SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ottawa, Canada
Re: Lets talk about gear
Reply #15 - 04/29/13 at 10:29:26

HJC is-16 FF helmet all the time
Neck Gaiter for 30F - 50F
Tourmaster Coaster II Leather Jacket in all weather from 30 F to 105 F
Liner in plus warm base layer for cold days.
Looking for a good mesh jacket for the over 85 F days.
Tourmaster Venture Air pants over work pants or shorts depending on temperature.
Liner in for 30F-50F, just rainproof liner from 50F-70F, Just mesh after that.
Cruiser insulated gauntlets with glove liner from 30F to 50 F
Just the gauntlet from 50 F to 70 F
Short leather sport bike gloves with hard knuckle protection over 70 F
Looking for a decent mesh glove with sturdy construction for hot days.
5.11 Tactical HRT Water Proof Boots all the time.

I commute 75 miles a day from April through November.
As soon as snow is gone to when snow arrives , as long as it isn't raining in morning when I leave, I'm on the bike.
I wear my gear as the commute can get hairy with distracted drivers all over. I seldom get the chance to ride for purely pleasure and when I do, I usually wear all my gear.

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #16 - 04/29/13 at 10:41:44

FF helmet in winter. 3/4 helmet above 40*F. Half helmet above 70*F or so. I am contemplating my 3/4 helmet all summer. I like it better than my half helmet. It is an old school, low profile silver metal flake. I will see how it feels as it warms up. Gloves when it is below 60. Naked hands above. Jeans. Long underwear in the winter. Leather jacket in the winter, denim in spring and fall, denim vest in the summer. I only own one pair of shoes. They are work boots. I wear them winter and summer.

Having said all that, I would actually like to find a leather jacket that fits a manly sized man that wouldn't have me melting. I keep looking but no one stocks anything and all but one leather jacket has been sent back. The one I have is actually too big but I got it to wear my layers under it for the winter. It is the standard "biker jacket" style. I would like something different that fits correctly and is unlined for spring and summer.

None of these decisions are based on anything aside from what I feel comfortable wearing. If I am physically uncomfortable, I will be distracted and probably cause an accident. We are all adults here. People can wear or not wear what they choose unless the state has a say.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #17 - 04/29/13 at 12:58:35

I always wear my 3/4 with face shield. I now have a 1/2 flip up tint shield as well.

I keep two sets of golves in my saddle bags, finger-less and cold weather.

I have three jackets, a "summer joy" from joe rocket for warm weather and two leather jackets. Mostly I wear the leather.

I just bought my first set of chaps. But these are for cold weather.

I always wear pants, but I have to wear slacks to work, so thats not exactly protection. I will consider wearing the chaps during the summer...but that will probably prove too hot.

I always wear boots. They are just cheap steel toed walmart boots. But they cover my ankles and should be good for a pretty serious fall. So my most protected parts are my head and my feet????

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #18 - 04/29/13 at 13:04:22

apache snow-FSO wrote on 04/28/13 at 18:01:08:
Been riding since the mid 50s. Never been down on the highway. Didn't worry about it then. Don't worry about it now. I don't dress to have a wreck. I ride not to.

wear an HJC IS33 helmet with a flip up face shield, blue jeans, T shirt and leather shoes or boots in the summer. In the winter what ever it takes to keep warm.

I will not be preached to about what I wear. Others are free to choose what they wear but not to tell me what I should wear. Smiley

+1 my wife rode her motorcycle with shorts when It was real hot.She never went down in over 40,000 miles, She was 5'2  105 pounds.Bikes Yamaha SR500     Suzuki GN400     Suzuki GR 650

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #19 - 04/29/13 at 13:12:23

Apache, That is exactly the response I was hoping to avoid. My words were certainly NOT directed at anyone specific. Please know that I respect your opinion and your right to wear or not wear what you like. That is exactly why I ended my little rant with "I don't want to criticize anyone here, and of course, it's your choice."

I also recognize that in your years on this earth, you certainly have more knowledge and experience than me. You're a soldier, and I respect that that takes some guts. You can preach to me about that because you have been there, you have seen first hand things I never hope to see. I am not smarter than you, but I have crashed, so I can tell you, from my experience, it f*cking hurts. And when I read things like, "my knees were uncovered when the little pieces of what I thought were gravel scraped against my skin, only to find out later that they were my actual kneecaps grinding against the pavement below them," it kinda makes me want to wear gear.

