Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Lets talk about gear (Read 782 times)
TheSavagePJ

Learn as you go...

Schenectady, NY
Lets talk about gear
04/28/13 at 17:48:41

**Mods, since this post isn't directly related to the Savage, I wasn't sure if I should post it here or elsewhere. I couldn't find anywhere else it would fit. If I screwed up, everyone gang up on the new guy  Smiley

I was out enjoying the near-perfect weather we are having here in upstate NY, riding by myself, as I always do. Of course, I saw plenty of other bikers out there... guys in full gear thats probably worth more than my bike, the standard cookie-cutter Harley guys in their jean vests and brain buckets, obligatory crotch rockets and one guy I saw on a road king in flip flops, shorts, tank top and a full face helmet. Of course, I wanted to facepalm, but doing that while riding can be hazardous to your health.

What I'm getting at is the importance of gear. I know most of you got this lecture thousands of times before, especially if you took the MSF safety course. However, if you didn't, you're about to hear it from a total noob. Dropping lots of money into your bike and making it truly yours is all fine and good, though many people forget to spend some of that money on quality gear. If the worst ever does happen, are you going to want Kevlar between you and the pavement, or that tattered jean vest that makes you feel like a hard biker dude?

I won't go on forever about this, because I certainly could. We are all adults (according to our licenses anyhow) but I wanted to preface my questions to you guys with the reminder of how important it is to check over your gear for wear and tear, and don't take chances. If the soles are coming off your favorite boots, time for a new pair. That extra $100 COULD be the difference between walking away from a wreck with scrapes and bruises and not being able to walk at all, or worse.

(On a side note, I am bringing this up because a good friend of mine from high school highsided this weekend. Though he's still at the hospital right now, he'll be back on his feet soon. In a nutshell, he's been riding for 7 years and he told me that if it wasn't for his gear, he'd most likely be dead. Needless to say, I'm a little shaken by this.)

Now that we are all on the same page of how F****** IMPORTANT proper gear is, lets talk about our gear. Admittedly, my gear could be better. You will always see me with a full face helmet, leather motorcycle jacket (with minor padding in the shoulders and back, could be better), leather gloves, jeans and slightly higher than ankle boots that are sturdy but breathe really well. Overall, I'd give myself a C+, maybe a B-. Money, as always, is my biggest hurdle. Any recommendations? I have considered looking for secondhand gear, but even that comes with its own set of perils. Someone elses worn out gear isn't going to do squat for you if it comes down to it.

What grade would you give yourself? How often are you actually thinking about the effectiveness of your gear? I'd like to know your take on gear. Every rider should have one, and if you haven't thought about the "what ifs" of riding, sorry mate, you shouldn't be riding at all.

To everyone here, happy and safe riding. Most, if not all of you have families and people who care about you, so even if you tend to put your personal safety in less than top priority, make it your top priority for them.  Cool

2004, stock minus dyna exhaust
TheSavagePJ electrospector00   IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Re: Lets talk about gear
Reply #1 - 04/28/13 at 18:01:08

Been riding since the mid 50s. Never been down on the highway. Didn't worry about it then. Don't worry about it now. I don't dress to have a wreck. I ride not to.

wear an HJC IS33 helmet with a flip up face shield, blue jeans, T shirt and leather shoes or boots in the summer. In the winter what ever it takes to keep warm.

I will not be preached to about what I wear. Others are free to choose what they wear but not to tell me what I should wear. Smiley

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 04/28/13 at 18:05:08

Welp,... I always wear FF,.. and ankle boots... long pants and shirt... fingerless gloves...
Temps under 90',... high quality snug v-pilot leather jacket...
Temps go well past 100' here,... (I just can't do leather or armor in in that)...

Something people don't consider enough,... is sun protection... a good sunblock, and long sleeves... (you don't move around that much  on a bike, and can end up with a wicked burn)...

Otherwisedly,... I'm not a huge fan of those hard foam armor pads...(face it,.. really, that's not armor, it's just foam and plastic)... but, it just don't stay in place... Sewn into heavy leather racing suits, yes,... but I've never seen it in a textile jacket I like....
I feel like I'm wearing a shipping box... Tongue...
That's just me... Huh...

...(I just got teleported to the Cafe'... made me dizzy)... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
v-pilot

Loud bikes rule!

Rexford NY
Reply #3 - 04/28/13 at 18:40:39

I'm with Serow...ATGATT...My v-pilot leather and matching pants when below 85 (I run cold anyway) I have an armored mesh jacket and nylon armor pants for hotter weather and vented gloves and a Scorpion EXO-1000 FF

Suzuki DR650, aprilia RSVR, aprilia Falco, Bimota DB4(2x)
Moto Guzzi V10, Ducati 900ss, Triumph Trident, Suzuki LS650
Moto Guzzi Le Mans SE(2x), Moto Guzzi V50, Benelli 250, Ducati 250
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #4 - 04/28/13 at 22:22:27

Wow    The best protection I can think of is  to  , get my brain in gear befor starting the motor , Suppect every situtation and other driver I meet, and doin't ever drive faster than my gardian angel can fly !

