Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Got helmet?...
04/23/13 at 00:59:26

Cycle Gear has BiLT FF helmets on sale, starting at $49.99 for the plain Jane FF... $59.99 for fancy colors... and even a modular FF for $69.99...

If you've been thinkin' about switching to a FF... or if yer' old one is getting nasty... that's quite a deal...

...an FF saved my face 3 years ago...  
I'd consider running over mine, just to get a shiny new one,... but, mine's crash tested... and we have bonded emotionally...
Plus,... it would probably kill my car...
Huh...

Anyway,.. no excuse for not having full melon protection...
Remember,.. your brain is your second most important organ...
Even if you've never been able to adjust to an FF....
Here's one, cheap enough to play with...
There are advantages and disadvantages to full coverage helmets... but, those only matter pre-accident ... Huh...

Be safe,
Serow

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: Got helmet?...
Reply #1 - 04/23/13 at 03:03:29

Serowbot, I sure hope you ain't still using the helmet that you had your accident in. If so you're playing with fire.

It has been well established that after a wreck you should replace the helmet. Once it has hit the deck with that kind of force though it doesn't look like it it no longer has it's crash integrity.

I would replace it asap.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #2 - 04/23/13 at 03:29:32

I know this rider who gossips a lot.....are the TF models on sale too?  Roll Eyes

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #3 - 04/23/13 at 04:38:09

Serow if your helmet took a good enough hit that it actually saved your life REPLACE IT!

The foam part of the helmet is made for one-time use unless it is made with EPP foam (even if it was made with EPP foam you are still rolling the dice) after crushing the foam once it is no longer as protective as it was, even if the shell looks to be intact. The thin shell is made to flex and keep everything in it's place as well as act as exterior armor, the foam inside which is the impact absorber could be completely compacted or cracked loosing it's functionality without you knowing at all.  If the foam is compacted and you take an impact in the same area it will not protect you properly, if it is cracked it will just break apart upon the next impact giving little or no protection.

Some manufacturers will take the helmet back and inspect it for you, if found defective due to the crash some will even give you a credit or sell you a replacement at a reduced profit.

Always replace a crashed helmet if you value it's protection

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 04/23/13 at 08:45:04

Naa,.. total body hit to the left side, then skidded  on hands and knees... the helmet just skidded along the pavement face first...no impact, just abrasion.. ruined the face-shield entirely.... no structural damage or foam compression... Still,.. glad it wasn't my face...

Biga bada boom Huh...

IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #5 - 04/23/13 at 09:12:08

Yeah, I believe the you gotta replace the helmet after the slightest bump is from the people who SELL helmets. Thats pretty much self serving.

I got a helmet out in the garage thats 43 years old. Its never been in a crash but I don't wear it. I keep it just because. Smiley

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 04/23/13 at 09:21:09

I've got a cork lined one in the attic. Snell 1968 approved 1/2 helmet. Conversation piece at best, some kind of uncomfortable to wear. My 87 year old father in law has a Bell helmet from the early 70s, he still uses it if he insists on going for a ride. As a passenger, since I keep refusing to fix the CL100 for him, he ruined it with a CB spec low mount pipe and a windshield, plus a big dork mobile crash bar...

Mandatory full face helmets is why I don't vintage race. I have a period correct TT type bike, that would be really easy to put back on the track, but not going to bother. Can't stand full face helmets.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #7 - 04/23/13 at 13:45:39

Dang, they ran over your Sportster. Now that ain't right. Sad

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #8 - 04/24/13 at 07:59:30

Thanks..

The web site is flakey on my PC.. not sure whats up with that. Stack overflow errors.

IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #9 - 04/26/13 at 11:55:32

I personally would not ride without a full face, experience has taught me that.

I actually just started another thread were i mentioned my new helmet, but I'll bring it up here again. I "used" the HJC above on 2 separate occasions, the last of which broke the visor hardware. I've been using a 20 year old undersized shoei for a while but finally decided to get a real replacement. I got a KBC for $44 plus shipping (free shipping over $89) everyone seems to recommend getting a size larger b/c they are a bit snug, but it seems to be a great helmet so far!
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/67/905/38243/ITEM/KBC-VR-Helmet.aspx

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 04/26/13 at 15:12:34

I'll suffer the indignity of a 3/4 when it is bitter cold out. If I NEED a full face helmet, I'll take the truck.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
shovelbum87

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Hampshire
Reply #11 - 05/11/13 at 11:23:45

I struggle to understand how people dont take their helmets seriously. Maybe its just because they have not been touched by a brain injury but seriously guys! Put on a helmet, it could save your family from having to spoon feed you for the rest of your life. I know I sound reduculous but I will get off my soap box now and will only say one more thing...
Got a $5 head, get a $5 helmet.

Its not you its them! four wheelers are blind!

NEVER argue with a woman holding a torque wrench or a spray gun!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 05/11/13 at 12:58:29

shovelbum87 wrote on 05/11/13 at 11:23:45:
Got a $5 head, get a $5 helmet.

Ya hear that JOG... we're way over-spending... Grin...

IP Logged
shovelbum87

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Hampshire
Reply #13 - 05/11/13 at 18:39:26

Serowbot; you have already saved me at least $5 I will let you have a $10 one just cause Im feeling nice today!

NEVER argue with a woman holding a torque wrench or a spray gun!
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #14 - 05/11/13 at 21:19:57

Regardless of emotional bonding, you really must replace your helmet. You can mount the old one on a gold plated plinth and the helmet will love you for treating it like an old soldier who hasn't died and isn't fading away.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 08:32:06

General CategoryThe Cafe › Got helmet?...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.