Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Head cover not coming off... (Read 113 times)
Sticks16
YaBB Newbies

Tampa, Florida
Head cover not coming off...
04/23/13 at 23:29:08

Okay okay, before any one asks if I've taken off all the appropriate bolts etc etc...yes I have and I've been able to pry up two corners about 1.5-2 mm at most to slip a flathead screwdriver. I've tried prying from every end and it seems to be stuck and wont budge no matter how much I hammer and pry away, (without damaging). The screwdriver and whatever else I've tried are nearly bending trying, and I cannot understand how the sealant, the last person to open her up used, is so dang strong. Baffled to say the least at this point....does anyone have any suggestions because I'm open to anything at this point. I just want to fix the notorious cap leak.

Thanks, -J

J-Bird
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Head cover not coming off...
Reply #1 - 04/24/13 at 04:12:00

You really should not have to pry much....if you got a corner up and it didn't keep going....then something is holding it down.

Here is the link to the page that shows how to do the plug change - look at the bolt photo and make sure you have all of those removed.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1099227295

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Sticks16
YaBB Newbies

Tampa, Florida
Reply #2 - 04/24/13 at 04:56:52

Ive printed the sheet, read numerous threads on this task and had followed the most detailed one thoroughly. I have every bolt accounted for poked into the paper/ cardboard and will try again today to make sense of it.

J-Bird
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 04/24/13 at 07:09:37

how many bolts you got poked into the paper?

WWW   IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #4 - 04/24/13 at 07:41:40

don't forget there are 2 bolts that you access from under the head...front/back...
they are not on that bolt pattern template...I don't think they are anyway...should not require hardly any pressure to pop the head cover off...don't break it!

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 04/24/13 at 08:33:38

Bubba wrote on 04/24/13 at 07:41:40:
don't forget there are 2 bolts that you access from under the head...front/back...
they are not on that bolt pattern template...I don't think they are anyway...should not require hardly any pressure to pop the head cover off...don't break it!

Bubba brings up a good point.....Have you taken off the valve adjustment covers?  Those bolts under the covers are shown as the L25 bolts at the top and bottom of the diagram.

If you are talking about the one under the exhaust pipe and the other one under the intake port.....those hold the head to the cylinder - but not the head cover.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #6 - 04/24/13 at 08:42:21

ya...been awhile but I know those 2 caught me before...you have to remove the valve covers to gain access...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 04/24/13 at 09:29:46

If youre prying, got a corner up & its not poppin off, its still held down by a bolt. Youll wreck it if you keep at it. Find the bolt.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Sticks16
YaBB Newbies

Tampa, Florida
Reply #8 - 04/24/13 at 11:25:01

Whoa! Lots of responses....i figured it out this morning and yes i feel silly Undecided but the head is off and being soaked. Found the culprits hiding under the valve covers....probably shouldnt try working on a machine so late in the night and get some sleep. Thank you everyone.

Im also checking the cam chain which appears to be in great shape. Not really sure about the slack. The right side is completely vertical which i read was good and the left side is well.....heres a picture of the old tensioner which is now off and going to be shipped to verslagen for a verslavy specialty

0418131539.jpg

J-Bird
  IP Logged
Sticks16
YaBB Newbies

Tampa, Florida
Reply #9 - 04/24/13 at 11:37:12

Also found this haggard looking guy hiding inside the cam adjuster....has anyone seen a spring tacked to another like this?!   Shocked scary to me.

Looks like ill need a proper spring as well, Vers

0424131432.jpg

J-Bird
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 07:26:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Head cover not coming off...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.