Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
clutch not fully disengaging (Read 176 times)
OdysseusNY
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

clutch not fully disengaging
04/23/13 at 13:49:06

Hello all,

Over the past few days I noticed increasing trouble with my clutch. What I first noticed was that there was more resistance if I pulled in the clutch lever and tried to roll the bike with the engine off in 1st gear. I also might have noticed less smooth shifting, but couldn't tell if I was just being paranoid.

Today though the problem seemed much worse when I went to roll my bike while in 1st with engine off. It is not as stiff as when the clutch handle is released, but it is very very stiff. I decided to try to adjust the clutch cable at the hand grip. I tried various positions, including both all the way in and all the way out, but no improvement. I can see the lever at the clutch itself move freely as a I pull the lever, and there is not extra or less resistance in the lever itself. If I start the motorcycle while in neutral and try to shift to first, the engine stalls. I can't even start it at all (doesn't turn over) if I try to start while in first with clutch handle pulled in. I interpret this as meaning the clutch is never fully disengaging enough for the detection switch.

Thoughts? I am hoping it is simply a worn cable, but fear it is worse because I can see the lever moving on the outside of the clutch. I don't have a garage to work in and am not much of a mechanic, so I probably will have to get a pro to look at it - but would like to go in with some knowledge if possible. Thanks!

Dave

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: clutch not fully disengaging
Reply #1 - 04/23/13 at 13:55:43

Sounds like a cable thats about to break,,
How far can you move the lever before you are pulkling the clutch?
Watch the lever on the engine & pull the lever,, playing in synch?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #2 - 04/23/13 at 14:08:51

Unless you bike has a lot of miles or left out in the weather,Your probability just paranoid,Why do you roll your bike when its in gear even with the  clutch pulled.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
OdysseusNY
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/23/13 at 14:08:55

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/23/13 at 13:55:43:
Sounds like a cable thats about to break,,
How far can you move the lever before you are pulkling the clutch?
Watch the lever on the engine & pull the lever,, playing in synch?

Thank you very much for your advice.

There is actually very little play unless I turn the adjuster all the way loose. Unless I make the adjuster very loose the lever on the engine starts to move almost immediately as soon as I begin to pull the handle. I did not notice any slack or delay while releasing the handle and the movement of the lever. The displacement of the tip of the lever is between .5 and 1 inch for a full handle pull (hard to measure exactly).

bill67 wrote on 04/23/13 at 14:08:51:
Unless you bike has a lot of miles or left out in the weather,Your probability just paranoid,Why do you roll your bike when its in gear even with the  clutch pulled.

I appreciate this advice but certainly the engine stalling while shifting from neutral to first with the clutch handle fully pulled is not paranoia.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 04/23/13 at 14:12:39

Well,, those clutches drag some, so, youre Gonna feel it, trying to move it in gear. If it shifts okay & if it coasts down, say, you run up to 30ish in 2nd & dont shift, just haul in on the clutch & let it fall to idle, if it feels like its coasting & not being pulled down by the engine, its prolly okay.,
Adjust it so you can move the lever a bit with no effort, before the cabvle pulls tite.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
OdysseusNY
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/23/13 at 14:15:11

I am sorry if my post was too long but let me stress that now it is not shifting correctly, in fact stalls going from neutral to first even with the handle pulled all the way. This occurs no matter how I adjust the cable.

IP Logged
savagerider87

Riding a quality
Japanese machine
since '13

Northern NY
Reply #6 - 04/23/13 at 16:54:39

Have you tried lubing the cable? Try adjusting the clutch at the case, if that doesn't work, its time to check the clutch plates for correct installation

1987 650 F Jardine exhaust,custom leather lever covers,and Corbin seat
2014 Star Bolt R-Spec
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 04/23/13 at 17:13:47

It sounds like the clutch cut-out switch is flaky...
Try unplugging and replugging it a couple of times... (might be a dirty contact)... 2-wire connector,.. going in to the left handlebar switches...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 04/23/13 at 17:35:17

Serowbot,

I don't think he is talking electrical stalling, he was originally speaking of mechanical clutch drag issues.

OdysseusNY, please tell us how old the bike is, how many miles, what oil you have been using, and DID THE BIKE WORK CORRECTLY IN THE RECENT PAST?

Next, your clutch cannot be judged at all unless the engine is running. Pressurized oil flows through the center clutch bearing and exits out through the plates, so unless the engine is running and the bike is moving at slow parking lot speed you are wasting your time trying to adjust it.

There is a free zone with the clutch lever let out all the way and the lever moves in some before the clutch starts to disengage.

There is a free zone with the clutch lever pulled in all the way and the lever moves some before the clutch starts to engage.

