Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Jardine Exhaust Leak (Read 145 times)
Jolly Executioner

Waiuku, New Zealand
Jardine Exhaust Leak
04/17/13 at 19:25:42

So I just received my jardine muffler.
After trying to install I noticed one of the two mounts that mount to the bracket on the frame was slightly wonky, maybe due to damage from being shipped to NZ from the US.
This made it a pain in the ass to install but I got there eventually but now it doesn't even seem like the muffler fits on the header properly?
When I start up the bike I can feel air pushing out from where the muffler connects to the header, mainly from the bottom.
It also sounds pretty much just as loud as it did with no muffler.

Hope these pictures show you what I mean.

Am I doing something wrong or should I send it back?

Cheers.

« Last Edit: 04/18/13 at 01:42:12 by Jolly Executioner »  

IMG_0193.JPG
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Jardine Exhaust Leak
Reply #1 - 04/17/13 at 22:29:04

I appreciate the pics,... but, I'm not familiar with the Jardine... so, I'm nor gettin' much... (yer' clamp looks beefy enough)...
... but,.. here's what I do with other muffs...
Loosen, everything... keep the bolts in place, but loose...
Then, tighten at the head first,... then, the muff clamp,.. then at the end... (there is a bit of flex available)...
If that don't work... buy an extra exhaust gasket,... and double it up... I have two on mine...(they are crush gaskets, and if the first one is too crushed, it can't seal)...(a new one might work alone,.. but, I use two,.. to make sure I'm out far enough for the bolts to pull tight)...
DON'T overtighten!... and use a bit of anti-seize on all exhaust bolts...
From there,.. if the muffler bolts just won't line up,... drill new holes... or send it back... your choice...
JMHO... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Jolly Executioner

Waiuku, New Zealand
Reply #2 - 04/17/13 at 22:53:43

Cheers serow, I have some gaskets coming so will try all that.
Just came off my bike on the crappy new gravely road down from my place so sending the muffler back is no longer an option ahaha.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #3 - 04/17/13 at 23:04:51

I can tell you from experience the Jardine is loud as hell, and to boot it's a very hard to tune the engine with muffler. It's basically an open exhaust aka straight pipe. When I bought my Savage it had one on it, and I got ride of it to another member not long after I bought the Savage, it was way to loud for my taste. If you hare having that hard of a time getting it to seal up try cutting a few slits in the muffler connection to the header pipe end to allow it to compress easier to the header pope. Just don't cut them so long that they cause a leak themselves. With it being a basically open pipe you will loose some bottom end torque on the engine but gain some power on the top end if properly tuned, but good luck on tuning it as with any open muffler or open pipe they are tricky to tune properly without massive after fire issues ore between shift issues, Not to mention the shut down shotgun blasts from it. It might be easier to tune with the VM carb but I never tried it as I haven't come up with the cash for that yet, but I'm trying to, ,but I'll never know as I got rid of the Jardine as it was just way to loud for my taste anyways.

I wish you all the luck in the world and hope you like the extra loud exhaust that you have now.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Jolly Executioner

Waiuku, New Zealand
Reply #4 - 04/18/13 at 01:39:14

Yeah I have to admit it is a nuts load louder than I was expecting haha.
Cheers for the info mate.

Would some kind of makeshift sleeve for the end of the header work?

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #5 - 04/18/13 at 10:08:44

From the picture, it almost looks as if the clamp is closed completely.  If this is the case, you may need a smaller clamp.  Undecided

IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #6 - 04/18/13 at 18:24:24

Cut a strip of aluminum foil just slightly narrower than the muffler clamp so it won't show....wrap  it around the pipe a few times ...acts like a spacer under the clamp so you can tighten down on the pipe some more...add more foil as needed until the joint is tight. The foil can handle oven temps in excess of 500 degrees so it won't melt on your pipe...I have done this and it works! Cheaper than buying a new clamp.

Live To Ride...Ride To Live
WWW   IP Logged
gdrseeker

Addicted!!

Carson Valley NV
Reply #7 - 04/18/13 at 19:38:55

Weld the muffler to the header pipe.  I have a Jardine on mine and it is tuned well.  took a bit of adjusting but it got there.  I also welded mine together to be sure there are no leaks.

1996 Savage, Jardine, K&N, 145 / 55 jets, 1 turn out at 5000 ft. elevation.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 00:19:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Jardine Exhaust Leak

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.