Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Petcock replacement... should I or not? (Read 248 times)
TheSavagePJ

Learn as you go...

Schenectady, NY
Petcock replacement... should I or not?
04/26/13 at 19:14:17

Let me preface this post with a huge thank you to the guys who helped out with my little exhaust issue. Thanks! I'll be throwing this site a few bucks over paypal once I get paid, its been a valuable resource and has saved me a lot of cash and frustration.

Took the Savage out today for a very nice, pop-free ride. No issues whatsoever. When I stopped for gas, I realized my inspection was due at the end of this month. Time to see my new-found friends around the corner for an inspection. Passed with no issues, though I was told to keep an eye on my petcock because it felt stiff, and that it was common for these petcocks to seize up entirely.

I know you senior members and others got rid of your stock petcocks long ago, which is understandable. Long ago, my father, in his sagely 4-beers-into-a-six-pack voice told me, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Mainly, don't throw money at a problem you don't have yet, and I still tend to follow this advice with my other two vehicles. I have no problems now, but are any of you guys still using the factory petcock? Its not that I want to be a cheap SOB to put out the modest sum for a raptor, I just want the time spent riding to exceed the time I spend in the garage.

I guess its just a matter of opinion, but if replacing it now will save me a bunch of time and frustration later, I'll go for it.

2004, stock minus dyna exhaust
TheSavagePJ electrospector00   IP Logged
Face

Tubes Rule !!!

SL,UT
Re: Petcock replacement... should I or not?
Reply #1 - 04/26/13 at 19:41:53

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is often a good mantra. But in the case of the petcock, just think of it as preventative maintanence. If you don't want to wrench on it later, replace the petcock now. (or as soon as money allows)

"I have not failed. I've just found 1,000 ways that won't work."
Thomas A. Edison
  IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #2 - 04/26/13 at 19:42:48

Yup PJ, I'm still running mine on my 87. That being said, the stock petcock   is the next thing I'm replacing with a raptor. After an engine swap including swapping the carb, I still have phantom intermitant surging. I am convinced it is the petcock. If your bike runs fine, ride it. But if you have wierd seemingly carb related issues, go with the raptor. Smiley

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #3 - 04/26/13 at 20:05:28

1996....15,000+ miles and original pet-thingy Wink ,but I know it's borrowed time  Roll Eyes so the change is coming soon!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #4 - 04/26/13 at 20:22:01

I'm still running the stock, and no change is coming soon. If it ever does give me trouble, I'll repair it or replace it w/ the same.
I like it for the saftey features that it was designed for.
If I believed it was operating on borrowed time anyless than my motor is, I would change it in a heartbeat.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 04/26/13 at 20:26:53

Routy wrote on 04/26/13 at 20:22:01:
I'm still running the stock, and no change is coming soon. If it ever does give me trouble, I'll repair it or replace it w/ the same.
I like it for the saftey features that it was designed for.
If I believed it was operating on borrowed time anyless than my motor is, I would change it in a heartbeat.

Wink

Which safety feature was that again?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 04/26/13 at 22:16:17

That's that safety feature that prevents fuel from leaking when you're not riding, but allows it to leak when you're on the bike with the engine running, going down the road at 60mph...
... at least until it goes bad... at which time, it leaks furiously all the time, and has no manual shut-off to stop it...

I'd like to personalty thank Suzuki for one...

Personally,.. with a 3 gallon bomb in front of my nuts,... and a sparker just below them... I like a positive manual shut-off...
I'm just a control freak... Huh...

Have I sold you yet?...
...it also makes tank removal easier... Huh...

Basically,... ask any person, that's never had one go bad... and they'll say it's fine...
... ask any person that's ever had one go wacky,.. and they'll curse it's existence...

Do you learn from your mistakes?...
... or do you learn from the mistakes of others?...

