Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Cast Wheel Conversion with Pics (Read 1982 times)
OldSport

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Front Cast Wheel Conversion with Pics
Reply #15 - 06/03/13 at 09:00:14

I bought a set of 83 GS450T wheels on ebay.  The specs on the bike listed the wheels as 18" wheels.  My fault that I didn't question the seller on the size of the wheels.  When they arrived they were 19" front and 17" rear.  The brake side fits perfectly on the rear but the drive is different.  I will have to convert to a chain drive if I use them but I am still undecided.  The front will be a similar conversion to what you did.

IP Logged
scubachef

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 06/07/13 at 18:55:10

Yeah, after doing some research on my own and asking around on the gs forum there is more to getting this swap to work than I previously expected. I will get the rear to work for my bike because now it is a challenge.....but in hindsight, I would have stuck with the spokes.

IP Logged
scubachef

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cast Wheel Conversion with Pics
Reply #17 - 02/27/14 at 11:21:39

This project is still alive.  I know I have left it unfinished up till now.  Life in the way big time, but now I am back on the bike and finished up the wheel conversion.  I still don't know what bike my rear wheel came from..the sprocket hub is from an '85 GS650E and the drum assembly is from a '78 GS550L.  But it is done so it is what it is and I will no longer buy off ebay without confirming measurements.  Lesson learned.  I laid out the front wheel conversion so here is the rear.  

16X2.75 GS rim Tubeless
140.90.16 Shinko Tourmaster 230 tire

To fit the tire I had to grind the bead on the inside of the swingarm and repaint but no cutting was necessary.  I checked the gaps rode a test run to make sure it was all good and then took it to work yesterday.  At 80 mph I have no rubbing issues so good to go.   The spacers are the stock spacers without modification but only one is in the stock location.  If your wheel fits the stock savage parts then it looks like you are good to go, but I am not using anything stock but the belt drive pulley so there was some measurement and head scratching until I got the correct placement and now the belt lined up perfectly and the wheel is nicely centered.  I had to fire up the ghetto machine shop to turn down the shoulder on the spacer inside the drive hub.

The belt tension is correct which I was worried about.  I thought I might have to do the chain since clearance at the front with the larger tire was a concern but I have the belt tensioned and could even go forward a touch without issue.  

So all and all I hope this shows the availability of a much larger OD on the rear tire while retaining the belt and without cutting the swinger. The OD of the front and rear tires is much closer so the stance is highly improved IMHO.  After riding for two days I definitely notice a positive difference in the bike and am happy that I got this done.    

IP Logged
Detuned
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 03/22/14 at 06:42:58

off hand, would you know the diameter of the rotor and how big of a offset it has?

IP Logged
scubachef

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re:  Cast Wheel Conversion with Pics
Reply #19 - 03/23/14 at 10:59:20

10.25" is the OD of the rotor. Not sure why the offset is, I would have to measure when I get home.

IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 04/07/14 at 14:57:58

I have a 07 Savage and want to do this mod.   So after reading this I'm a bit confused as to which parts I need exactly besides bolts and spacers.   What year and make wheels do I need and the same for the hubs etc...   I already have a chain conversion with a 17/43 if that matters.

IP Logged
scubachef

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 04/07/14 at 18:05:38

My journey was rough because my rear tire was not from the bike the seller described.   To use your current brakes and drive hub you will need:

-Wheels from a GS 550 or GS450 -years ranging from 82-85.  The 450's came with rear 17" rims, but they are 2.15 so basically a 120 is the fattest tire you can run.

-GS450 rotor.  A 550 rotor will not work as it is vented.  The rotor needs to be turned down to match the Savage rotor.  10.25" OD
Any automotive shop can do this on their brake lathe...that was how mine was done.  
-Spacers for the rotor.  Mine is spaced .24" but you may need to play with it.  

You will be able to modify the stock spacers front and back and will not need to purchase additional axle spacers.  

Hope that is more clear and concise.  

IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 04/13/14 at 14:55:43

scubachef wrote on 04/07/14 at 18:05:38:
My journey was rough because my rear tire was not from the bike the seller described.   To use your current brakes and drive hub you will need:

-Wheels from a GS 550 or GS450 -years ranging from 82-85.  The 450's came with rear 17" rims, but they are 2.15 so basically a 120 is the fattest tire you can run.

