A few questions: (Read 90 times)
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
A few questions:
04/17/13 at 13:24:59

1: I bought a new cover for the bike a year ago. It is still in good shape but I want to wash it and treat it to keep it water proof and UV resistant.
What would you suggest?
2: I want to treat the tires as well. I realize that most tire treatments won't work because they make the tires too slippery. Has anyone found one that is suitable?
3: has anyone found a nice looking mud flap the fits the front fender? Stainless maybe?

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
johnnyyuma
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

bettendorf, ia
Re: A few questions:
Reply #1 - 04/17/13 at 13:42:58

Regarding the tires, I recently tried black conventional kiwi shoe polish (you rub it in with a rag, just like you would on a pair of shoes) then took a shoe brush and polished it up.  Looks great, I was very impressed.  Of course I don't use it on the tread area of the tire.  I don't ride in rain or otherwise get the tires wet so I assume there wouldn't be any runoff to the treads and make them slippery.

2009 Suzuki S40/2008 Honda CMX250C
  IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #2 - 04/17/13 at 20:28:51

A good tire and wheel cleaner and a stiff bristle brush will blacken the tire right up.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 04/17/13 at 23:22:48

Check tent maintenance stuff, sporting goods, they know about waterproofing & maintaining stuff.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #4 - 04/18/13 at 04:43:02

As far as the cover you're always just best off having a quality cover that is designed to last and ventilate properly, especially if you store your bike outdoors and that is it's only protection from the elements.  I learned this the hard way growing up in a sea side community, a good cover makes a huge difference fending off rust and corrosion.

Scotchgarding works for only a short period of time unless your not taking the cover off and on, when you take the cover off and the material contracts from folding and rolling it degrates the scotchgard. So to get the full benefits you have to reapply fairly often.

Silicon sprays like "camp dry" and such work well, but they tend to degrade most tent/cover materials over time causing premature drying and cracking.

If your bike cover is made of a wter resistant breathable material and doesn't have vents built in sprays may cause different problems making a greenhouse effect.

I'm assuming that the area your bike sits is in the open since you asked about water proofing and UV protection, the best combination if it is feasible is to have a cover that breaths well and is water resistant and have a tarp over that but not resting againt the cover.  IE: if it's next to a house or shed make a tarp lean to and park the bike under it covered.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 04:15:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › A few questions:

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.