WD (Read 138 times)
polarpilot
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Canada
WD
04/25/13 at 18:30:38

I have not posted here for more years than I care to admit.
Imagine my delight today when I made a small donation and then decided I should look around a bit and out of no where WD pops up with a question

I have been tracking and following him since about 1999 I think - I was thrilled to exchange a bit of information with him today

Now I know what I really like about this board - lots of good folks will to share!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: WD
Reply #1 - 04/25/13 at 21:40:18

Was there internet in back then?... Grin...
Dude,.. You've only made 9 posts in all that time...
You've got some catchin' up to do!...
We need more 2 cent's worth around here...
Grin Grin Grin...
 Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #2 - 04/26/13 at 04:27:54

Glad you found your way back PolarPilot, so how does your Savage fair after all that long time?

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
polarpilot
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Canada
Reply #3 - 04/26/13 at 06:00:58

Only nine posts in how many years? I guess that is what happens when I am having fun. Grin Grin Grin

To catch up, I purchased my 1989 Savage in 1999. That year I trailered it to the Sturgis rally and had a blast thumping our way around the kills and dales with the thousands of other riders. I rode two up most of the time at Sturgis.

A couple of years later with the same kind of set up - me in a car and th Savage on a trailer - I call her Ole' Yellar - it was time to head for Daytona Beach. Again a great ride and a great time. That was a long run with about 11,000 kms turning under the wheels by the time |I was home.

Then in 2004 - Undecided disaster. :'( I changed the oil - and made sure everything was in order. The a couple of days later my daughter in the car and me on Ole Yellar headed off for an overnight trip. I had only ridden about 200 kms after the oil change so I did not check the oil levels before pulling out. At the 100 km mark we stopped for gasoline and I could hear the tappets rattling and NO oil was showing in the window.  I found some oil and topped up the engine but the rattling did not stop. Sure enough about 70 kms down the road suddenly there was a bang, the clutch slipped free and a coasted to a stop. A valve had seized, the piston smashed into the valve and the damage was every where.

Oh no - now what to do.

I decided I wanted to continue riding the Savage and with the very few changes to the engine over the years I decided to find an engine on ebay and drop it in.

That exercise took about three years to complete. The only issue was the need to change the alternator stator - or something - the exciter was upgraded and did not work with my old wiring. So pulling it apart install the old parts and away she went.

Over the years I have very slowly added a few bikes to what is now a collection. And with the collection my Savage has kind of slipped back into a quieter location in the garage.

I do have a fly screen windshield - metzler tires, a custom made luggage rack ( Thanks to Peter the Blacksmith) and a )Protach backrest.  

I considerr the Savage to be one of the finest motorcycles I have ridden - and I have now been biking for 53 years.

I have toured with it, cruised with it and ridden it for specific purposes.  And, it has always done exactly what I wanted it to.

The mere fact that it is now approaching 30 years in the Suzuki catalog surely tells us something about the machine.
« Last Edit: 04/26/13 at 07:54:48 by polarpilot »  

savage_012.jpg
  IP Logged
polarpilot
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Canada
Reply #4 - 04/26/13 at 06:11:23

Picture was taken in 2003 - near Asheville NC - bike came off the trailer here and we rode the rest of the way down to Daytona.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 04/26/13 at 07:28:09

Howdy P-P, nice to see you again, alive and kickin still.    Wink

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 04/26/13 at 10:40:13

There are a few (very few) of us still around from the original forum, Bert's old site out of Germany. Which I joined in February or March of 1998.

I still wish somebody had archived that forum for posterity, lot of very good info has been lost forever. I had saved a lot of it to disc, but, all my computers that could run a 3.5" are long since crapped out...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #7 - 04/27/13 at 01:56:13

Even though I am an FSO (current scoot = 2006 Honda VT750DC Spirit), have been a Member of this website since 2003 ... this place is home ... with many, many fine folks contributing ... nice to see some of the Originals still around here!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
polarpilot
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Canada
Reply #8 - 04/27/13 at 03:45:09

WD - if you can remember the url for Bert's sight - it might be archived and you can get to it through

http://archive.org/web/web.php

I cannot remember what it was called - but you are 100% correct - it was a totally useful encyclopedia of information on the Savage

IP Logged
polarpilot
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Canada
Reply #9 - 04/27/13 at 03:57:45

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 04/27/13 at 08:25:19

And of course the most interesting parts don't work anymore...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
polarpilot
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Canada
Reply #11 - 04/27/13 at 09:42:28

try through that archive slight
It has saved my bacon a couple of times on some work I am involved with