The properly adjusted clutch has about the same free zone in both directions.   My particular bike is 20% free --engage/disengage -- 20% free.

And like I said, the engine has to be running and the bike must be moving to properly judge these engagement zones.   Trying to do this stuff with the engine off standing still is very frustrating and mostly futile.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 04/23/13 at 18:21:07

Quote:
If I start the motorcycle while in neutral and try to shift to first, the engine stalls. I can't even start it at all (doesn't turn over) if I try to start while in first with clutch handle pulled in. I interpret this as meaning the clutch is never fully disengaging enough for the detection switch.

Check the switch... Huh...
If it were the clutch itself,... the switch would allow the starter to turn over, and the bike would chug forward...
I'm guessing he's boogered the adjustment trying to fix it,... so, that's why it feels funny,... but, the switch is the cause...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 04/23/13 at 18:26:23

& Hows that idl;e speed?

IP Logged
OdysseusNY
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 04/24/13 at 07:46:10

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 04/23/13 at 17:35:17:

Serowbot,

I don't think he is talking electrical stalling, he was originally speaking of mechanical clutch drag issues.

OdysseusNY, please tell us how old the bike is, how many miles, what oil you have been using, and DID THE BIKE WORK CORRECTLY IN THE RECENT PAST?

Hello, thanks for the info. Yes, the bike stalls while shifting due to the fact the clutch is not fully disengaged - not due to an electrical issue. I probably could get it into gear if I gave some throttle while shifting but seems pointless. The bike is street parked in Manhattan so unfortunately I can't really do the low speed tests.

I took a 40 mile drive or so on Saturday, which I when I first noticed a little resistance (but not nearly as bad as today) and I had taken a 5-10 mile trip earlier in the week where everything seemed fine. Before that, bike was in winter storage where the shop changed the oil, but I'm not sure of the type. I've had it for 2 years, it's a 2007 with about 3100 miles.

As far as the other suggestions in the thread:

Lube is a good suggestion, thanks. I had trouble adjusting at the case but can try again.

Idle speed seems normal and engine starts and runs strongly as long as it's in neutral.

I didn't create the problem by making the adjustment, as the resistance was there before the adjustment. I also noted the position before adjustment and tried returning the cable to original position.

I do not think the engine is cutting off due to switch. The bike pulls forward a bit before stalling. If the clutch were fully disengaged (as it should be with handle fully pulled) there would be no power transferred from engine to wheels. It also would not explain the increased resistance while rolling (significant resistance, like pushing up a steep hill).

IP Logged
savagerider87

Riding a quality
Japanese machine
since '13

Northern NY
Reply #12 - 04/24/13 at 08:38:09

OdysseusNY wrote on 04/24/13 at 07:46:10:
Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 04/23/13 at 17:35:17:

Serowbot,

Hello, thanks for the info. Yes, the bike stalls while shifting due to the fact the clutch is not fully disengaged - not due to an electrical issue. I probably could get it into gear if I gave some throttle while shifting but seems pointless. The bike is street parked in Manhattan so unfortunately I can't really do the low speed tests.

I took a 40 mile drive or so on Saturday, which I when I first noticed a little resistance (but not nearly as bad as today) and I had taken a 5-10 mile trip earlier in the week where everything seemed fine. Before that, bike was in winter storage where the shop changed the oil, but I'm not sure of the type. I've had it for 2 years, it's a 2007 with about 3100 miles.

As far as the other suggestions in the thread:

Lube is a good suggestion, thanks. I had trouble adjusting at the case but can try again.

Idle speed seems normal and engine starts and runs strongly as long as it's in neutral.

I didn't create the problem by making the adjustment, as the resistance was there before the adjustment. I also noted the position before adjustment and tried returning the cable to original position.

I do not think the engine is cutting off due to switch. The bike pulls forward a bit before stalling. If the clutch were fully disengaged (as it should be with handle fully pulled) there would be no power transferred from engine to wheels. It also would not explain the increased resistance while rolling (significant resistance, like pushing up a steep hill).

I just thought of this... and it might be the problem, I had this happen to my bike after storing it for 5 years..... the clutch sounds like it is stuck together from sitting.   try taking the clutch cover off and see if the plates are stuck together.  my bike did the same thing.  good luck and keep us posted. Wink

1987 650 F Jardine exhaust,custom leather lever covers,and Corbin seat
2014 Star Bolt R-Spec
  IP Logged
OdysseusNY
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 06/15/13 at 11:12:38

followup for future searchers

turned out to be a bent rod, the rod that connects the shifter pedal to the rest of the gearshift mechanism. it was keeping the bike partially in gear

which was good news, my clutch was fine, just one hour labor to fix. i lucked out

thanks all for the advice

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 19:16:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › clutch not fully disengaging

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.