Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Float adjustment question (Read 69 times)
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Float adjustment question
04/28/13 at 22:29:36

I had a low speed lowside in December and haven't ridden much since. I've finally found time to repair the minor damage and decided to pull the carb and rejet (new jets: 52.5/150), since I knew it was running rich and I was going to have it apart anyway.

While I had a carb out, I measure the float position per Clymer's. It was 23mm. That shocked me a bit. I adjusted it up to 26mm. I know that's not in spec, but I didn't want to over adjust in case something was different with my float.

Now when I try the clear tube attached to the bowl drain test, it comes up a good 5mm below the gasket. I did not have the foresight to try this before I started bending things.

I'm not looking forward to pulling the carb again. Getting it out was a royal PITA, even with the battery box removed.

Anyway, my battery is dead (one cell was almost empty of liquid, I don't know if it spilled during the low side or something else) so can't ride until I try to charge it or buy a new one.

My questions:
  • When people describe the fuel level as slightly below the gasket, what does "slightly below" mean? 1mm? 5mm?
  • Without riding it and having it die because it's too lean, is there a third way to verify the float level?
  • Why do I always create more problems for myself?  Roll Eyes

-D. Dwarf

Pearl White 2007 S40; Dyna exhaust; Current jets: 52.5 w/ bleed (2 turns out) / 1.5mm (0.06") spacer / 150; raptor petcock
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Float adjustment question
Reply #1 - 04/28/13 at 22:56:22

1mm, 5mm,.. it ain't gonna' make that much difference...
As long as it's below the top of the bowl somewhat near there... (it's changing all the time as you go bouncing along anyway)...
4mm must be like .2 of an ounce of fuel...
Don't worry about it...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 04/29/13 at 04:28:00

I tried the clear tube method once after setting my floats - and I was below the gasket surface about the same as you.  On my bike I doubt if there is enough adjustment in the flloat tang to get it up to the gasket.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #3 - 04/29/13 at 20:52:52

So, how low is too low? Halfway? For us newbies, what are we looking for?

-D. Dwarf

Pearl White 2007 S40; Dyna exhaust; Current jets: 52.5 w/ bleed (2 turns out) / 1.5mm (0.06") spacer / 150; raptor petcock
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 04/30/13 at 06:58:05

DrunkenDwarf wrote on 04/29/13 at 20:52:52:
So, how low is too low? Halfway? For us newbies, what are we looking for?

-D. Dwarf

It definitely needs to be up near the top......the level does affect the opeation of the jets and the fuel mixture.  The lower the level the less fuel that flows.....and the mixture will be leaned out.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 05:27:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Float adjustment question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.