Everything else is just for my comfort.  Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 04/28/13 at 23:09:38

Winter gear is armor weight chaps and jacket, lined gauntlets, steel toed 17" high jackboots, 3/4 helmet.

Warm weather gear is jeans, jackboots, unlined leather gloves, leather vest (maybe) and a half helmet.

In a free choice state, lid less year round.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #6 - 04/29/13 at 04:34:50

ATGATT for me, always including a full face helmet and 10" riding boots.

Below 50 degrees- Leather jacket with winter liner & armor, leather riding pants, Gortex leather gloves,  fitted neck wrap/dickie what ever they call them.

50 to 85 degrees- Leather jacket with TFL cool system & armor, jeans, leather gloves.

85 and up- Mesh riding jacket with armor, summer mesh gloves with armor points, jeans.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 04/29/13 at 04:43:50

My gear is pretty limited right now.  Old used and out of certificaiton  FF helmet from a drag reacer friend, leather jacket with shoulder and elbow armor, work boots.

I plan on adding some gloves as your hands can really suffer while bouncing along the pavement, and I hope to get a better helmet.

Serowbot......Glad you enjoyed the trip over to the Cafe! Grin

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #8 - 04/29/13 at 06:24:20

Cold weather- heavy leather jacket on a leather vest, jeans with leather chaps, engineer boots, heavy gloves, which I added pockets to for small hand warmers, and a face mask.
Warm weather- mesh jacket with armor, light gloves, jeans, and over the ankle boots.
I have four helmets. The one I wear the most is a Draxtar P-104 from Germany. It has a half face shield, and attenuates the noise to the point that I have to take it off to hear a conversation.
I have a very nice Shoe (sp) FF, but it is a PITA to take on and off when you wear glasses, so I hardly ever use it.

« Last Edit: 05/02/13 at 06:27:55 by arteacher »  

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
TheSavagePJ

Learn as you go...

Schenectady, NY
Reply #9 - 04/29/13 at 08:08:57

Arteacher, I know what you mean about helmets being a PITA when you wear glasses. My helmet of choice is an ATX FF that can flip up to be a 3/4, with polorized shades that can switch down and reduce glare. Very useful for us 4-eyed riders.

Serowbot, that is one area where I completely agree with you. Many of armored choices in jackets and pants are bulky, chunky and just plain annoying. I'm not out to look like an Imperial Stormtrooper, I was just wondering if anybody found gear thats a good balance between armor and comfort? Any military or ex military guys know of anything?

Apache, I don't mean to be preachy. What you wear is your choice, and if you feel confident in a t-shirt, so be it. I admit to wearing t shirts, as it does feel nice on those warm days. You've been riding long before I was even a twinkle in my parents eye, and I have little doubt of your abilities. Though the majority of your riding career, people didnt have smartphones, tablets, gps nav screens, or cup holders in cars.  Most riders I know are usually very good drivers, its the other people out there I don't trust, especially after they had a couple drinks.

2004, stock minus dyna exhaust
TheSavagePJ electrospector00   IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #10 - 04/29/13 at 08:38:39

PLEASE READ: long post, sorry.
So there have been a few discussions about gear recently and I am glad! I have been pretty disappointed in my own level of protection, but I am looking to remedy that this year and I hope all of you will too.

My normal commuting attire in the past has been a FF helmet, jeans over dress pants, leather riding gloves, and a crash tested leather jacket. In colder weather I wear snowboarding pants, a winter coat and thicker gloves.

After reading this article that was posted here in the cafe, I have really been motivated to upgrade. I hope you all read it too.
http://www.rockthegear.org/index.php?/testimonials/view/brittany_morrow_the_r...

I can tell you from experience that jeans offer absolutely ZERO protection against pavement. Not all leather jackets are created equal either. Most department store jackets or motorcycle-style jackets are not thick or strong enough to handle a fall at even 15 mph. Again, i learned this. I also know that it's not the impact that hurts, it's the slide. Once you start to slide, and you will slide, you cannot stop it. Whatever part of you is being ground into the asphalt will have to take it until the slide stops on its own. And the things you will slide on most will be your hands, knees, shoulders (a reason to get gear for each!).

I used to ride without a helmet sometimes or put it on the the backrest, but what good is that nice expensive helmet going to to do there? Wear it! You cannot predict which ride you are going to have an accident. Last time I took a low speed tumble on grass. I came to standing up, fully conscious, coherently talking to a police officer. Even with the cushion of the dirt and grass, I still bumped my head hard enough to black out  Shocked. That's like taking a punch from a professional boxer, with the helmet! I could have been brain dead.

