Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Vibration / Buzz at highway speed (Read 334 times)
Mattdw

Frisco, TX
Re: Vibration / Buzz at highway speed
Reply #15 - 04/17/13 at 11:45:00

Start with checking the TOP motor mount. I bought a Savage for cheap and the guy thought something was wrong with it. So did I.  At highway speeds it felt like your teeth were gonna rattle right out of your head.

I brought it to a sealership and they told me they checked all the mounts and suggested I buy new tires. I bought the new tires. A few hundred dollars later, no change. I decided to tear into it myself. 5 minutes and zero dollars later I confirmed the top motor mount loose. Righty tighty and it drove perfectly.

I've learned my lesson at taking any of my bikes to a stealership.

IP Logged
boratedoc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 04/17/13 at 12:02:24

Mattdw

I've had a similar experience with a stealerships in past. From merely complete incompetence, well into outright fraud. Burned too often, only reason I would ever visit one again would be to buy new (if that). Owned Yamis, Honda, Kaw & now Zuke, seems there is little differenece. Won't even trust them for warranty work. Whether idiot or crook, resulta are same. I'm sure there are good ones out there, but I'm over spending my hard earned cash looking.

Guess a tank removal is in order to check top mount which seems a likely culprit. Is this a one person job or should I arrange for a buddy to help? Any other helpful hints appreciated.

Thanks!

IP Logged
Mattdw

Frisco, TX
Reply #17 - 04/17/13 at 12:12:15

boratedoc wrote on 04/17/13 at 12:02:24:
Guess a tank removal is in order to check top mount which seems a likely culprit. Is this a one person job or should I arrange for a buddy to help? Any other helpful hints appreciated.

Thanks!

One person...super easy. Remove seat, remove tank.

IP Logged
v-pilot

Loud bikes rule!

Rexford NY
Reply #18 - 04/17/13 at 16:59:47

easy...Just be careful of the petcock against the frame

Suzuki DR650, aprilia RSVR, aprilia Falco, Bimota DB4(2x)
Moto Guzzi V10, Ducati 900ss, Triumph Trident, Suzuki LS650
Moto Guzzi Le Mans SE(2x), Moto Guzzi V50, Benelli 250, Ducati 250
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #19 - 04/17/13 at 17:03:01

I take the petcock off. It makes it a lot easier.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
boratedoc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 04/18/13 at 19:58:05

You guys nailed the problem! Very loose top center motor mount @ frame tube and also the front bottom one @ pegs was not tight enough. The rest of the mounts were good.

Improvement was evident immediately, even at low rpms & lower speed - MUCH, MUCH SMOOTHER! Now there's just a little buzz beginnning @ 55 - 60 (which was as fast as I got for just a short stretch today) but not uncomfortable at all, nowhere near like before. Almost like a different bike - yes, THAT much improvement! I can definitley live with this!

I realize now this problem has existed since I've owned the bike (I bought it used but with less than 100 miles on it) and suspect the top bolt never got torqued down properly at the factory - althought it looked snug, the entire bolt & nut turned easily with the slightest effort. I wonder now if this was the reason why the original owner traded it in on another bike with so few miles on it.

Many thanks to all who responded with your suggestions and advice!

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #21 - 04/18/13 at 21:10:17

RE the buzz, if it sounds like a loose or dry roller bearing push your hand down on the speedo when the noise comes in, if the buzz goes away it will be in the speedo.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 04:19:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Vibration / Buzz at highway speed

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.