Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2002 suzuki savage wont start (Read 94 times)
Thaddaeus
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

2002 suzuki savage wont start
04/28/13 at 18:16:44

i recently bought a 2002 Suzuki savage about late Feb early march and it ran fine for a while and then it started acting sluggish about a week after i put new oil in and then blackish smoke started coming out of the exhaust about another week later . i put a new spark plug in it but it didn't help and i did gap the spark plug right. when i had the choke pulled out it wouldn't run like it wasn't getting enough gas or something and that's when you could really see the smoke. and after a while it wouldn't even start. im new to bikes so im not sure what it could be.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: 2002 suzuki savage wont start
Reply #1 - 04/28/13 at 18:20:44

WWW   IP Logged
Thaddaeus
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/29/13 at 01:38:16

i got the bike started last night. i pulled the spark plug that i just put in it out and it was black. i cleaned the soot looking substance and rechecked the spark gap and put it back in and it started. it is still acting slugish when i pull out the choke and when i ride it, every 5-30 sec it feels like it its chokeing again and then picks right back up to normal

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #3 - 04/29/13 at 04:05:12

Black sooty spark plug usually indicates an overly rich condition or possibly a weak ignition, what mods have been done to the bike by the previous owner?  Check the air filter while yor at it.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 04/29/13 at 04:24:59

verslagen1 wrote on 04/28/13 at 18:20:44:

You really need to follow Verslagens suggestion and test the petcock.  When the diaphragm is damaged it can allow fuel to flow through the vacuum line.....and may be he cause of your black smoke.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Thaddaeus
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/30/13 at 22:29:09

i tested the petcock but nothing happened but when i double checked the spark plug and put some carberator cleaner in my gas, after about a day it stopped with the black smoke and is running normal again. i think when i put the spark plug in the first time it was gaped wrong and wasn't sparking right and it took a min for it to clear up and I am replacing the air filter in a week to see if it helps the air flow. i don't know how to test airflow but i figure it wouldn't hurt to put a new one in there.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 05:33:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2002 suzuki savage wont start

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.