Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
My baby ... she speaks to me (Read 169 times)
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
My baby ... she speaks to me
04/24/13 at 08:04:21

So my bike started sounding "funny". The exhaust sounded "wet" and hollow. It would backfire on decel much easier. Torque seemed less, power missing. My baby was talking to me... but what was she saying?

After some more riding ... I parked and let her cool.

The exhaust header bolts were less than finger tight. Scary really. With bolts tightend all is well again. Communication is key.

So blue thread lock ok to use?

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: My baby ... she speaks to me
Reply #1 - 04/24/13 at 08:11:55

Yes, but it won't help for very long... those exhaust studs get pretty hot, and heat will break down standard thread locking compounds.

Self locking all metal nuts or star washers under the stock nuts would be a better choice. Mechanical retention instead of chemical. Nylocks would also be a waste of money, the stud heat would soften the nylon each time the engine is run.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 04/24/13 at 08:40:06

It is good that you listen to what your baby has to say.

Too many people just keep riding or using the equipment when things go wrong....and hope it goes away.  This can be really serious with a chainsaw or other 2 cycle equipment.....as a littl bit of a fuel flow problem can make the engine run lean.....and the enigne can sieze as a result of too little oil/fuel mix.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #3 - 04/24/13 at 08:50:24

WD wrote on 04/24/13 at 08:11:55:
Yes, but it won't help for very long... those exhaust studs get pretty hot, and heat will break down standard thread locking compounds.

Self locking all metal nuts or star washers under the stock nuts would be a better choice. Mechanical retention instead of chemical. Nylocks would also be a waste of money, the stud heat would soften the nylon each time the engine is run.

well thats even easier then...

I know Ford put the stuff on the brakes of my ranger... still had a bolt fall out.

in TN no less

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 04/24/13 at 09:01:12

Snug 'em up, ride it, snug them up in a month or 2,, ehh, no biggeee.. Its while we rub & twist on them we see what needs done.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #5 - 04/24/13 at 10:44:06

Dave wrote on 04/24/13 at 08:40:06:
It is good that you listen to what your baby has to say.

Too many people just keep riding or using the equipment when things go wrong....and hope it goes away.....

Did someone's wife drive with the oil light on at sometime in the past? Grin Grin Grin

On the otherside, my wife hears everything and is convinced the "new noise" of the day is the sound of imminent engine explosion, per the 70s TV show mafia car bomb. I keep telling her cars don't do that but still every little noise or rattle gets reported to yours truely.

20 year old Lexus squeeks a little  Grin Grin

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 04/24/13 at 12:10:15

Pine wrote on 04/24/13 at 08:50:24:
WD wrote on 04/24/13 at 08:11:55:

well thats even easier then...

I know Ford put the stuff on the brakes of my ranger... still had a bolt fall out.

in TN no less

Huh My 94 has 206K on it, and has the little retainer washers on the lug studs still... not sure the brakes have ever been changed. Still stops fine. Truck was sold new in Columbus MS... brother in law bought it used somewhere in North MS or Memphis.

Is your truck having an identity crisis like mine? SAE bolts, metric bolts, all the firewall labels are in Quebecois?

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #7 - 04/24/13 at 13:46:00

Not my wife, she knows better, But an old riding buddy's wife was coming home in a Mustang. Had a radiator hose burst. The heat light came on but she kept driving. When she pulled in the driveway it locked up.

Oh he threw a fit. She said she saw the light but didn't think it would hurt any thing. That was in the 80s. They aren't married now.

But he did bone headed stuff too. One time he built a hot rod Harley and left the throttle return spring off. He was test riding it when he discovered it was missing (guess how he discovered it). It got real interesting before he got it stopped. Grin

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 04/24/13 at 14:27:30

those bolts get anti-sieze and torque up to 20ftlbs

or they'll stick to the head when you don't want them to.

WWW   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #9 - 04/24/13 at 14:46:44

"Not my wife, she knows better, But an old riding buddy's wife was coming home in a Mustang. Had a radiator hose burst. The heat light came on but she kept driving. When she pulled in the driveway it locked up."
My cousin did that with a 5 series BMW. Cost him $6000 to get it fixed- in 1980 dollars. Shocked

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #10 - 04/24/13 at 16:23:19

arteacher wrote on 04/24/13 at 14:46:44:
"Not my wife, she knows better, But an old riding buddy's wife was coming home in a Mustang. Had a radiator hose burst. The heat light came on but she kept driving. When she pulled in the driveway it locked up."
My cousin did that with a 5 series BMW. Cost him $6000 to get it fixed- in 1980 dollars. Shocked

At this point I might be threadjacking but I had a friend who had a Mitsubishi Mirage 2-door convertable that had the v-6 that required 91 octane. He was short on cash before a pay period so he put in 87 thinking it was only one tank and couldn't hurt. It hurt!! Cost over $600 to fix the damage - total savings on gas - 20 cents times 10 gallons.

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 04/24/13 at 18:15:35

Exhaust bolts - only way to keep em from coming loose is to wire tie em ... I know sucks as a solution cos well duh it looks stupid on a cruiser among other things.

There was a GS500 I had that had a propensity to loosen em on 1 side - left if I recall ... One out of 17 GS'es isn't a bad average ... but something in it, maybe the threads were cut just a shade loose ... or it had some sort of softer metal in that spot or what not. It would go loose every couple 1000 miles.

Other things you could try - hex heads - yes those washers WD said ... or lock washers. Or check em often.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #12 - 04/24/13 at 19:08:49

Dane Allen wrote on 04/24/13 at 16:23:19:
arteacher wrote on 04/24/13 at 14:46:44:

At this point I might be threadjacking but I had a friend who had a Mitsubishi Mirage 2-door convertable that had the v-6 that required 91 octane. He was short on cash before a pay period so he put in 87 thinking it was only one tank and couldn't hurt. It hurt!! Cost over $600 to fix the damage - total savings on gas - 20 cents times 10 gallons.

I know a few people with Cadillacs that call for premium and they used 87 octane and over 100,000 miles with know problem.If you don't floor it, it want ping.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #13 - 04/24/13 at 20:37:48

Pine

I put threaded studs in mine (bottomed out in the hole)  and then lock washers with acorn nuts .   Worked great and looks OK too. Smiley

Go stainless steel  Wink

Good luck with it !

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #14 - 04/25/13 at 09:33:38

MMRanch wrote on 04/24/13 at 20:37:48:
Pine

I put threaded studs in mine (bottomed out in the hole)  and then lock washers with acorn nuts .   Worked great and looks OK too. Smiley

Go stainless steel  Wink

Good luck with it !

I actually like this idea... and did it once on my Ford 390 engine .... but it was expensive! I bought an entire box of 3/8th hex studs in black oxide. Then put them everywhere on that block.  Then depending on need used the right nut ( acorn with nylon washer on the valve covers for instance). I still have about 50 of those hex studs.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 12:34:36

General CategoryThe Cafe › My baby ... she speaks to me

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.