Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
To Dane Allen, I cant PM yet apparently (Read 68 times)
shovelbum87

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Hampshire
To Dane Allen, I cant PM yet apparently
04/26/13 at 15:40:08

Dane,
What you need to do for your paint is firstly decide if there are dents, rust or any other issues on the bike If yes you have to fix those
Dents-
scuff paint with 80G sand paper
use body filler and smooth out
sand body filler with 80G sand paper
feather edges out with 220G sandpaper
continue until smooth

Rust-
Grind all rusty areas
wire brush
clean with acetone/thinner
use rust treatment (I like either permatex brush on or SEM rustmort) follow directions on rust treatment

after doing all of that

scuff entire paintable area with 220G sand paper
you have to get all the shiney stuff off, in order for the paint to have something to grip to.

get some primer (rattlecan is ok, I like SEM on any bare metal bigger than a quarter use the self etching, on the scuffed paint area use the high build primer

Start with a "dust coat"
just do a really light coat to get some primer on it so that it again has something to stick to
wait for that to tack so that when you touch it your finger sticks slightly but no primer comes off
apply a second coat covering thouroughly the area, you should use the 1/2 pass coverage theory (one pass and then cover that pass half way with your next pass) (similar to mowing a lawn you need to overlap)

allow that coat to tack
apply one more coat

allow to dry thoroughly

If you end up with runs or spots not a big deal, use 400G sand paper (wet) and gently scuff it smooth

after primer is dry (give it a couple days)

gently wet sand with 400g sandpaper

then its time to paint!
If you use rattle can basically same theory as the primer
If you are using as mixed paint through a spray gun, then you need to know if you want Basecoat/clear coat or single stage.
If you need any more help let me know, I cant pm yet because I dont have 10 posts yet, Sorry!

NEVER argue with a woman holding a torque wrench or a spray gun!
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Re: To Dane Allen, I cant PM yet apparently
Reply #1 - 04/26/13 at 15:46:44

Not sure why you'd PM this to somebody. If it's general information that would readily help anyone that reads it, you should be posting it on the forum so others can learn from it as well.

IP Logged
shovelbum87

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Hampshire
Reply #2 - 04/26/13 at 16:04:12

He sent me a pm, asked for the info. I wanted to post it on the forum also but I wanted to make sure he got it

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #3 - 04/27/13 at 01:00:41

shovelbum87 wrote on 04/26/13 at 16:04:12:
He sent me a pm, asked for the info. I wanted to post it on the forum also but I wanted to make sure he got it

The good news is he does this to everybody, so far as I have seen Grin Grin The angry retorts from the other members seems to have had no effect on his attitude.

And I appreciate the info very much. There is a shop nearby that converts the Savage into a Cafe style racer and I thought it would be fun to get the body pieces and do a real nice paint job on the whole set. Maybe a Kandy from House of Kolor airbrush paint, and be able to completely switch the theme of the bike back and forth.

Have you ever used House of Kolor paint?

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
shovelbum87

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Hampshire
Reply #4 - 04/28/13 at 04:24:35

Yes I have used HOK paint, it is very good. I think its over priced though, try looking at the SEM color horizons, Less money same product!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 20:16:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › To Dane Allen, I cant PM yet apparently

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.