Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Clutch gasket questions (Read 137 times)
sesamestreet

Mississauga
Clutch gasket questions
04/21/13 at 19:12:29

Hey guys, so i have a few questions regarding the clutch gasket. having opened it up to check on the tensioner, i replaced it.

I don't really remember how the gasket that was in looked like. the new one fits along the outer edge just fine, but it has an extra section where inside the engine would just be open space, with a couple of big holes cut out of it.. was i supposed to cut that part out? i didn't.

Also, after replacing it and riding it a few times, i notice small sections on the bottom of the engine are being covered by a thin layer of oil. i wipe it, and it doesn't look to be getting worse, so is it just oil residue from removing clutch and filter covers?

IP Logged
sesamestreet

Mississauga
Re: Clutch gasket questions
Reply #1 - 04/21/13 at 19:18:52

also i thought i should mention that when tightening the clutch cover bolts, i torqued them to the appropriate setting, and did an extra click just because i'm sketched out about things getting loose. so i overtightened them all evenly i'd say, but is that bad?

IP Logged
45acp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

on a shooting range in OK.
Reply #2 - 04/21/13 at 19:30:27

i just did the same mod recently. after about 100 miles i started having some oil seaping out. tried a few bolts and they were a little loose. pulled the exhaust off again and retorqued them. now no leaks.
i dont know about the  holes in thegasket though.

shoot fast. reload faster.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 04/21/13 at 21:38:20

PAY ATTENTION PLEASE .... your engine is at risk.

You are talking about "cutting out" a section of your gasket up at the top of the cases.   This is DEATH ....

There is a hollow long thin oil gallery up at the top of the cases that transfers the main oil pressure from the front half of the engine to the middle of the engine (where it goes up into the head to take care of the cam bearings) and to the rear half of the engine where it goes into the transmission shafts and the clutch throw out bearing).  

That skinny assed long oil gallery (that you didn't think needed to be there gasket-wise) is the most critical gasket maintained gallery in the entire engine.

Cutting anything away from your gasket in this area means you do not supply pressurized oil to these two critical oil pathways.   Ditto for not correctly positioning the lower lip of this skinny assed long gasket section on the lower lip of the cast in place gallery.

Park your bike until your new gasket gets in and you can properly replace it if you did any cutting on this gasket area at all (or if you didn't put it in place correctly because you didn't understand it was important).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
sesamestreet

Mississauga
Reply #4 - 04/22/13 at 05:04:05

Hey I actually didn't cut it out thank god. And I just saw a thread where you can make your own paper gasket and the photos from that thread answered my question, that piece with the holes in it is supposed to be there :p

Now my question is more about the tiny leak. Is that just from residue? Or do I have to tighten the bolts more now that they had a couple of short trips for everything to set in? OR do I have to untighten them and tighten them bak up to spec ONLY without the extra quarter turn?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 04/22/13 at 08:18:40

Correct maximum torque is 100 inch pounds.  Minimum torque starts at 80 inch pounds.  (6 to 8 foot pounds).   Exceeding these numbers can crush the gasket material and warp the cases, cause the leak you are talking about.   If so, tightening more isn't going to fix it (but it can permanently warp your cover half and it will stretch out your bolts until they break so don't overtorque those little skinny bolts).

More and more of us are forgoing the $22 factory gasket and just using a good grade of RTV of a color that matches our cases.  Apply it thinly to both sides and let it cure for 10-15 minutes before tightening just enough to make it just start to ooze out of the gap, then stop and let it cure in place completely for a day before going on up to 60-80 inch pounds.  

Stop torquing if you see the mass of cured RTV in the gap crushing and oozing out of the gap -- you don't want that.   Crushing an RTV gap seal can make a long string of loose RTV floating around inside the oil gallery, which winds up packed tight inside an upper oil passage (bad news)

RTV alone isn't nearly as strong as a gasket, but it doesn't have to be as it is low strength "adhesive" that has already bonded to both sides of the gap.  It really requires very little additional tightening to work best.   Caution, your case surfaces must be really clean (brake parts cleaner clean) for the RTV to make a max strong bond.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 04/22/13 at 08:28:16

I was wondering myself why an old style gasket instead of Permatex Gray RTV (aka Yamabond, Titebond, etc). Even Lisa's 1985 Toyota Celica GT-S with a 22re used gray gunk instead of a paper, felt or cork gasket, stock...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
sesamestreet

Mississauga
Reply #7 - 04/22/13 at 17:27:11

Oh looks like I didn't tighten them enough. I thought that torque spec chart said 4-5N-m but 100lbft is more like 135  Shocked did I read that chart correctly??

IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #8 - 04/22/13 at 17:31:59

Thats 100 INCH lbs. Divide that by 12 to get foot lbs.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 04/22/13 at 17:35:07

ITEM                 N-m      |      ft-lb
Crankcase
bolts (6mm)      9.0      13.0      |      6.6      9.6
Clutch
cover bolts      8.8      13.0      |      6.5      9.6

is it that hard to look them up?

Torque specs List

found in the link below

WWW   IP Logged
sesamestreet

Mississauga
Reply #10 - 04/22/13 at 18:34:12

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #11 - 04/23/13 at 11:41:10

100ft/lbs is what car lug nuts get tightened down to. If you think those little bolts can handle that amount of torque, you might need to put the tools down.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 07:23:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch gasket questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.