Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
head and taillight not working, brakinglight works (Read 126 times)
RobSchneider

what?

head and taillight not working, brakinglight works
04/22/13 at 16:08:34

I rebuild my bike after a few bodymods, and decided to take the controlunit for low-beam/high beam/blinkers and horn off, because I dont have blinkers or a horn.
So I took off the unit and wires, and used the yellow-white and Black-white cables as + and - for my new headlight (which is an H3 bulb).

Not sure if the above is the problem, but as mentioned in the subject; But when I put the key in the ignition and switch to on, there is no light on the front and none on the back. The brakelight works though.

Anyone?

Follow me on twitter @BikerChicken
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: head and taillight not working, brakinglight w
Reply #1 - 04/22/13 at 18:31:23

You start doing one-of-a-kind Mods,.. you're kinda' on yer' own figuring out what you did wrong...
You're the only one that knows what you did...
You're just gonna' have to back up, and see where it went wrong...

Sorry,.. we just ain't that clever... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #2 - 04/22/13 at 18:36:28

As the old country boy said, you ain't gitten no far to it, you got to figure out why. Smiley

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #3 - 04/22/13 at 19:17:58

Check that yellow wire you ran to your headlite and make sure its live. Might not be connected to anything since you took the dimmer switch out. Tail light gets fed from the ignition(key) switch so it should still work unless that filament in the bulb is broken.

IP Logged
RobSchneider

what?

Reply #4 - 04/22/13 at 22:41:54

Thanks for the replies guys, I know that I should have known better than to just cut some wires...

For the record: I didn't do anything weird, the only mod on the electrical system is the removal of the dimmerswitch. I was hoping that someone would say that there are some wires that need to be connected and problem solved...

Well thanks for the next posts in advance!

I'll keep you posted, fon't hesitate to put your tips and trics here!

IP Logged
RobSchneider

what?

Reply #5 - 04/23/13 at 06:01:54

btw, there were two yellow cables from the plug of the dimmerswitch. One thin and one thicker. I used the thicker, maybe I'd to use the thin one as well?

PS I only use the H3 bulb, so no low and highbeam, but just one beam.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #6 - 04/23/13 at 07:28:11

I don't know what you cut, or what year your bike is so I can't be more specific, but all you really need to do is find a wire someplace that has 12V at it when you turn the key on. Run that to one side of the headlight filament and connect the other side of the filament to ground. The light will be on whenever the key is.

IP Logged
RobSchneider

what?

Reply #7 - 04/23/13 at 08:01:21

oldNslow wrote on 04/23/13 at 07:28:11:
I don't know what you cut, or what year your bike is so I can't be more specific, but all you really need to do is find a wire someplace that has 12V at it when you turn the key on. Run that to one side of the headlight filament and connect the other side of the filament to ground. The light will be on whenever the key is.

Thanks for your reply, I was aware of that, but wanted to understand what I did wrong...
My bike is an Suzuki Savage 1987, and I only did cut the wiring from the dimmerswitch on the left side of the handlebar.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 04/23/13 at 10:18:42

Do you have a wiring diagram handy?  The white wire is the low beam and the yellow wire is the hgh beam......but only after the switch.  There is a wire leading up to the switch that brings the power up to the switch....and the Savage usually uses orange for power.  The thick yellow wire would power the headlight, and the thin yellow wire probably goes to the high beam indicator light.

Sounds to me like you need to get some power to the yellow or white wire.......they don't have any power if you removed the switch and did not connect them to something.

Also....Suzuki uses a color scheme on the Savage for wiring that makes some sense....although I don't have it all figured out.  Solid orange is power, if it is orange with a white tracer.....that means it goes though a switch and may not always have power unless the switch is in the correct position.  The yellow headlight wire with a white stripe means that it probably went through a switch.  The same for black wires......black with a white stripe means it is a ground that goes through a switch somewhere....it could be that on some of the later year bikes the headlight ground may be run through the starter switch - so the headlight goes out whe the starter is running......I don't have a wiring diagram here to confirm or deny that.

Not sure how the tail light is tied in.....I am at work and don't have a wiring diagram here.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 04/23/13 at 11:00:08

OK....Found the wiring diagram in the tech section.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1294779818

If you disconnected the harness and started jumping wires at the connector still on the frame.....this is what the wires do:

yellow wire is the headlight high beam
white wire is the headlight low beam
the black wire with the white stripe aqppears to be a ground that is run through the safety switch system (clutch, sidestand, kill switch, neutral)

It appears to me you should connect the large yellow wire to the orange wire to get power to the headlight, then connect the black whire with the white tracer to the headlight ground....the wiring diagram does not show that wire coming back throug the connector at the frame - so it may have gone from the handlebar control and then over to the headlight.

The wiring diagram indicates that a brown wire takes power from the switch back to the tail light and license plate light, and a black wire with a white tracer grounds it......and this ground is once again run through the saftey switch circuit.  If neither of these is working.....it could be your safety switch circuit is not functioning.  You should check and see if you are getting electricity to the tail light.....then check to see if you are getting a ground there as well.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
czwij
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 04/23/13 at 11:12:07

check your connectors. same thing happened to me and the connector to the brake light was loose. pushed it in and bingo! laser vision.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #11 - 04/23/13 at 11:43:26

You should start by getting a multi-meter or at the very least a test light.

IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #12 - 04/23/13 at 12:14:31

Cavi Mike wrote on 04/23/13 at 11:43:26:
You should start by getting a multi-meter or at the very least a test light.

+1....Without a multimeter your working in the dark. Just curious, where are you located that no blinkers, horn, or low beam is street legal?

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #13 - 04/23/13 at 13:12:18

I don't know where he is at but turn signals are not required in Tennessee.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #14 - 04/23/13 at 13:21:58

apache snow-FSO wrote on 04/23/13 at 13:12:18:
I don't know where he is at but turn signals are not required in Tennessee.

Crazy! Up here in Maine they are very strict Angry

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 07:29:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › head and taillight not working, brakinglight works

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.