower than what the going rate for these is, am I about right?
2) This bike is for my wife (she's only 115 lbs) but I'm wondering what kind of top speed she'll get, I've seen it rated to 120 km/h, which might not be fast enough for some of the open stretches of road we want to drive (I understand that this isn't going to be comfortable anyway but I want her to have enough speed to keep out of trouble).
3) regarding #2 (top speed) what are my best bang for buck to get a bit more top end out of this bike?
4) I've had a 1980 CB750 before but this looks like a bit more rake, how is the slow speed drivability of this bike
5) Anything that I should look out for (ex. common issues, breaking points, etc)

Thanks in advance!
Happy riding! Smiley

IP Logged
yo_o
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

This is the link
Reply #1 - 04/30/13 at 14:55:00

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Is this a good deal?
Reply #2 - 04/30/13 at 15:18:45

I would rather have a later year than '86 (1st year)
anything after '95 is a plus because of the torque limiter for the starter.
You can upgrade the '86 with the '95 parts though.
all years have an issue with a head plug that leaks, not a big problem, just deduct for it if it's leaking
and the cam chain adjuster is not long enough.  You will need to inspect it regardless of miles (Km's?)

There's a buyers guide in the tech section, just follow the link below.

WWW   IP Logged
yo_o
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/30/13 at 15:29:45

Wow thanks for the quick reply. A lot of what your saying makes sense. Anytime you get a first-year production of anything there are going to be issues to be resolved.

I've just stumbled upon a Yamaha 650 Maxim around the same price, and it puts out double the horsepower (31 hp vs 71hp).

Downside is that it's heavier (447 lbs vs 341 lbs), seat height is higher (29" vs 26"), and honestly as long as the Savage gets her up to highway speeds she won't need that extra power and performance (actually it may be a negative).

They basically are completely different beasts. I think some sort of middle ground like a parallel twin 500 would be best. I'll pass this info on to her. Thanks

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #4 - 04/30/13 at 19:19:01

120 km/h = 75 mph ?  That's cruising speed.  On the freeway my 2000 ran Jes' Fine doing indicated 85 mph.  Weight is closer to 380 pounds wet.  The Maxim would be closer to 490-500 pounds wet.

I like Singles.  While the HP looks low, the torque is high.  The Savage may not be "fast", but it is "quick."  Very bikes can beat it across the intersection when the light goes green.  It is also a good bike for a lazy person -- you can be in top gear doing about 30-35 mph and you can just twist the throttle and accelerate, no need to down shift if you are being lazy.

WWW   IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 04/30/13 at 19:33:38

IMHO the worst feature of the 86 (and not all 86's even had these) was that smooth (non ribbed) intake manifold. Under high vacuum it will collapse on itself ... not fun.

Yea post 95 is better for starter ... but having owned several 86 and 87's and only 1 post 95 ... no big deal if you kept it in good nick IMHO.

yo_o wrote on 04/30/13 at 15:29:45:
Wow thanks for the quick reply. A lot of what your saying makes sense. Anytime you get a first-year production of anything there are going to be issues to be resolved.

I've just stumbled upon a Yamaha 650 Maxim around the same price, and it puts out double the horsepower (31 hp vs 71hp).

Downside is that it's heavier (447 lbs vs 341 lbs), seat height is higher (29" vs 26"), and honestly as long as the Savage gets her up to highway speeds she won't need that extra power and performance (actually it may be a negative).

They basically are completely different beasts. I think some sort of middle ground like a parallel twin 500 would be best. I'll pass this info on to her. Thanks

Hell no ... no 4 cyl yamaha ending with a 50 ... unless you like doing transmission rebuilds ... I know of one fool who bought a 48K mile 650, turned it into a cafe, complete with a ducati tank and a $1000 paint job only to have it slip gears ...

700 maxim is my favorite bike in 25 years of owning and 43 total bikes thought its only been about 15 different models ... a 700 maxim worth searching and driving 1000 miles for ... 650 ... not worth crossing the street to spit on ... though its supposedly a 1 time fix once you get the tranny out ...

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
yo_o
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/30/13 at 19:57:09

Thanks for the input!

"On the freeway my 2000 ran Jes' Fine doing indicated 85 mph"

That's good to know, i was wondering about the ACTUAL top speed of these bikes. It makes perfect sense that this bike should pull comfortably right up to that.

"I like Singles.  While the HP looks low, the torque is high"

I totally agree with you, I'm a single fan too. I love the torque and it'll be an easier bike to handle for her having a low revving torquey motor

"IMHO the worst feature of the 86 (and not all 86's even had these) was that smooth (non ribbed) intake manifold. Under high vacuum it will collapse on itself ... not fun."

Thanks for the input, I'll definitely look out for this

"Hell no ... no 4 cyl yamaha ending with a 50 ... unless you like doing transmission rebuilds ... "

Good to know!

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 04/30/13 at 20:02:39

A maxim 700 actually steers lighter than the savage especially @ low speeds ... the idiotic steering offset is the culprit ... on an unrelated note ... maxim fork legs fit a savage triple set and making spacers etc you can get a twin disk Front end on a savage ....

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
yo_o
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/30/13 at 20:22:04

"A maxim 700 actually steers lighter than the savage especially @ low speeds"

Looking at the rake on the savage i can understand why.

On another note:
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/mcy/3763668567.html

I may have found the middle ground between these two bikes.

I'll have a look tomorrow at both the Savage and the Maxim, I'll see if i can arrange to see this shadow on the weekend. That should give my wife some options.

Cheers.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #9 - 04/30/13 at 20:57:34

Actual top speed of a STOCK 650cc Savage/S40 is probably about 87 to 92 mph. The fitting of a 140/90 rear tyre apparently increases speedo accuracy. Some say they will use oil if ridden consistently over 75mph

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 04/30/13 at 23:37:01

jcstokes wrote on 04/30/13 at 20:57:34:
Actual top speed of a STOCK 650cc Savage/S40 is probably about 87 to 92 mph. The fitting of a 140/90 rear tyre apparently increases speedo accuracy. Some say they will use oil if ridden consistently over 75mph

Speedometer accuracy with the 140/90 is within a mile or two per hour. With the stock 140/80 it was 5-7 mph off.

Oil use? Um, yeah, almost the entire sump worth in roughly 3 hours of 55-65 mph in 100*F and 90%+ humidity... Won't go into the specifics past wrong weight and wrong type...  Roll Eyes

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 05:23:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Is this a good deal?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.