Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
dumped and hates me for it; won't start (Read 147 times)
czwij
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

dumped and hates me for it; won't start
04/22/13 at 23:37:05

Howdy Y’all,
I’ve been reading on this site for about three years and for about two and a half have owned a Sav. It was this site that made my decision for a return into street bikes, after a 20 year hiatus (that and a single lung and belt drive). Thanks to you all for the most comprehensive how to site I have ever seen on the net.
My problem; one fine sunny day I welded the exhaust nut under the bike where the exhaust mount to the frame broke off. Battery cables unfastened and Co2 welded the nut.
Started and rolled out fine, did some errands and drove home. No problems. Ran like a champ, as always.
Then went to go to work the next day, pulled the bike out onto the driveway, kicked out the kickstand and went to close the gate. The bike fell over as the bike was at a downward angle on the drive and the stand folded.
It wasn’t running when this happened. So after a few “oh shits…” and what nots and self loathing for being an idiot, I tried to turn her over. Nothing. Pulled it in and began by removing the clutch safety switch. Then the starter worked so I fiddled with it and fixed it so the starter worked. Had to go to work so I drove the car. Two days of rain later I tried to start the bike again. Turns over just fine, but not even a fart. Jumped the bike using a car battery (as the battery is older, but did start the thing a few days before…) still just turns over and doesn’t run.  Pulled out the plug wire and put on an old plug. It sparked but not bright. A bit faint, but sparking. Plug was new last season. Side stand switch is long gone as I can start the bike with stand up or down. Petcock tried in all positions; now before I tear into removing the tank, which is altered and a pain to take off…..
Any ideas? This is bugging me so much that I am losing sleep over this.  
Of all things that don’t work in life, why does it have to be my motorcycle, dammit?

smaller_format.jpg
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: dumped and hates me for it; won't start
Reply #1 - 04/23/13 at 00:17:23

Firstly,.. 3 years and we hardly hear anything from you?...
I'm hurt... :'(...
Grin Grin Grin...
Secondly,... you sound like you know yer' stuff...
The first booga' seems to have been the clutch cut-out...
(double, triple, check it out... because things rarely happen simultaneously)....
...if that's ruled out,... check the battery water if you have a wet cell...  check the fuses, in case you shorted something with the clutch bypass... check the sidestand cut-out where you bypassed it, (it could have jostled loose)...
You know,... it's likely something simple... likely electrical...
My best guess,.. is the fall jostled the battery enough to cause either water loss, or a short in a cell... or loosen a connection...
A weak battery, will turn the engine, but not drive the spark...
Do some more tests... let us know the results...
I'll bet you have it fixed by next post...

Now,.. don't be a stranger...
Once this is fixed... you can add your advice to assist others here in need...
Wink...

« Last Edit: 10/18/14 at 09:36:50 by Serowbot »  

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #2 - 04/23/13 at 04:02:57

Welcome Czwij!   Smiley

+1 to Serow it's probably something fairly simple with the electric due to the fall  Sad

Dude I dig the exhaust!!!!   Cheesy

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 04/23/13 at 10:46:40

You got lites? Horn? Signals work?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
czwij
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/23/13 at 11:08:40

Hi again.
If you have a lame trophy for rubber side down, then i am a contender.
so i took it all apart; tank off, which is really difficult due to modifications, its widened by 3 inches, but the petcock gets in the way during removal. need that raptor... and i checked the fuses, connections etc. so i got to the plug and it.....WAS FINGER TIGHT. so, i took it out, cleaned it, put it in and started it w/o tank and seat. started in seconds. this was the nuttiest thing i ever did see. maybe a sign that i shouldn't have ridden that day. i am very superstitious with regards to motobikes. seen too much death on these things.
but, the battery was low so i topped it up. wasn't a total waste of time. thanks all for your help. you are the best and i mean that.

the exhaust is from slovakia. its called "Buyak" which means bull i think. it is reaaaallllllly loud. i love it.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #5 - 04/23/13 at 16:27:02

How did you do that front fender? That is exactly what I'me looking for!
Also- did you make the crash bar?

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 04/23/13 at 18:59:50

Whats supporting that exhaust back there?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
45acp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

on a shooting range in OK.
Reply #7 - 04/23/13 at 19:59:10

man, that front fender and those forward controls are awsome. im jealous Wink

shoot fast. reload faster.
  IP Logged
czwij
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/24/13 at 10:51:28

fender - its a stock fender with a piece of 1948 jawa250 fender welded to it. (very cool czech two stroke)
forward controls - that means footpegs? if so, local shop makes/imports em
crash bar - on bike when i got it. the bike was bought originally in germany. it saved the bike during the dump.
exhaust support- original pipe thingy and bailing wire on the pssgr footpeg. looks sloppy up close, but works. did i mention the exhaust is REALLY LOUD? i bears (bares?) repeating

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 07:22:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › dumped and hates me for it; won't start

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.