-GS450 rotor.  A 550 rotor will not work as it is vented.  The rotor needs to be turned down to match the Savage rotor.  10.25" OD
Any automotive shop can do this on their brake lathe...that was how mine was done.  
-Spacers for the rotor.  Mine is spaced .24" but you may need to play with it.  

You will be able to modify the stock spacers front and back and will not need to purchase additional axle spacers.  

Hope that is more clear and concise.  

I've been looking at a lot of wheels online and the rear doesn't seem difficult to find the right one,  but most of the front wheels have a width of 1.85in,  but they're still running or stock 100/90/19 tires,  so would that work or is this a matter of the year being wrong.   Coincidently enough, I found a GS550L wheel (year wasn't specified)  on eBay and it already has a GS450 rotor on it and it comes with a good tire.   The width wasn't specified,  but if it works in getting it,  only asking like $30 for it!   Two birds with one stone... hopefully.

IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 04/13/14 at 14:58:48

And to clarify,  I NEED to have a 79-82 rear for a drop in replacement,  or if other things needed?

IP Logged
scubachef

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 04/13/14 at 19:08:55

What I ended up doing to finish this up was just shoot a quick message to the seller asking for ID measurements of the pulley and brake sides of the wheel.  It seems to me that a cast wheel that is 16x2.50 seem to all be the same. I wanted a 2.75 to get the fattest tire I could and that seemed to be where the rub was.  For the front, I contacted Shinko which was the tire I chose and spoke to them about tire fitment. It is safe to mount a 100/90/19 to a 1.85 front and a 110/90/19 to a 2.15 but those should be considered the safety limit. It presents an issue with crowning the tire, but is not a safety thing.  

My advice is just ask a quick measurement from the seller to get the right wheels. Without fitment issues of the brake and pulley you literally can do this swap in two hours.

IP Logged
elricfate

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 06/11/18 at 07:51:25

Has anyone else done this, recently, with an updated parts list?

IP Logged
TeamMarlony
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 04/03/19 at 09:22:41

I went through this recently and wanted to give a list of the required parts and years that I know will work.

I only looked at the GS550L rear wheels. 1981 and 1982 will NOT work. The drum is too large and the sprocket bolt pattern diameter is too small. I recieved a 1983 GS550L wheel and it worked perfectly. 1983 through 1986 all have the exact same sizes according to oem website. Check measurements! I list the two important ones later. What you need to buy is the wheel with the rubber sprocket bumpers (shock absorbers) in place. You will also need the sprocket hub (retainer drum). This is the part that the sprocket bolts on to and fits into the bumpers. The retainers(part 12) measured to be the same as the S40 so you may not need them. The bolts in the sprocket are different than the S40 so you need these too.

Everything in parentheses above is what the oem website calls them:
https://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oemparts/a/suz/50d3f871f8700230d8b4cf0c/rear...

So you will use the drum brake, spacers, axle rod, pulley, and left end bolt and washer from the S40. The sprocket hub from the GS550L will be bolted with GS550L bolts to the S40 pulley. Everything goes back on the bike the same way it came off.

There are probably other wheels that work, but I can confirm this one. Make sure when buying the wheel you check that the drum brake reads 160.7mm as max size and the bolt diameter on the sprocket is 100mm. Also, make sure the bearings are still all good or buy new ones.

I know there are experts who know a TON more about this than me, but feel free to ask me any questions.

I am attaching a pic of the bike with the wheel. Thanks.

20190403_102201.jpg
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #27 - 06/19/19 at 15:10:37

So the drum, sprocket part # 8 is necessary? The equivalent S40 part won't fit here?

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #28 - 06/19/19 at 22:24:32

philthymike wrote on 06/19/19 at 15:10:37:
So the drum, sprocket part # 8 is necessary? The equivalent S40 part won't fit here?

I used all savage parts to fit the gs wheel in the bike.

WWW   IP Logged
TeamMarlony
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 06/20/19 at 07:48:56

I tried to use the hub from the S40 and it fit pretty well. The bumpers were tighter with the gs550 hub so I used it. They both have the same bolt pattern for the pulley and seem to be the same width to fit within the swing arm.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 09:07:20

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › Cast Wheel Conversion with Pics

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.