I don't want to tell any of you what to do because I don't like it when people tell me what to do. I don't expect any of you to listen to me anyway, I am giving advice. It's free. I've ignored lots of advice before. Some I wish I had not. You say you don't dress to have a wreck and you ride not to. Those are words I have heard before. "It'll never happen to me." That just sounds ignorant. It's naive because it speaks of something that has not happened yet, something you cannot know with any certainty. "It has happened to me." That is truth because it speaks from experience. I can say the later, and I hope you don't ever get to. So be safe friends, avoid the crash and you will never need gear in the first place. You can then go on saying "It'll never happen to me."

My motto is Be Prepared. I will still ride without gear sometimes, but if I find myself debating whether or not to wear it, I will opt for it and be happier that I did. When I ride with my girl, I insist she wears her helmet, shoes and my protective jacket because I care about her safety more than my own.

PS. Nylons? Really Serowbot?

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #20 - 04/29/13 at 13:35:48

I never said it wouldn't happen. If it does it does. I will not be held hostage by fear of something that may or may not happen. So far I've led a charmed life. I'm either good or just lucky. And any way I'm already too old to die young. And I have lived a colorful life. I have done many things that I should not have lived through. And many times alcohol was involved. Oh I quit drinking many years ago.

Hell an old riding buddy used to say if nothing else kills you a jet plane will fall on you. Hes still kicking too.

I don't hold it against you for trying to be safe. Just don't try to shove your values on me. I am safe in other ways. What you shouldn't do is call someone stupid because thay don't do as you do. Oh and I'n not naive, I'm well aware of all the risk.

EDIT..Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I have been driving cars since 1960 and I have never had a car wreck either. Is that amazing or what. Shocked

And if I come across as a crotchety old curmudgeon thats because I am. Wink

« Last Edit: 04/29/13 at 15:03:22 by apache snow-FSO »  

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #21 - 04/29/13 at 13:51:23

If it feels good, do it !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 04/29/13 at 13:54:01

Serowbot wrote on 04/29/13 at 10:10:39:
Is it getting hot in here?... Huh...

On the lighter side...
Going on a few suggestions from this site (maybe somebody's foolin' with me)... I bought a pair of nylons a couple of months ago... (they're supposed to stop my jeans from draggin' against my sticky, sweaty, legs and body hair)...(you get that a lot here in the summer swelter)...
So,.. I have them,... The first decision, was whether to buy nude, or black,...(Hmmm?.. which is more manly?)... I went with black...
I haven't found the courage to try them yet,... I just keep flashing to an image of me in an ER, trying to explain my black nylons...
But,... if it really helps with cooling and stickiness,... I may become a convert... "crossvert?"...
We'll see... (don't worry,... I'll spare you the pics)... Huh...

Rock the gear... Grin...

I hope dem thangs is kevlar.

I would not like to have grated/melted nylon fibers dug outta my exterior.

http://www.dragginjeans.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=DLINERS

WWW   IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #23 - 04/29/13 at 13:54:52

What I had rather do than dress up and think that I am safe is ride defensively. I am aware of whats around me at all times. I watch other drivers like a hawk. They pull out in front of me all the time. I can usually look at them and know when they are going to do it. I can see it in their eyes.

If I see some one with the potential to do something stupid I either slow down of move over to avoid them. I constantly look for avenues of escape.

I have learned these things over the years. They have kept me safe. Oh yeah, the people in cars still try to kill me but I manage to stay a step ahead of them.

I do this when driving cars as well and have never had a car wreck. Cool (been driving cars since 1960)

I practice much more than the few things I have mentioned here but you get my drift.

have a good one

« Last Edit: 04/29/13 at 15:06:46 by apache snow-FSO »  

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #24 - 04/29/13 at 14:22:24

In cooler weather I have a nice buffalo hide leather jacket with zip out liner that also has some venting for when it gets a little warmer.   I also wear a FF helmet during the months that I can.  As it starts getting warmer I have a mesh jacket that I wear until it just get to darn hot, then it's just a short sleeve shirt from then on.  Also for now during the warmer times I use a brain bucket for a helmet but I'm going to get a 3/4 helmet sometime this season, I also wear a good pair of riding glasses when I have the open face helmets.  I very rarely ride with no helmet at all.

