Finished bobber (Read 678 times)
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Finished bobber
04/29/13 at 17:50:22

I'm not completely finished with my latest rebuild, but it is all back together. Lowered forks and front fender re-drilled to sit lower on tire. exhaust ported and wrapped with dyna muffler. New headlight, seat, and keystone bars. Tank is temporary while the dents get knocked out of the other. Might just do a harley tank though. I screwed up the rear fender but haven't decided if its worth trying to fix or get another. I forgot how much fun this bike is to ride. Too bad its raining most of this week. More pics to follow.

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Re: Finished bobber
Reply #1 - 04/29/13 at 18:02:00

Looking good mate.  Wink

IP Logged
TheSavagePJ

Learn as you go...

Schenectady, NY
Reply #2 - 04/29/13 at 18:19:55

Love the exhaust wrap with the white walls! That mile-marker over the tool box is a nice touch. A real head-turner you got there.  Smiley

2004, stock minus dyna exhaust
TheSavagePJ electrospector00   IP Logged
Kyle
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

St. Charles, IL
Reply #3 - 04/29/13 at 20:07:34

What rear fender is that?

IP Logged
Chris Roth

1995 Savage LS 650

Collinsville, IL
Reply #4 - 04/29/13 at 20:24:49

Kyle wrote on 04/29/13 at 20:07:34:
What rear fender is that?

I agree it is looking good... I like that fender too, but where might I find one?

IP Logged
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Reply #5 - 04/29/13 at 20:29:54

NICE!   Smiley

IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #6 - 04/30/13 at 08:49:10

Fender is a Harley Fat Bob rear. I think some fatboys and wide glides use a similar one. I got this one at a local place called the Jebby Shack for $20, all their used fenders are the same price. Check your local independent motorcycle shop that specializes in Harleys. They are bound to have a room full of cheap used parts. Ask if you can poke around, maybe take the part outside to see if it fits over your tire and between the shocks. This one had the all the bolt holes filled and bar stock welded on the inside sides to eliminate the stock side rails and a plate welded in the back for an aftermarket taillight and license plate. It was very professionally done, which is why I butchered it cutting those out.

You can literally make any fender fit very easily. Works best if you remove the tire, but you can jack it up and drop the shocks for a little more room too. Cut the fender to the relative shape you want and notch it to clear the belt, mock it up to where you want it, mark the bolt holes, drill holes, mount it, and ride it (I don't care about painting this one because its mangled, kinda matches the ratbob look though). Top frame rails are kinda far apart, so this time I put a bar between them and drilled mount holes in that. I'll get pics later. I have used the same process on 3 different fenders I made for this bike: a trailer fender, xs650, and this one.

PS. Chris, I like your avitar  Grin

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

IP Logged
diass
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 04/30/13 at 11:24:48

what is the mesure of that tyres nice ride Cheesy

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #8 - 04/30/13 at 11:43:30

groupus wrote on 04/30/13 at 08:49:10:
I got this one at a local place called the Jebby Shack

Hey groupus! You're local to me! I am in Denver, PA. I deal with Jebby often. He has a HUGE selection of take off parts very reasonably priced. Anyway, since we're local, perhaps we can meet or ride sometime?

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 04/30/13 at 11:49:57

Greg wrote on 04/30/13 at 11:43:30:

Hey groupus! You're local to me! I am in Denver, PA. I deal with Jebby often. He has a HUGE selection of take off parts very reasonably priced. Anyway, since we're local, perhaps we can meet or ride sometime?

When two or more members meet up,.. it's not official until they post us pics...
Click,.. click... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #10 - 04/30/13 at 12:16:39

Greg wrote on 04/30/13 at 11:43:30:

Hey cool! I live on the west side of Lancaster. you are pretty close to Ephrata, I am planning on going to the first sunday bike meet this weekend at the Ephrata American Legion. There are always a lot of cool bikes there. and bacon.

diass, The tire is a Dunlop 404 150/90, and it is massive. Too tall. I had to grind down some of the swing arm brace to keep it from rubbing.

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #11 - 04/30/13 at 12:41:11

groupus wrote on 04/30/13 at 12:16:39:
Hey cool! I live on the west side of Lancaster. you are pretty close to Ephrata, I am planning on going to the first sunday bike meet this weekend at the Ephrata American Legion. There are always a lot of cool bikes there. and bacon.

My riding group has a Meetup there. It would be cool if we can work out the details so we can meet! (http://www.meetup.com/Lanco-Motorcycle-Riding-Group/)

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #12 - 04/30/13 at 21:39:49

Cool Greg, I can definitely meet up with your group and ride over with you. 9 at the business center? Let me know if there are any other details other than what is on the Meetup site.

IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #13 - 04/30/13 at 21:43:48

More pics, as promised

This is of the fender mounting bar. see how without it, the bolts would go through the curved section of the fender and just make things harder to line up. you can also see the cut, bent and hammered piece of angle iron that serves as a seat/turn signal mount. it bolts to the stock seat location and rests on pieces of inner tube that are double sided taped to the frame.

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #14 - 05/01/13 at 04:17:24

groupus wrote on 04/30/13 at 21:39:49:
Cool Greg, I can definitely meet up with your group and ride over with you. 9 at the business center? Let me know if there are any other details other than what is on the Meetup site.

Nah, we make the details for the day when we all get there. See you then.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:32:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Finished bobber

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.