Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Just got bike,,me have questions (Read 669 times)
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Just got bike,,me have questions
04/28/13 at 00:53:16

First off, I'd like to thank everyone for making this site possible, it is a wealth of knowledge. Unfortunately there are about a billion pages of it to search through. so I'd like to start this thread about my bike, and all questions or comments pertaining to it.  She's a 2003 LS 650, jardine exhaust, k&n cone filter, #55 pilot w/bh - #155 main, and some other strange modifications I'm not familiar with.
At the moment I'm trippin on this whole jetting/mixture screw/powerband/flames shooting out the tailpipe issue. I'm one full turn out on the mixture screw and there is one really thin metal washer atop the needle. this bike pops and cracks and backfires and shoots flames 'n stuff. also there is like this dead spot in the power band. how do I go about fixing this stuff?

2013-03-05_12-16-17_73www.jpg

'03 LS 650 bobber - Highly modified...crashed it.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: Just got bike,,me have questions
Reply #1 - 04/28/13 at 07:31:14

If you're ok w/ doing carberators, I myself would bring everything  back to stock, and go from there. Reason for that is these bikes run good stock,.....maybe a little lean, but even w/ exhaust and intake mods, stock would be a good place to start. Otherwise you could be in trial and error stage a while. Others may have better ideas.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #2 - 04/28/13 at 12:53:58

Gotcha,, good idea. i know i read the topic somewhere on this site as to the what the stock settings are because I'm not sure this bike has ever been at stock settings. though I will say the pilot jet was a #47 and the main jet was probably stock. what was happening was the bike will go on the freeway for about a mile and then start starving for gas because the main jet wasnt supplying enough. I was going off of Diamond Jims LS650 progressive jetting guide and just jumped from like stage 1 to stage 7. possibly I just keep the 155 Main and lower the pilot. hey when you're going like 80 on the freeway does gas squirt of both the pilot and the main at full force? Like, does it take both of them to meet the fuel need at freeway speed?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 04/28/13 at 13:09:40

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 04/28/13 at 13:19:29

I ran a 155 over 55 for many years on the west coast. You shouldn't be having any backfiring or popping. If you are at sea level to about 700 feet in elevation, your carb is probably a tad rich, my bike smoked like an old diesel big rig, pilot was too big. No messing with the white spacer or washer conversions, I don't pull vacuum slides out until they fail.

Stock on mine (1998) was a 47 pilot jet and I think a 150 main. Switching it back to a 155 over 50 to cut the smoke. Which is actually just toasted yet unburnt fuel.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #5 - 04/28/13 at 13:33:37

According to the Suzuki factory service manual 1997 through 2003 models had a 52.5 pilot jet and a 145 main jet. Thats for E-03 and 28 models.

That is the same for 2004 till now as well.

The manual list calif E33 models as the same.

The 1987 and 1988 model lists a 47.5 pilot and a 155 main jet.

Then in 1995 is when they went to the 52.2 pilot jet and the 145 main jet according to the factory manual.

This is for the USA only.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 04/28/13 at 16:13:09

Boogieman wrote on 04/28/13 at 00:53:16:
First off, I'd like to thank everyone for making this site possible, it is a wealth of knowledge. Unfortunately there are about a billion pages of it to search through. so I'd like to start this thread about my bike, and all questions or comments pertaining to it.  She's a 2003 LS 650, jardine exhaust {a Jardine is a high flow muffler which will really lean the mixture unless compensated for with at least a #52.5 pilot or a #55 pilot which is often the case},
k&n cone filter {this will lean the mixture a bit too},
#55 pilot w/bh - #155 main {leave the pilot and main jets in there for now and fix your needle}
and some other strange modifications can you describe them ? I'm not familiar with.
At the moment I'm trippin on this whole jetting/mixture screw/powerband/flames shooting out the tailpipe issue. I'm one full turn out on the mixture screw and
there is one really thin metal washer atop the needle. just the one washer ? no white plastic spacer ? ..... if so then you need to add 3 more washers to the needle which will raise it up and give you some fuel for the mid range...as it is right now it is starving ... talk about a DEAD SPOT !}
this bike pops and cracks and backfires and shoots flames 'n stuff. also there is like this dead spot in the power band. how do I go about fixing this stuff?
When you turn the pilot screw does the engine respond within 1/4 or at least 1/2 turn ?
If not, then passageways inside the carb body are clogged and need cleaning out before you can jet/tune properly, otherwise everything will be bass akwards or just non-responsive.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #7 - 04/28/13 at 16:23:26

Dead spots come from a mis-match with the jets, your needle and/or your air-screw. Each of these things controls a general throttle position but they have very large over-laps. If you have a heavy dead-sopt, someone has adjusted something WAY too far. Start by getting all of your adjustments back to factory spec and then you can begin adjusting from there. It's much easier to start from scratch than to waste time figuring out what they did wrong. Most likely you'll find out what they did wrong as you're going back to factory specs anyways.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #8 - 04/28/13 at 16:28:08

This is what I'm taking about with the large over-laps.

http://www.sudco.com/Carburetor/MikuniThrottleChart.700.jpg

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #9 - 04/28/13 at 16:33:32

Hey Boogieman first off I dig your username.  Wink And secondly its a bit off topic but could you take pics of your seat mounts.  Smiley

IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #10 - 04/29/13 at 19:55:44

Wow thanx everyone for being so willing to help.
Ok LANCER, so as far as strange modifications go I'm really just talking about tank, handle bars, seat, signals and stuff. I got this bike from my brother and he's the one that basically made it rideable by attaching all that stuff temporarily and got it running. He did the LED/diamond plate stuff. Im posting some pics to give everyone a better idea of what I'm dealing with here. The tank doesnt fit it very well So either I get a new tank or move/remove all that nonsense from underneath it. yeah I don't know what all that stuff is underneath there but needs to be taken off completely or relocated.
 I took the carburetor halfway apart (top half) and clean it up all nice. As it turns out, I had not even one washer atop that little washer-clip thing. so I put that big washer back in there, resembled it, tuned it a little (she does respond to 1/4 turns) and went to the hardware store to get the #4 washers. there's a huge difference between not having any washers in there and having that big washer there. still pops and pings when closing the throttle, one or two pops between gears but not all everytime, slightly less of a backfire on shutdown, but noticeably more power/pull. i dont know what kinda petcock this is but it needs no vacuum attchmnt. perhaps i should get a raptor petck.

Resampled_2013-04-29_12-54-12_451.jpg

IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #11 - 04/29/13 at 19:58:55

darn... i dont know how to post all the pics at once.

Resampled_2013-04-29_12-55-20_169.jpg

IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #12 - 04/29/13 at 20:00:06

petcock

Resampled_2013-04-29_15-49-56_266.jpg

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #13 - 04/29/13 at 20:02:39

I have that problem too. I just do one at a time.
I like the checker plate where the seat mounts.

IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #14 - 04/29/13 at 20:02:38

needle

Resampled_2013-04-29_15-07-02_81.jpg

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 06:18:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Just got bike,,me have questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.