Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sissy bar taller?? (Read 139 times)
B.J. and Jo

Colorado Springs, CO.
Sissy bar taller??
04/18/13 at 16:52:39

Noob here, is there anyway to make the stock sissy bar and pad taller? I thought I saw a "second set of holes" in the sissy bar, I noticed the bar attaches to the bottom of the side rails by short allen bolts. Wondered if I used, Longer Allen Bolts if I could raise the "height" of the sissy bar a couple of inches?  Thanks for any clue, it's appreciated.  Smiley

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Re: Sissy bar taller??
Reply #1 - 04/18/13 at 17:48:33

I was thinkin' the same thing. The wife wants to give her sister a ride and doesn't trust the low hieght of the sissy bar. So I am going to lowe's and buy some 3/4" Square stock and bend it myself to make a higher one. Don't know if it will work, but we shall see.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #2 - 04/18/13 at 18:16:58

I just installed the pad I took off of my 950. Just had to drill 2 new holes to mount it & it sticks up quite a bit higher. You may not have to raise the bar unless you want a really tall one. Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
B.J. and Jo

Colorado Springs, CO.
Reply #3 - 04/19/13 at 08:26:04

RidgeRunner13 wrote on 04/18/13 at 18:16:58:
I just installed the pad I took off of my 950. Just had to drill 2 new holes to mount it & it sticks up quite a bit higher. You may not have to raise the bar unless you want a really tall one. Cool

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n94/Pappygt13/FILE0538_zpsf540689f.jpg

Humm, that looks interesting, I guess I'll look for some oversized HD backrest's and see if I can do what you did! Cool Don't need it real high my wife is only 5ft. 0in. but the stock pad is hitting her spine in a bad place for longer rides! Sad

IP Logged
B.J. and Jo

Colorado Springs, CO.
Reply #4 - 04/19/13 at 08:29:05

old_rider wrote on 04/18/13 at 17:48:33:
I was thinkin' the same thing. The wife wants to give her sister a ride and doesn't trust the low hieght of the sissy bar. So I am going to lowe's and buy some 3/4" Square stock and bend it myself to make a higher one. Don't know if it will work, but we shall see.

Alas I live in a 3rd. floor apt. and my tiny "SHOP" is suited more to working on our bicycles than on our Scoot! Sad I still may try the Longer Bolt Theroy, LOL and see it that would work. I'll try to find "stainless steel bolts hoping they will be strong enough to take the slack and weight at a higher point.  Smiley

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 04/19/13 at 09:29:18

Longer bottom bolts will work fine. Total lift is roughly 1", so it may help. If you need more than that, get a bar for a Dyna and have new holes drilled and tapped after making sure it will fit okay... I'd send you my spare but there is no way to add a backrest pad without ruining the ankh  in the center of the bar, and you'd get hassled a lot by those who remember that symbol being adopted by nudists in the 70s...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
B.J. and Jo

Colorado Springs, CO.
Reply #6 - 04/19/13 at 12:52:11

WD wrote on 04/19/13 at 09:29:18:
Longer bottom bolts will work fine. Total lift is roughly 1", so it may help. If you need more than that, get a bar for a Dyna and have new holes drilled and tapped after making sure it will fit okay... I'd send you my spare but there is no way to add a backrest pad without ruining the ankh  in the center of the bar, and you'd get hassled a lot by those who remember that symbol being adopted by nudists in the 70s...

WD, thanks for the info, even a "inch" might be a help! Smiley Still I wouldn't mind being chased about by "Nude Women from the 70's"! Wink The nude men would be a bit of bummer for me but not so for the wife if we were "2 up" Shocked Grin

IP Logged
rfbznb

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

laurel lake, nj
Reply #7 - 04/20/13 at 07:26:21

here is the pad I used it is a little taller I also used 5/8" square stock and added 6" to the bar

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Backrest-Sissy-Bar-Cushion-Pad-Honda-Yamaha-Suzuki-Ka...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:22:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Sissy bar taller??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.