Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Cast Wheel Conversion with Pics (Read 1990 times)
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Re:  Cast Wheel Conversion with Pics
Reply #30 - 06/20/19 at 13:52:10

I'm glad to hear that since I ordered all LS650 parts for both sides. The cast wheels are giong in for powdering Saturday if I can get the bearings out in time.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #31 - 07/24/19 at 11:16:35

I started following this series of mods thinking that the object was getting 'tubeless tires'.  Am I mistaken?  Elsewhere I've learned that these wheels were intended to be run with tubes.
Am I mising something?  Why go  to all this trouble if you still end up with tubes?
Dazed and confused !!! Angry

IP Logged
TeamMarlony
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 07/24/19 at 11:22:33

If you put a 1983 to 1985 gs550L wheel on the rear, it will run tubeless. The picture of the teal 2013 S40  on the last page is mine. The front wheel is stock so it has a tube, but the rear mag wheel is tubeless. I listed out all the parts required for the rear wheel conversation. The front wheel is more complicated so I did not do that one.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #33 - 07/24/19 at 14:00:34

The 83 GS550 LD wheels have the word tubeless cast into them.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #34 - 07/24/19 at 14:52:31

Ok, thanks! I was looking for '80 to '82. If '83 is indeed tubeless, that's where I'll go.
A tubeless front would be my nirvana, as I have an irrational fear of a tube blowout, in spite of all the road bikes across planet earth using tubed front tires! Cheers! Cool

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #35 - 07/25/19 at 00:22:18

I found a couple of '83 rears on e-pay and the tubeless valve stem is pictured. Will carry on.
Cheers! Cool

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #36 - 07/26/19 at 15:56:58

Cheers!

Just a FYI: a 1981 GS450 19" front wheel can mount two rotors.

Just in case I don't like how my bike handles with a 16" wheel which came with the pair I bought last month. Plus I needed the 450 solid rotor. I obtained this 19" wheel for $40. I pried off the plastic cover on the hub and found this.

20190726_1845251.jpg

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #37 - 07/26/19 at 15:58:24

Then I grabbed the rotor from the 16" wheel and what do you know...

20190726_1845441.jpg

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #38 - 07/26/19 at 15:59:45

Spacing is the same on both sides according to my eyeballing.

20190726_1846341.jpg

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #39 - 07/26/19 at 16:14:38

So I just looked at my forks. The caliper mount is only slightly off center of the tube.
Correct me if I'm not thinking straight (2 shots of whiskey) but it looks to me that with a left fork assembly on the right side and some cleverly measured spacers you can rig up a dual brakes setup.

Am I wrong?

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #40 - 07/26/19 at 17:16:15

If you can make the brackets, have clearnce between the tubes, get a Y hose that will fit, and the will to make it work, maybe....
Or you could get a dual piston caliper from a SV650 (left side) and make just one bracket using the slotted disc (full size) and have a awesome single disc set-up.
That is what I have on mine and it is far better than the stock front brake.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #41 - 07/26/19 at 18:37:08

I do have the will to make it work. After countless near life-ending emergency stops it is my mission to make this bike safer.
Whether I have the technical ability remains to be tested.
I'd like to learn about your brake setup. Sounds nice....

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #42 - 07/26/19 at 19:40:07

About a year and a half ago Dave came up with the trick. He sent a caliper and bracket to fit a stock disc to MMRanch. I picked up on  it and thought as long as I am making a bracket, why not use the bigger uncut disc? I taped a piece of 14 gauge inslated electric wire to the outside of the disc to set-up the clearance, set the caliper where I wanted it and made a cardboard pattern. When I was happy with that I copied it onto 3/16'' steel, bolted it all together, took off the wire and it worked the first try!
I am very happy with the improvment in braking power. And I only have about $80 in it. A used caliper from e-bay, vented disc that came with the wheel, stock master cylnder and hose. When I first put on the 450's wheel I had to find a solid disc and it cost $95 to turn it down to stock dia. (that disc is on MMRanch's bike now)
Often guys get caught-up in HP to ''improve'' their bike, never thinking about brake upgrades to slow back down.
A old Waylon Jennings song talks about his first pistol  ''a cap & ball Colt, shoots as fast as lightning, but it loads a mite slow, it can get you into trouble but it can't get you out''
 I live in S.Fla and better brakes can help get me out of trouble as much as a quick throttle.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #43 - 07/26/19 at 20:12:43

Dude that's awesome! I love to hear about when people mock stuff up with wire and cardboard and translate it into actual working parts. I'm doing alot of that kinda thing right now rebuilding the kitchen in my old ladies house. One reason I keep pushing bike work back too.

It's interesting that such a small difference in brake rotor diameter works out to a big improvement in stopping power. I haven't brought my GS rotor to be cut yet. Maybe I'll see about keeping it as is like you did.

Funny thing. One of my neighbors bought an 02 Savage recently. He usually rides a Ninja. He loves the Savage. Tonight we went riding after swapping bike's and it was pretty gratifying to see I couldn't hang with my own bike riding his stock bike. It wasn't happening. My Thumpy outran me in straight acceleration and through the turns to an embarrassing degree.
But it made me think of all those near death experiences where I was going too fast for the brakes to do anything helpful fast enough.

This has to be addressed. Seriously. I'm going to look further into the dual brakes possibility. Failing that another solution.

Then once that's fixed I will make the bike faster  Wink

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #44 - 07/26/19 at 20:20:34

The dual piston caliper is the biggest boost in power, the bigger disc is just iceing. And the holes tell other Savage riders that 'something's' different.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 04:41:14

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › Cast Wheel Conversion with Pics

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.