Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Just got bike,,me have questions (Read 669 times)
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Re: Just got bike,,me have questions
Reply #15 - 04/29/13 at 20:05:24

Resampled_2013-04-29_12-44-20_442.jpg

'03 LS 650 bobber - Highly modified...crashed it.
  IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #16 - 04/29/13 at 20:13:05

i like the diamond plate too. He also took a sander to the metal that covers the head, it dulls it out and makes it look tougher.

IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #17 - 04/30/13 at 18:58:11

ok, so for some reason i only put 3 #4 washers on there. the big plastic spacer and 4th washer i put away. so with 3 washers and I messed with the mixture screw I think one hole turn out was what felt good, then I adjust the idle and went for a ride. this time I feel a bit more power more equally spread throughout the power band. still pops between gears but i think less, less of a backfire on shutdown, a little less popping and nonsense when using the engine to slow down, but it still seems a little much. so what do I do now?

needle_mod.jpg

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 05/01/13 at 08:39:39

Still seems a little rich.......when?  What operating conditions does it seem rich?

Full Throttle acceleration?
Steady Speed Cruise?
Light Throttle Acceleration?
Idle?
Rolling off the throttle?
Downshifting?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #19 - 05/01/13 at 09:53:34

probably rolling off the throttle and downshifting. lemmy hop on her right now with this in mind.

IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #20 - 05/01/13 at 17:10:32

huh... i dont know. its got way more power now that's for sure. much better that with that one big spacer. I'm not sure i know how to identify what's too rich. I don't smell a whole lot of unburnt gas. it backfires less than before but most of the time I get one or two big pops between gears accelerating, it pops a bunch when I use the motor to slow the bike down, and 80 percent of the time I get a backfire upon shutdown though it's much less other backfire now. I guess it would help a bit if I had a tacometer and speedometer.

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #21 - 05/02/13 at 09:53:18

something doesn't seem right with the washers picture...i don't recall so well but my needle had no needle clip adjustment...that's why I adjusted the setting with washers...it appears as if your needle does have an adjustable jet setting so you should not need the washers (plus the would go under the jet not over it)... Huh

Maybe I'm just forgetting what it actually looks like in there????

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 05/02/13 at 10:03:07

Bubba wrote on 05/02/13 at 09:53:18:
something doesn't seem right with the washers picture...i don't recall so well but my needle had no needle clip adjustment...that's why I adjusted the setting with washers...it appears as if your needle does have an adjustable jet setting so you should not need the washers (plus the would go under the jet not over it)... Huh

Maybe I'm just forgetting what it actually looks like in there????

Yep, he could elmiminate having more than 1 washer above and below the E-clip.  1 below for the spring, maybe 1 above for adjustment to get a half setting between grooves.

WWW   IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #23 - 05/02/13 at 10:26:27

alright, I'm starting to get a little heated now this shouldn't be that hard. before my brother sold me the bike he put in a dynojet kit. now if you look at the picture I took that are the instructions it shows the dynojet parts and stock parts. so when Lancer suggested I reinstall the white spacer, I've been installing the white spacer/washers and whatnot with that E-clip on the 4th groove from the top of the needle. So im getting some conflicting information here. so wats the deal? this really should not be that tricky it should be fairly standard on how to get this simple bike to run properly. So,, With all that being said and with the pictures I posted, whats the real next move.

dynojetinst.jpg

IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #24 - 05/02/13 at 10:29:07

got this discussion off this site titled midrange power and the white spacer (backfire)

pg3of5.jpg

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #25 - 05/02/13 at 10:32:10

the stock setup does not have the needle clips (i guess older ones did maybe) so to do adjustments on the needle setting you just need to move the clip to different positions...

the higher the clip is on the needle the leaner it gets in the mid-range...

the lower you move it the richer it gets in the mid-range...

spacers are not needed except maybe to stop the spring but if the clip stops the spring then you may not even need that...

edit: you should only use what came stock with the dynojet kit is what I'm trying to say...the adjustable needle is essentially doing what the white spacer mod does...hope that helps...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #26 - 05/02/13 at 14:10:09

Ahha!!!! Now that makes sense. Okay so what is the process for attacking all five variables-- idle screw, mixture screw, needle, main and pilot jet?.. because I've read conflicting information on this site. I have a feeling yall are going to say go back to stock and start from there, but that ain't happening. there has got to be some sort of systematic process. I mean at some point I should know whether I have togo down to a 52.5pilot and 150 main right? if I'm to adjust the mixture screw till I hear a significant raise in rpm, then back the idle screw down to lower rpm's to 1000, where would I start with the idle screw in the first place?

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #27 - 05/02/13 at 15:07:58

Depends on you're elevation, what jet's you have on now etc...I think your dynojet said to start on the 4th from the top setting so I'd do that but I don't have a dynojet so it's as good a place as any I guess.
Start the bike and let it idle at a 1000 rpm's...for a few minutes anyway. I actually like my idle set a little higher because I'd rather have more oil getting pumped up into the head than starve the head for oil...low idles will kill these bikes.
Keep track of the turns and then screw your mix screw in (the one on the right side under what used to be the brass plug) very gently until it stops (DON'T crank on it! Be super gentle cuz if it breaks you're screwed) count the number of turns out you were so you have a baseline of when it was actually running.

Then turn it out 2 turns. then go through these steps...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1309246277

or these...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1309246277

By far Lancer is the guru on tuning the carbs on these bikes so if you want to read through his tech articles they are great!

You'll get it running right so go slow and don't rush it...
Good Luck!

IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #28 - 05/02/13 at 20:38:21

Awesome. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I'm nursing an injury so as soon as it gets a little better I'll take apart the carb and start the process. again a special thanks to everyone for helping me. hopefully I can pass on this knowledge to help someone else. I do have two questions for you Bubba. A while back you posted that the spacers would be underneath the clip on the needle not above it... Now how can that be? also, I've never taken the bottom of the carburetor apart. I've only gone thru the top and replaced the pilot and main that way. in the first link of the last message you sent me it shows messin with jets at the bottom of the carb where the bowl and floar are. am I supposed to do something down there too?

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #29 - 05/02/13 at 21:12:14

ha, yeah, it was like 3 years ago when i messed with my carb on this bike so the memory isn't so great...yes, the spacer goes on top...that is correct...
as far as the jets (pilot, main) every carb i've worked on you get access to those from the float bowl...(2 strokes, dirt bikes etc)

i wouldn't mess with them unless you discover that the mixture is way off through your tuning of the mix screw...if you go to the table of contents in the tech section there is a whole mess of good carb tuning info there...
hope that helps!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 08:38:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Just got bike,,me have questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.