I am very sensitive to the heat so that's the reason I drop the jackets once it gets to a certain outside temp.

Pant wise I always just wear jeans, and if it's cold enough I put on a pair of sweats over the jeans, or wear some insulated coveralls over my cloths.

Foot wear is always a pair of Hightop leather sneakers, I have yet to find any boots that are comfortable to wear with my flat feet. The built in arches in all the boots kill my feet.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #25 - 04/29/13 at 16:00:35

I don't know what kinds of bugs you guys have in your various locations, but we have something that we call a June bug. They are about the size of your thumb to the first joint. I used to wear fingerless gloves until I met one going 70 one day with the tip of my small finger. Turned the nail black and hurt like a sumbitch. I also always remember to zip up the cuffs on my jackets now since the wasp went in and stung me 5 times before I could safely stop and remove it. I have also collided with a hummingbird. I was going 70 one way, it was going very fast the other. BIG bruise on my shoulder. Short sleaves? no way. Grin
Hi top leather sneakers? Great idea. I have a bone spur on my heel that doesn't like any hard soled shoes.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #26 - 04/29/13 at 16:25:55

rfw2003 wrote on 04/29/13 at 14:22:24:
Foot wear is always a pair of Hightop leather sneakers, I have yet to find any boots that are comfortable to wear with my flat feet. The built in arches in all the boots kill my feet.

R.F.

Have you tried the old standard issue combat boots?  When I was in, everyone upgraded because of a total lack of arch support.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #27 - 04/29/13 at 16:37:43

SALB wrote on 04/29/13 at 16:25:55:
rfw2003 wrote on 04/29/13 at 14:22:24:

R.F.

Have you tried the old standard issue combat boots?  When I was in, everyone upgraded because of a total lack of arch support.

My son (who weighs over 400 pounds and said goodbye to his arches long ago) swears by them, when he can find size 14.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #28 - 04/29/13 at 19:07:11

apache snow-FSO wrote on 04/29/13 at 09:19:28:
groupus wrote on 04/29/13 at 08:38:39:
If you think "oh, that won't happen to me, I'm a safe rider," or "I've been riding all my life and never blah blah blah," then you are truly stupid or just plain ignorant. Statistics are against you.
Well here's another one who thinks that they need to tell every one whats best for them and how to live their lives, Shocked...So you have the nerve to call someone you don't know stupid. Angry Hell, you are way beyond preaching and gone to getting personal now....
Ditto.  Why bother.

They are either kids, or old farts who have crashed, more than once, and think that no one else could be better than they are.  

They call us "truly stupid or just plain ignorant" -- but the Statistics are actually against them.  We started riding in the '50's - '60's.    We had accidents, injuries, deaths.  And we learned that pain does hurts and we learned how to avoid crashing.  They now claim that motorcycling is dangerous, that they have to wear "gear" to protect from injuries and deaths.  Statistically the rate of deaths per accidents is about three times greater than when the '50's - '70's -- *because* they wear gear and think they are "protected."  They claim that "helmets save lives."  About 40%.  Claim because in California of a 40% drop in deaths when the helmet law was passed -- but because the number of motorcycles dropped by 40% also.   In the U.S., roughly 50% of the people live in States that mandate motorcycle helmets -- the other 50% may choose.  The States that mandate motorcycle helmets have a higher rate of motorcycle accidents per registered riders, and a higher rate of deaths per accidents.

I have been on-line for over 30 years.  They cannot prove the gear helps, so they have to get personal.

Ignore them.

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #29 - 04/29/13 at 19:57:44

SALB wrote on 04/29/13 at 16:25:55:
... Have you tried the old standard issue combat boots?  When I was in, everyone upgraded because of a total lack of arch support.
The U.S. Air Farce issued me two pairs of Brogans (Chair Force doesn't do "combat") -- in size 8 EEEE.  First pair of shoes that actually fit me.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 20:25:44

General CategoryThe Cafe › Lets talk about gear

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.