If you think "oh, that won't happen to me, I'm a safe rider," or "I've been riding all my life and never blah blah blah," then you are truly stupid or just plain ignorant. Statistics are against you. The old adage that there are two types of riders is true: those who have and those who will. No matter how safe you think you are, you can never account for road conditions, other drivers, or just freak occurrences. My dad has been riding longer than I have been alive and he went down 2 years ago on some gravel that had accumulated in a corner. Very low speed, broke his lower leg. A couple of thousand dollars later and his leg still hurts. My buddy just got hit by a car. In the ER but ok. It happens, neither of them saw it coming or were able to do anything to prevent it. We all know someone who has died riding. I cannot say that gear could change any of these incidents, but it will never do more harm. Hindsight may be 20/20 but is worth f*ck-all after it has happened.

Closing statements:

Seriously, this stuff does not have to be expensive. A $50 KBC helmet will do just as good of a job as a $800 Arai for how we ride. I implore anyone reading this to please spend just $100 this year on some actual gear. If you don't have gloves, get a cheap pair. If you don't have an abrasion resistant jacket get one. Don't have a helmet? What the hell, man!? If you think you are stronger than steel and asphalt, don't think of gear as protection for yourself. Think of it as protection for your family and loved ones from the pain losing you, or the horror of watching your spend months in the ICU after being partially skinned alive on the highway, or having to feed you through a tube and empty your sh!t bag. I wouldn't wish that on anyone i know. Don't forget about the financial burden of hundreds of thousands of dollars of medical bills. Gear will look cheap after that.

For anyone worried about price, check out motorcycle-superstore.com. Great prices and review on everything, plus they do returns!
Seriously:
FF helmets from $44
Pants less that $90
Jackets, plenty under $90 too

For those worried about comfort, mesh is great for the summer and is more breathable than jeans (and no, its not see through). even taking the pads and armor out still gives you a lot of protection. Helmets are not uncomfortable, if it is, you got the wrong one. I actually stay cooler in my black helmet in the summer b/c it keeps the sun off and is vented.

Worried about looks? seriously? do you care about how people think you look? Besides, you ride a motorcycle! you're already look cool!  Cheesy    Would you rather dress up like pirate like harley guys do or be called a squid?

Finally, I don't want to criticize anyone here, and of course, it's your choice. I want everyone to be safe so you can continue to post here and be a part of this great community!
I will never stop riding, but I have absolutely no reason not to protect myself.
What's your excuse?

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 04/29/13 at 08:54:19

I wear a tour master Jett textile jacket and love it.
It fits well, has the armor, zip out liner and vents.
It's great for all but the hottest CA days.
For which I'll don a mesh jacket.
A 3rd Jacket is a Cortech Pac coast in leather.

I'm very happy with the way they all fit.
The Jett is a little worse for the wear, but I'm not    Grin

As far as the lower half goes, mostly jeans, textile over pants for the cold mornings.  hiking or work boots (over ankle) for all day comfort, or over calf boots for the commute.  Also have a pair of leather legs to wear with the short boots when the day ride is going to be a stone throwing competition.

It's hard to enjoy a cervesa with a busted cabesa so I wear a Z1R FF most of the time.  But I can't fit that in my luggage so I also have a Scorpion half helmet.  Which is great for around town too.  Bearly tolerable at superslab speeds though.

WWW   IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #12 - 04/29/13 at 09:19:28

groupus wrote on 04/29/13 at 08:38:39:
If you think "oh, that won't happen to me, I'm a safe rider," or "I've been riding all my life and never blah blah blah," then you are truly stupid or just plain ignorant. Statistics are against you.

Well here's another one who thinks that they need to tell every one whats best for them and how to live their lives, Shocked...So you have the nerve to call someone you don't know stupid. Angry Hell, you are way beyond preaching and gone to getting personal now.

I have been riding for around 56 years. In the early years we didn't wear helmets. No one did. Every one I know who rode then survived, I have made it all these years with out crashing because I have the mindset not to.

You can go peddle your I'm smarter than you and know whats best for you attitude some where else. You must work for the government. Cheesy

If I get so scared I have to put on a suit of armor to ride my motorcycle, I will just quit riding. Cool

I've been involved in things way  more dangerious than riding a motorcycle.

Thus my screen name apache snow

http://www.b2501airborne.com/APACHE_SNOW.htm

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 04/29/13 at 10:10:39

Is it getting hot in here?... Huh...

On the lighter side...
Going on a few suggestions from this site (maybe somebody's foolin' with me)... I bought a pair of nylons a couple of months ago... (they're supposed to stop my jeans from draggin' against my sticky, sweaty, legs and body hair)...(you get that a lot here in the summer swelter)...
So,.. I have them,... The first decision, was whether to buy nude, or black,...(Hmmm?.. which is more manly?)... I went with black...
I haven't found the courage to try them yet,... I just keep flashing to an image of me in an ER, trying to explain my black nylons...
But,... if it really helps with cooling and stickiness,... I may become a convert... "crossvert?"...
We'll see... (don't worry,... I'll spare you the pics)... Huh...

Rock the gear... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #14 - 04/29/13 at 10:27:22

That reminds me, did you hear about the cross dresser? He was often a broad. Grin

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:19:15

General CategoryThe Cafe › Lets talk about gear

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.