Gasoline Grades (Read 279 times)
savagerider87

Riding a quality
Japanese machine
since '13

Northern NY
Gasoline Grades
04/23/13 at 16:33:26

What seems to be the preferred grade of gas for the Savage?  I have filled up a total of three times since I registered my bike last week, each time switching grades of gas (regular, super, and mid grade).  is there any preferred gas brand and grade that anyone uses?  I live in the northern part of upstate NY, we have Mobil, Shell, Sunoco And Irving stations. input is appreciated Smiley

1987 650 F Jardine exhaust,custom leather lever covers,and Corbin seat
2014 Star Bolt R-Spec
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Re: Gasoline Grades
Reply #1 - 04/23/13 at 16:43:46

Unless you have put a high compression piston in it just use regular. Anything else is a waste of money, and regular is fresher gas anyway, as it is replaced in the stations underground tanks more often.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #2 - 04/23/13 at 16:58:45

arteacher wrote on 04/23/13 at 16:43:46:
Unless you have put a high compression piston in it just use regular. Anything else is a waste of money, and regular is fresher gas anyway, as it is replaced in the stations underground tanks more often.

This is one of the few times I can completely support something arteacher said.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 04/23/13 at 18:57:38

Ive seen one differing position that made sense to me. Reelthing said on the hottest of days he will run premium, because it goes off slower & he thinks it mite just result in a slightly cooler top end. Otherwise, regular.
I think it would be interesting to run a few bikes down the road together
& see how they compare with all on regular, then swap some to premium & run some more miles & see if theres any difference.
Me? Ima run Ray Guller..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
savagerider87

Riding a quality
Japanese machine
since '13

Northern NY
Reply #4 - 04/23/13 at 19:15:07

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/23/13 at 18:57:38:
Ive seen one differing position that made sense to me. Reelthing said on the hottest of days he will run premium, because it goes off slower & he thinks it mite just result in a slightly cooler top end. Otherwise, regular.
I think it would be interesting to run a few bikes down the road together
& see how they compare with all on regular, then swap some to premium & run some more miles & see if theres any difference.
Me? Ima run Ray Guller..

that would be both pretty interesting and really cool.  The only thing is that there aren't many savages around my neck of the woods.... the closest is v pilot who is about 150-160 miles away from where I live....

1987 650 F Jardine exhaust,custom leather lever covers,and Corbin seat
2014 Star Bolt R-Spec
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #5 - 04/23/13 at 19:43:07

That's not a "position" that's an opinion and it's wrong. If that guy is having problems on hot days it's because he's got his bike tuned wrong.

I love how people with engines that barely rev to 5,000 rpm think a slower or faster burning fuel is going to make some sort of difference. F1 engines spin at 20,000 rpm. Your measly 5,000 rpm could be burning wax and it wouldn't make a difference. Octane is resistance to detonation and that's it.

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #6 - 04/23/13 at 19:43:34

Every time I have tried 91 octane or higher, my S40 pings and runs like crap. I stick with plain old 87 octane and she runs fine.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
45acp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

on a shooting range in OK.
Reply #7 - 04/23/13 at 19:49:14

i like shell gas stations. i dont know about ny, but here in ok they dont use ethanol in their gas. at least they say they dont Smiley

shoot fast. reload faster.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 04/23/13 at 20:46:23

Cavi Mike wrote on 04/23/13 at 19:43:07:

That's not a "position" that's an opinion and it's wrong. If that guy is having problems on hot days it's because he's got his bike tuned wrong.

I love how people with engines that barely rev to 5,000 rpm think a slower or faster burning fuel is going to make some sort of difference. F1 engines spin at 20,000 rpm. Your measly 5,000 rpm could be burning wax and it wouldn't make a difference. Octane is resistance to detonation and that's it.

Hey,, your attitude is crappy,, take your all knowingness & stuff it where the sun dont shine, I just said what HE said, dont get all snotty with me,.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 04/24/13 at 03:50:12

The Savage is low rpm, low compression, low hp........it is made to run on regular.  Using a higher octane fuel will have no benefit.  Higher Octane fuel does not burn cooler, it does not burn slower, it does not make more HP in a Savage......higher Octane fuels are more resistant to detonation when compression raties are increased.  To realize the benefits of higher octane you need to increase compression ratios, and maybe change the timing.  Engines that use higher Octane fuels are more aggressive in the engine design to take advantage of the extra power that higher compression ratios can deliver.

Running a higher octane in a Savage is not going to hurt anything but your wallet.......but it is not going to make your engine run any stronger if the compression ratio has not been increased.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #10 - 04/24/13 at 06:15:06

Gyrobob wrote on 04/23/13 at 16:58:45:

I'm flattered. What were the other times? Wink

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #11 - 04/24/13 at 06:40:19

Quote:
Every time I have tried 91 octane or higher, my S40 pings
----------------------------------------------------------------

Huh, ???
If its pinging on 91, its stretching the headbolts on 87 !!!

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #12 - 04/24/13 at 07:41:28

Alcohol free regular if the station happens to have it, plain old 87 octane from whoever carries it the cheapest if I'm not near a station that carries pure instead of blended fuel.

Mine always ran best on: Dixie brand alcohol free in Mississippi, Chevron the first time I lived in TN (only gas station on my commute at the time), Arco in WA unless I could get my hands on alcohol free (scarce). Now that I'm in TN again, I use the alcohol free from the farm co-op, swipe it from the cans for our small engined equipment/implements. Bike hasn't been road licensed since 10/2011.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #13 - 04/24/13 at 07:46:02

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #14 - 04/24/13 at 15:24:59

arteacher wrote on 04/24/13 at 06:15:06:
Gyrobob wrote on 04/23/13 at 16:58:45:

I'm flattered. What were the other times? Wink

You said something nasty about bill.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 07:29:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gasoline Grades

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.