I learned my lesson before I got to this site...
I was at a light,... in front,... at an 8 lane intersection, with the engine stumbling and cutting out...
... as it turned green,... I'm crossing, with one hand on the throttle and the other, on the petcock, trying to find a position would give steady fuel... alternately, dragging to a stop, and popping a wheelie,, as the engine died, and fired... with my thighs drenched in fuel...
They don't make underwear for that... Huh...
Ahhhhh,... the good ol' days... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #7 - 04/27/13 at 00:46:07

I swapped for a genuine Yama per the suggested replacement on this forum. The less the odds I will be parked unintentionally by the side of the road the better, in my mind. $27 and change, if I recall correctly to prevent a known issue from sneaking up on me someday. I might have the wife with me or one of the offspring the day the original woud have failed. I am happily capitalizing on the vast knowledge those who came before me learned and accumulated to make my motorcycling experience the best it can be.

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 04/27/13 at 02:55:45

At the very least......order the Raptor and have it ready.  That way instead of your bike sitting and waiting for it to arrive........you will already have it.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
TheSavagePJ

Learn as you go...

Schenectady, NY
Reply #9 - 04/27/13 at 09:31:23

I think I'll be taking Dave's advice and getting the raptor. For that price, it is well worth having the peace of mind. So when (probably not if) I get issues, I'll change that out first before taking my first adventure into carb disassembly. Any warnings you guys can give to a newbie switching from a vacuum to manual petcock?

Another question for you guys, I noticed in my garage that I will have nice, healthy, steady idle, then I'll turn the throttle and once I bring the throttle back, I'll get a slight momentary dip in engine speed before settling back to normal. Now, this is one thing where I will definitely follow the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mantra, though I'm looking to get a better understanding of my bike. Does this happen due to a petcock or carb issue, or is it an air issue?

2004, stock minus dyna exhaust
TheSavagePJ electrospector00   IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #10 - 04/27/13 at 09:49:16

I believe thats a too rich pilot jet when the idle dips then returns to the set speed. Do you have the chock on when this happens.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
scubachef

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 04/27/13 at 09:58:15

I modified my petcock as a fun little project using a nylon screw ground flush. Here is a tutorial.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1113631600

I know there are varied opinion on this but it ha been rock solid for me and was a quick and easy project that cost me a little under $3.00.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #12 - 04/27/13 at 12:12:01

My post was simply a "IMO" reply to the OPs question.
Why is it that I get slam banged and ganged up on by the MODs w/ the same ole stupid questions to a simple post, every time this thread comes up,........and the same questions which I have answered, answers which Mods have deleted and for which I have been repromanded for ?

I have been repromanded and deleted for telling what I believe really goes on in these petcock threads,.....that in Mods sorry excuse for  words "Mite confuse a NB"

Since then, I have stayed out of the mods replies,.....how about the mods staying the hell outta mine !!

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 04/27/13 at 12:46:40

Routy,.. I didn't "Mod" anything...  
I just responded to your assertion that a vacuum petcock was a safety device...
It's anything but safe...
It is a convenience device for people that can't work a petcock... just like an automatic transmission allows people to drive without shifting...

The safety aspect of it,... is only a side effect of it's purpose, and is only valid in a very limited circumstance...
ie... a bike must fall on it's left side, and have the engine die, and leak fuel...
... if the bike falls on the right,... or the engine continues to run,... it does nothing...
... and,.. it is the potential cause of a much worse leak, in which case, you have no manual shut-off to correct it...
Not safe...

Plus... given time,.. it seems to have a near 100% failure rate...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 04/27/13 at 14:19:08

TheSavagePJ wrote on 04/27/13 at 09:31:23:
Any warnings you guys can give to a newbie switching from a vacuum to manual petcock?

Another question for you guys, I noticed in my garage that I will have nice, healthy, steady idle, then I'll turn the throttle and once I bring the throttle back, I'll get a slight momentary dip in engine speed before settling back to normal. Now, this is one thing where I will definitely follow the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mantra, though I'm looking to get a better understanding of my bike. Does this happen due to a petcock or carb issue, or is it an air issue?

When you first get the manual petcock it is hard to remember to turn it off when your ride is over.  I have a trials bike that has a manual petock and I never forget on it.....but it always required that you turn it off.  The Savage I rode for a few months and got used to not turning the petock off.  I finally just started to turn it off as soon as I got to my driveway....and eventually it became part of the routine.

For your idle dip......it could be too rich at the idle fuel/air mix.  It could also be that the slide is sticking open for a bit.  If adjusting your fuel/air screw in a little bit doesn't help....then maybe cleaning the slide would help.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 05:33:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Petcock replacement... should I or not?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.