belt drive (Read 78 times)
nateordie
YaBB Newbies

impossible is
nothing

belt drive
04/30/13 at 09:40:52

Hello fellow riders,
I was reading up on some of the chain drive conversions some of you have done to lower the rpms for a higher cruising speed.  I take the freeway a lot so this topic has me interested.  I was wondering tho if there was a smaller BELT DRIVE that could be installed instead of doing a full conversion to a chain drive that would still have the effect of lowering rpms for cruising but still give me that good ol' maintenance free belt drive.  Thanks for the feedback.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: belt drive
Reply #1 - 04/30/13 at 09:58:37

The belt on the Suzuki Savage is unique......and there is not a range of pulley sizes available.

The Kawasaki EN454 and similar models used a belt with the same width and pitch (Bando) belt - but the front toothed pulley on ours is 23 tooth while the Kawasaki was 25 tooth.  This makes for a rpm reduction of 23/25 = 92%.....so if the stock bike is turning 4,355 rpm at 70mph - the Kawasaki conversion will reduce the rmp to 4,007.  Some don't feel that it is worth the effort.  THe commin chain conversion is a 17/43 ratio - which would bring the rpm down to 3,740 at 70 mph.

The problem in the toothed pulley change is the Kawasaki pulley needs to have the hub machined narrower, and it is very hard.  I had a friend cut it on a milling machine with a carbide cutting head.  The pulley also needs to have the little tangs that hold the side plates on trimmed a bit, and the engine case needs to be trimmed a bit.  I am going to give this a try later in the summer - as I have an 18" wheel and the swingarm will have to be modified to make clearance - the rear wheel has to slide forward a bit as a result of the 25 tooth sprocket. There is not a clearance problem wth the stock tire.

Trimming to engine case at tab to support pulley cover.

Kawasaki Silver pulley and stock black pulley.

Kawasaki part number:

Boh Serowbot and MMRanch has done this conversion.....MMRanch is still riding on his and Serowbot went back to stock.

I bellieve you have to take into account the hills in your area when you do this.  If the land is flat and open you can use a higher gearing than someone who is in a hilly area.  The bike will not redline in 5th gear stock - so this gearing change will not make the bike faster....just cut down the rpms some when you are cruising.

Serowbot had a thread about his.....I can't locate it.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
nateordie
YaBB Newbies

impossible is
nothing

Re: belt drive
Reply #2 - 04/30/13 at 10:22:10

good to know thanks!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home