Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
help with a non savage...UPDATE! (Read 155 times)
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
help with a non savage...UPDATE!
04/30/13 at 14:19:49

I know, I know...but I do need help and I do OWN our beloved beast...
Bought a Honda XR200 at my brother's request who lives in another state (don't ask).
Anyway, it was not idling very well and stumbling and basically dying when ya fired it up...you could play with the choke and idle screw and kinda sorta keep it running.
Took the carb off cu'z i figured the pilot jet was clogged...it was...cleaned up the carb (all jets and openings). Fuel mix screw was OUT 8 turns...weird but okay i thought...
Put it back together and started her up with full choke...ran better but as soon as you turn the choke off it revs to the moon!
Any ideas????

Sorry, I'm bad but I've been looking on some of the dirt bike forums and just not getting a clear answer Huh

oh yah...I set the fuel mix screw at 2 1/2 turns when i put it back together...

« Last Edit: 05/02/13 at 21:14:59 by Bubba »  

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: help with a non savage...
Reply #1 - 04/30/13 at 14:50:13

Other bikes goes in cafe.

Sounds like an intake leak

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 04/30/13 at 16:25:26

Yup,.. air leak...  also check if there's an air filter in the box...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #3 - 04/30/13 at 17:07:41

Thx guys!

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #4 - 04/30/13 at 18:23:55

are you sure the idle (not the mixture) isn't turned up too high? i know on my Honda gl1000 the pilots were all clogged and the PO had turned the idle screw way up to compensate so that it was actually ruining on the mid range circuit.  once i cleaned them out, i had to turn it back down. interestingly enough, putting the choke on brought the revs down because it was running overly rich, like how the savage will start to die if you leave the choke on once it warms up. Hope this helps.

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #5 - 04/30/13 at 18:34:39

Thx...I've checked just about every screw setting and the carb is definately clean...pretty sure it's an air leak but the only way to check is to get it to idle on full choke and then spray around on certain areas with carb cleaner...just a little hard working by myself...I'm pretty convinced it's leaking right around the intake boot...just don't know why I can't get it to seal...thx all

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/30/13 at 19:32:24

Today I finished assembling a Honda 125 that previously only ran with the choke on full.  The main problem was a clogged low speed jet.  After cleaning out the carb I reconnected the airbox and filter.  It runs great now.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Jiggyfly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/01/13 at 01:02:19

Spray some contact cleaner or starting fluid around the intake area, with the choke on.....not at the mouth of the carb, or airbox, but the intake.....if revs increase, air leak. If not....keep cleaning!  Cheesy
Sometimes jets just need to be replaced.
A Yamaha YZ250f is soooooo finicky on the pilot jet I just had spares!

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #8 - 05/01/13 at 06:09:40

Thx everyone! I have sprayed carb cleaner around the intake with choke on and the revs actually decreased...killed the engine.

Gonna pull the carb again tonight and check the pilot jet again...I was also going to pull the whole airbox and intake tube to look for cracks/bad seals...it's gotta be leaking somewhere!
I was contemplating sealing off the airbox at the snorkle to see if it will run w/o the choke...not sure if that's right or wrong thinking tho'

I'm thinking that the fuel mix screw was out so far because the PO had a clogged pilot (which it was) and was compensating for the clogged jet.
thx again! I'll figure it out and post back what the end result was.

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Re: help with a non savage...UPDATE!
Reply #9 - 05/02/13 at 21:19:01

Fixed!
Turns out the air leak was at the top of the throttle slide...on the Keihin carb the throttle slide goes through the top of the throttle tube...there was supposed to be a gasket up on the top piece that screws on the body...well there wasn't so I cut a piece of rubber out of an old tire inner tube to fit and it runs top notch now!!! Cool
thx for all the suggestions!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 05/02/13 at 23:21:35

A... Bubba, you're genius!...
...and...
2... Keihin sucks!...

Wink... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #11 - 05/03/13 at 06:13:35

A) you guys are awesome
and...
1) don't all carbs suck??? LOL

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 05/03/13 at 16:45:13

Bubba wrote on 05/03/13 at 06:13:35:
A) you guys are awesome
and...
1) don't all carbs suck??? LOL

I thought they blew???  or do they suck and blow?    I dont' do carbs, idk

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 08:37:15

General CategoryThe Cafe › help with a non savage...UPDATE!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.